“VA Aviation Museum”
Review of Virginia Aviation Museum - CLOSED

Virginia Aviation Museum
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The museum is located by the airport. It had several displays that were interactive (they could be touched, played with or sat in). A lot of attention was put into this collection, which had both private and military planes, and also included artifacts, posters, antiques and memorabilia from each time period. It was well done and worth the visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've flown in and out of Richmond International Airport many, many times and often wanted to stop at this museum because of the SR-71 and F-14 out in front. Today I finally did, thanks in large part to a local deal that got us four tickets at half price. I'm glad I only paid $13. Any more and I would have felt ripped off. Sad to say, I'm also glad I never read any of the other reviews on here because that would have increased my expectations even more. We were ready to go after an hour. Caveat: my boys are 5 and 3. They may have enjoyed it more if they were older.
What's good: lots of actual planes from the 30s and 40s; over a hundred scale models of other planes; several very well done dioramas of WWII battles/scenes; good facts about the rare SR-71 out front; fine collection of air force art.
What's bad: the collection has very few items from beyond the 1950s, the F-14, SR-71 and A6 Corsair out front notwithstanding. Would have liked some more items from the past 50 years. It's rather small; I thought there'd be more. With the Air and Space Museum and the Dulles extension so close (and free), this suffers by comparison. I have to recommend making the drive up to D.C. or Dulles if you want something like this.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've been to several aviation museums in the U.S. and the Virginia Aviation Museum is one of the better small ones I've visited. It's not the Udvar-Hazy National Air & Space Museum but it's also not an all day affair. Good place for parents with kids that have some interest in aviation or adults that what to spend some time in a local aviation museum with the crowds.

1  Thank CaptMancuso
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

All kinds of great airplanes to look at, and interesting information. Some good exhibits on the physics of flight and an interesting section on byrd's flights in Antarctica. not too taxing...a nice way to spend a hot afternoon in Richmond, and not at all expensive.

1  Thank tenismagic
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Visited over the 4th of July weekend with spouse. I guess I was disappointed because I went in with high expectations and comparisons to such museums like the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum, the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio, and the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. This is not on par with those large collections. The obvious star of this museum is the SR-71 parked outside the front entrance, along with an F-14 Tomcat and a Virginia Air National Guard A-7 to the side. There are several placards all around the SR-71 with great tidbits of information. However, it being exposed to the elements as it is, is beginning to take a toll on this legendary aircraft. Fading paint, bird droppings on the underside wheel wells, etc. On the inside of the facility, there are several static displays, most of which are from the 1910s to pre-World War II. No warbirds with the exception of a Spad XIII; no WWII aircraft or jets with the exception of what's outside. Some interesting displays. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for at $6.50 per person. The facility is well-kept and clean, and the staff was friendly enough. All-in-all, it'll take up an hour of your day.

2  Thank monon43