“Nice little Indian Resturant”
Review of Alcove Restaurant - CLOSED

Alcove Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Alcove founded with one dream - to serve delicious Indian food in a modern, quick-casual setting, Alcove offers fast and fresh Indian cuisine at affordable prices. The food is flavorful yet mild and designed to be lighter and healthier. We like this to be as one of "Healthy Fast and FLAVORFUL food" options available in downtown Richmond, VA.
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Surprisingly, it did not have the usual curry dishes. It was nice to try something new. I has a selection of very spicy, vegetable appetizers. Wish there had been more vegetarian fare, however, it made for a nice lunch.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Richmond, and the rest of the world for that matter, do yourself a favor and get yourselves down to one of the most delicious Indian restaurants in Virginia, no, make that the world. My wife and I have traveled around the world, and I am a Brit who grew up surrounded by the cuisine, with all its sights and smells, of India. Our favorite food is Indian so we are always on the lookout for great Indian food when we are on the road. This week was no exception. We were staying some 6 miles outside of Richmond, but had read the reviews and decided that Alcove, located downtown, was our dining destination for that evening. We could never have guessed that we were about to encounter the best Indian meal of our lives. The first signs were not promising. It was a Tuesday evening and when we walked through the door, the restaurant was completely empty. Although, come to think of it now, so was the rest of downtown Richmond. We were warmly greeted by our server, the charming Melanie, and shown to our table.

We perused the menus and most of the staple dishes were present and correct, along with some that we had come across before from time to time. The first thing we ordered was Chai Tea, which was so different from the usual chai teas we order, so creamy and subtle. Our expectations were raised a little bit. This is going to be good we thought. We were not wrong. Well actually we were. It was not good, IT WAS AMAZING!

The first dish to arrive at our table was Gobi 65, an appetizer of cauliflower. My wife had asked for it to be cooked without its usual batter coating, and Melanie had come back to the table and told us that chef was concerned that the dish would not be the same if cooked without batter. We said it would be okay but it was clear that here was a chef that took great care with everything he prepared. Chef needn't have worried. The Gobi 65 turned out to be spectacular. Even I, a cauliflower non-believer, loved it. With every single dish that came out of the kitchen, our jaws dropped, and we were looking at each other in stunned silence….

“You have to taste this” we kept saying to each other.

It was clear that chef, back in the kitchen, had an incredible knowledge of the complexities of Indian food. It was all so multi-layered. How he could have raised such regular dishes as Chicken Tikka Masala or Saag Paneer to such exquisite new levels was incredible. Sublime, astounding, delicious were all words that spring to mind. The chef in question turned out to be a young gentleman by the name of Arulmani Natarajan, who we had the great pleasure of meeting and talking to. Turns out, Mani, as the staff all call him, is a Chettinad Tamil, from the southern part of India, who had worked in both India and Dubai before finding himself in Richmond. Chettinads are considered master chefs, and Chettinad cuisine is one of the spiciest and the most aromatic in India. Hence, the incredible depth of flavor in his signature dish of Shrimp Chettinadu. There was not a single step out of place in our meal and every mouthful of food was a sheer delight.

I don’t know when we will get back to Richmond, or even if Alcove will still be there, but we will be keeping in touch with Mani, because wherever he is cooking, that is where we want to be eating.

So, like I said, do yourselves a favor, and get yourselves down to Alcove and discover what true crafted Indian cuisine can taste like. You won’t be disappointed!

2  Thank DONNASTA11
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for an amazing Indian meal!! I stopped in walking through the main st downtown area and I am so happy that I did. From the moment I walked in I was greeted with a sincere welcoming smile and seated to be served. My waitress (Melanie) was extremely helpful in assisting me in my meal choice and service was prompt! My experience in an Indian Cuisine has been enlightened by this place, (really got my digestive tract moving too ) I really loved the atmosphere, very elegant place and comfortable environment. The restaurant was very well maintained and tidy. Did not have to wait very long and the staff are all very welcoming! Will most certainly be going back and encourage anyone who wants a fine dining experience and courteous smiles to head over!

1  Thank A S
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

A friend and I went there for an early dinner and I won't go there again. We were THE only ones there, so you would think things would be clean. All of the tables were dirty...then I made the mistake of looking under the table...food all over the place. So I thought maybe someone was seated there before us. Nope. They were all dirty. I asked what kind of cocktails did they serve and no one knew...I mean 3 people came and asked what I wanted to drink but there wasn't anyone there that could serve concoct one. Then since it was so slow the owner or manager thought it was OK to plop down a few table from us with his laptop and hangout on his computer while everyone else was texting. The food wasn't very good at all. Then to add insult to injury...we had to get up and ask for our own check because everyone else was in the back except for the guy on the laptop and he went in the back and got them to bring our check out. Poor...very poor. Maybe the laptop guy should have been cleaning the tables or grabbing a broom.