“Bland. On Top of Bland.”

Shackleford's Restaurant & Raw Bar
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Description: “A Winning Formula” and “Worth the Wait” are just a few of the headlines describing Shackleford’s Restaurant & Raw Bar since 1993. We invite you to visit us and experience a locally owned restaurant with a personal touch. Our mission is to ensure each and every customer enjoys his or her experience and will return in the future. Shackleford’s has developed into a dining tradition in the West End of Richmond. The restaurant is family owned and operated since 1993.Our philosophy is to consistently provide quality service, the finest products, reasonable prices, and a relaxed yet festive atmosphere. The menu features a mix of regional American grilled and sautéed cuisine with an emphasis on fresh seafood and raw bar. Shackleford’s is a family name synonymous with the Chesapeake Bay area; we invite you to enjoy and experience the tradition of Shackleford’s.
Richmond, Virginia
“Bland. On Top of Bland.”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I don’t know how you go about extracting the flavor from food, but these guys found a way to do it. I don’t think I have ever had such a flat tasting meal in a restaurant before. My daughter actually had a gift certificate to eat at Schacklefords. Good thing. If I had paid for this I would have been pretty agitated. As it was I was merely disappointed.

We got lobster bisque and French onion (lots of salt in that one) soups. I think the highlight was the lump of crab meat in the middle of the bisque. Other than that, the bisque had no real character.

Lunch was a cheeseburger for my daughter and a rib eye steak sandwich for me. I am not exaggerating – no flavor in any of it. I could not tell that they even put salt or pepper on anything. Even the fries didn’t taste, well, like fries. Honestly, we are not picky eaters. You can see that almost all my reviews of restaurants are positive. Or average.

Maybe their advertised raw bar is better, who knows. We are oyster lovers but it wasn’t the right season.

To give credit where it is due, the service was outstanding. Our server Hannah was right on the ball.

If I had another gift certificate for this place, I think I would give to you. No charge.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank slovaktoo

Glen Allen, Virginia
“Great night out”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We ate at Shackleford's Restaurant one Tuesday night where they have burgers and fries for $5. What a burger.....larger, dressed with lettuce, onion, and tomato and your choice of condiments. The fries are large and plentiful too. They have a wonderful patio area for eating on starting in Spring. We ate there one evening and it couldn't have been more romatic even with another couple. The service was awesome, ours teas and colas were never empty and neither were our stomaches...Great place to eat. We eat there at least once a month. When in Richmond, go where the locals go.....SHACKLEFORD's.

• Visited September 2011
“Always popular”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The food is always good, and this a popular restaurant every night. It's a good mixture of seafood with a raw bar as well as steaks, ribs, and salads.

Charlottesville, VA
“Overrated, Underdelivered”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Craving seafood, so we googled restaurants. Reviews were promising for this place 60 miles away from home. Appetizers: The mild spicy crab dip had no spice to it, but tasty with the wrapped cracked and hot dinner rolls. Baby Steamer should be called Tiny Steamer. Miniature oysters and clams w/ Jumbo Shrimps with the signature crackers in wrappers. The main entrees: Entree #1: Shrimp & Crab Crepes over dirty rice, asparagus, drizzled with a cream sauce. Asparagus overcooked, bland. However the crepes had flavor. Strikingly resemble chicken dumplings stuffed in crepes over rice (definitely not dirty. Entreee #2: Scallops over spinach with a cream sauce and smoked bacon. SUPERB! Not impressed with the Oktoberfest beer or Raspberry Mojito (very sour; wheres the liquor and mint?). Clean bathrooms, tables, and very pleasant wait staff. Might return; Might Not.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook