“Spacious room; terrible internet connection”

Best Western Plus Governor's Inn
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Colonial Heights, Virginia
“Spacious room; terrible internet connection”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I concur with kariann11. The facility is beautiful, quiet, and my room was very large. The parking lot is set back from the street which adds privacy and I didn't worry about my car and its contents. The breakfast was good with lots of choices.

The downfall was the internet. The wireless connection in my room was extremely slow and the business center's connection was worse. I couldn't even access the Best Western website to provide feedback or book another room.

My room did not have a do not disturb sign so while I was at breakfast, the maid entered my room. Also, you cannot take food out of the breakfast area which may be a concern for some people but not a problem for me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
maxkeeton, General Manager at Best Western Plus Governor's Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Thank you for your review. Right now we are using a T1 connection. We are looking forward to FIOS when it becomes available in our area. At the present time the bandwidth is divided between the guests that are online at the same time. I appologize for the slow connection. I do hope to have this corrected in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Richmond, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I've stayed at this hotel many times and enjoyed myself. This time however, after asking for linen service, the non-English-speaking housekeeper handed us the sheets to change the bed as if she couldn't understand the request. The manager was unable to get her to the room after I notified him, and after an hour, I chased the housekeeper down myself. After being overcharged for the room, I could not get resolution via email or phone, so I stopped by. The manager was EXTREMELY rude and has no business working with people. During our stay, my friend also witnessed him being derogatory and condescending to the staff while she was in the business office trying to print a document (which, incidentally she was never able to do). The manager, Chuck, is enough to make me take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 1VAgirl
maxkeeton, Manager at Best Western Plus Governor's Inn, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
My name is Joseph Joyce. I replaced this Manager in January 2011. I have since been in contact with this guest and she has stayed at this property since this posting.
I would like to inform everyone that this particular "Manager" is NO LONGER EMPLOYED HERE OR WITH ANY OTHER BEST WESTERN!
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay very much. The facility is beautiful, quiet, rooms are very large and staff is warm and friendly. We will stay there again. It is set back from the street which adds to privacy and quiet. Appears to be a safe neighborhood. The breakfast is good with lots of choices. If you want a Dvd player you must bring your own.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The entire staff was friendly and helpful. And...the place was SO CLEAN I could walk on the carpet with out feeling disgusted! The beds were comfortable and had no sag - YAY! Breakfast was plentiful and it actually had GOOD hot items with the awesome, but not so healthy waffles. I could had settle for a yogurt but decided to go for the waffle anyways. I highly recommend it and plan to stay there again on my next trip!

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Stayed one night with my teenage niece. When we first arrived she was "creeped out" by the boarded up brick structure near the entrance and the mannequin in the registration area. It is mostly all brick which can be neat/historic but can also feel like you're in a basement/dungeon. Then we went upstairs to our room on 3rd floor which was at the end. It was an unusually long room with a big hump under the carpet, two queen beds and the TV really far away and an overbearing armoire - I was creeped out this time. We went down and asked for another room. The manager hesitated but gave us one saying all rooms were that way. Not true. The next room was just fine. Beds were comfy and the room was clean with no armoire or weird bumps under the carpet. The hotel area seemed safe. We did notice smoke smell that evening and called downstairs. They said 2nd floor allowed smoking so bummer their smoke smell came up into our room. I am thankful for all NS hotels. Breakfast was your typical hotel breakfast. Not an exceptionally great rate but that area is all higher priced, except the Super 8 which had awful reviews. No inside pool and outside pool was not open, maybe that's what was boarded up? So, unless money is no object and you can afford nicer, this hotel will work for a night's stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
wales, uk
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The hotel is lovely - it's just too far out of the way and difficult to find. Great room - huge and comfortable. Front desk staff so helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Morgan Co, AL
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Staff was extremely friendly. Small breakfast offered, spotless. Bed was comfy. Room was huge. I loved that you could open the windows. Lots of restuarants on Midlothian Turnpike. Convenient location. I was very satisfied.

• Liked — Location, windows that open.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)