“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #12 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Sumter
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We had to leave the Comfort Inn, they gave us smoking rooms. The room we stayed in was smelly, we had to put a sheet on the chair, and there were cracks and stains on the walls and the carpet. After, spending a miserable night, I went down to the Best Western. Mr. Joyce and his staff were very professional. They found us rooms and recommended an excellent restaurant. We were very pleased with our stay and plan to make the Best Western chain our choice of hotel when we have to travel. Again, Mr. Joyce and his staff went far above and beyond their duties.

Room Tip: We had rooms on both floors, they were all excellent.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Joseph J, General Manager at Best Western Plus Governor's Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Kenneth B,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. I'm pleased you found your stay here with us enjoyable. I'm happy we could meet your needs and thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. Our staff prides itself on providing a great experience for our guests and I can't wait to pass on your kind words to them.

Thanks again for your great feedback. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Joseph Joyce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
chilhowie
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Great place to stay. The building and rooms are very attractive. We have stayed here several years during the state basketball tourney. The staff was excellent and very friendly. We were placed in the second building because of the loud music from the night-club. The first main buuilding also had a strong smokers odor. Ask to be placed in the second building out at the pool.
Driving into Richmond and back is a chore because of the toll booths. Unless youi are familar with them you might miss them because of the fast traffic. Then youi might get a ticket. Trying to get to them at night is even worse unless you are familar with the roads.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the 2nd building. No loud music and no smoke odor. Beware of toll booths that c...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I travel on my job and it is important for me to find a property that is safe secure and to make my "bean counters" at work happy, a good value. Beat Western Governor's Inn in Richmond is that place for me. Joe Joyce and staff go all out to be sure all of their guest have totally satisfying
experience. The rooms are clean and spacious, the bed's comfort is perfect, the rooms exude a kind of Colonial Class, hence the name Governor's Inn.I have now stayed at least 6 times and multiple nights and so far it has been and is Always a Great Stay.

Room Tip: The swimming pool is located in the rear building area so keep that I mind when making a reservation...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a good place to stay in the area. Our room was more than adequate, although it would have been nice to have been provided with more than one towel per guest. It was however clean and comfortable. The hotel is old and rooms are located in different buildings which is ok but not ideal. The breakfast was good - it was our bad luck to be sharing it with a large group of soccer players!!!! Very good value overall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The whole building smelt of cigarette smoke. The whole hotel was very nice and very very clean. I just didn't like the smell. They should install some smoke eaters all around the building or something. Other hotels that have smoking rooms don't have this problem, why do they?

Room Tip: Stay in the non-smoking BUILDING ( not just N/S Room ), but you still have to check in and out of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Joseph J, General Manager at Best Western Plus Governor's Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear ollerubmat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Our staff takes pride in providing an exceptional guest experience to all visitors of our hotel. I'm happy that you were pleased with the property and found the accommodations to your liking. On the other hand, I sincerely apologize for the smoke smell you encountered during your visit. I'm disappointed that it adversely affected your stay and I appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention. We take your comments very seriously and are currently in the process of converting the hotel to a 100% non-smoking property. I do hope that your recent experience hasn't permanently marred your opinion of our hotel and that you will come back to stay with us. (We'll definitely make sure to reserve a room in our totally smoke-free building!)

Again, thank you for your honest and helpful feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joseph Joyce
Sandston, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed here just one nite,a Saturday night and it was very exceptional. The lady at the front desk was polite and very informative. My room was on the first floor across from the dinning area. There was a little bit of bumping upstairs but nothing to complain about. I had a suite with a jacuzzi tub which was nice. There was a nice flat screen tv, HBO cable, internet access, a sofa and very comfortable bed. Everything was great but I wish I would of known about the bar/club on the other end of the building which would explain the traffic and the loud music. Overall the room was clean and comfortable and I would definately return and recommend to others. One of the best rooms I've stayed in!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise from bar and bumping frome upstairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lakida C
Joseph J, General Manager at Best Western Plus Governor's Inn, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear Lakida C,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Our staff takes pride in the level of service we provide and I'm happy to pass on your compliments to our front desk agent. Thank you for mentioning our clean, comfortable rooms and we are very pleased that you found the amenities to your satisfaction. I sincerely apologize for the disturbance from the bar/club. We are currently taking steps to better inform our guests of the noise potential and we will make sure to have a quieter room for you on your next visit. On a brighter note, we do consider it a huge compliment that you would refer fellow travelers to us and we really appreciate your recommendations. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2013

After reading so many excellent reviews from other customers who have stayed at this hotel, I was very disappointed when I arrived at the Best Western Plus Governor's Inn. The person who greeted me was not enthusiastic and she did not provide a warm welcome. The room was big; however, the hotel is old. The hallways were very wide,but the carpet was stained and there was a stale smell of smoke, even though it was a non-smoking floor. I had dinner at Tripp's, which I highly recommend, Breakfast at the hotel was mediocre. I would not recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business