“Best overall pub we've been in”
Review of Penny Lane Pub

Penny Lane Pub
Ranked #95 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We like going to Irish pubs for their beer and food. This pub was simply outstanding. We stayed two weeks at the Marriott which was only two blocks away and walked to the pub every evening for dinner. The menu has a great variety so we never got tired of the food. Their lamb shank is excellent. We also loved their steak salad, potato skins, fish and chips, shepherds pie and Cornish meat pies.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

You know you're in the right place when before you can even walk inside the owner says, "Welcome! You havin' a liquid lunch or a solid lunch?"

I love penny lane pub. I drive from Virginia Beach just to go there. The tables are a little bit dirty, but who cares when you have such great service? The Beef Brisket is absolutely delicious, never had a better sandwich in my whole life and the cider is DELICIOUS. I will keep coming back for more!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Food and service are good but the menu is small. I had the salmon, it was very good. They have an extensive beer list but it's average. Lots of cute decor and photos.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

...because I first read about it here, and I made it the one place I had to try on a quick visit to Richmond. It has all the requisite beers on draft for a good English pub. The fish and chips were delicious (well, the fish was--chips were okay, peas terrible). I'd read in advance that the upstairs was reserved for smoking and the downstairs was smoke-free. Well, that's partly true. To get to the smoke-free bar and room you have to walk through the patio area, which is somewhat open-air but filled with smokers. I think I'd have enjoyed my visit more if I actually got to speak with a Liverpudlian but there were none around that we saw. Too bad. I thought wearing my LFC hat might help start a conversation but I don't know if we'd have been able to hear one another anyway--the music was a bit loud for happy hour. And it was terrible, too. We seemed to be stuck in a shuffle of the Doors (ugh) and live Talking Heads (much better). I have a feeling this would be a great place to watch a Liverpool match but unfortunately I couldn't make it back the next morning.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Overall, this place was great. It has great character and it's fun to just sit and look around because of all the unique decor. The food is good but it is a general pub food kind of idea. The brie and cranberry chutney is AMAZING though and a must try! I enjoyed my dinner and if I wasn't just visiting for a short time, I would return here. As far as tourists go though, I think coming by and eating once is probably all I'd recommend, just to try it out.