“Excellent, as always.”

Ichiban
Ranked #570 of 1,639 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is still my favorite sushi spot. I am convinced that the one bad review was supposed to be from another restaurant. They have a very extensive selection, from the exotic to the classic. It is not the trendiest location in town, but you are coming for good sushi, right? I have not had a bad experience here once, and the staff is always friendly and on the ball. The rolls are phenomenal. The kanisu is perfection. The tataki is as fresh as you will find in the city. The sashmi is top quality. Don't be fooled by the shopping center localation. Fresh and creative, this place is still the hidden gem of Richmond sushi joints.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I visited Ichiban because the majority of the reviews here on TA and Yelp are great. I wish that were the case. The food was on par with the premade stuff at the grocery store. I've actually had better sushi at a grocery store.

The entire menu was just simple. That was not a huge issue but I didn't find anything exciting that jumped at me. We started with appetizers and they were bland. All together we got four rolls. They were bland and needed a lot of soy sauce to make them appetizing. I was hoping for so much better but that wasn't the case.

They were filled with cucumber or avocado that was tasteless. The cream cheese was tasteless. The rolls were horrible really. I was so disappointed I didn't go to Osaka as I had planned.

As if that wasn't bad enough. The service was lacking as well. The only thing that was as reviewers mentioned was the charm of the restaurant. What wasn't mentioned is that there is a chime on the door. When it opens it chimes loudly as if it is a convenient store. Every time someone comes in there is a loud chime. That gets old very fast while you're dining. They should drop the chime and get a hostess.

1  Thank Danie R
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My family of 4 have been regulars at this "neighborhood" Japanese restaurant for the last 6 or 7 years. It is family owned and very well staffed. They provide great service with a smile, use too quality ingredients and price things reasonably. There is nothing fancy about ichiban and that is part of the charm. The owner is always there and makes a point of stopping by each table
and getting to know her customers. I highly recommend the Godzilla and Dragon rolls, although all the ones we've had are good. The tempura and fried squid are also excellent.

1  Thank PaoloStatiUniti
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've been eating here for 6 years and the food and sushi are excellent; Ichiban offers a wide selection of sushi/rolls and has "classic" options as well as Americanized choices which should appeal to any sushi palate.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

First, let me say I have NEVER had a bad meal here! I've been here more times than I can count over the past 2 and a half years (when I met my boyfriend who introduced me to this place - who incidentally grew up eating sushi with a good friend from Japan - so I think he knows his stuff!).

It's a tiny, clean place with the most amazing sushi I've ever had! My boyfriend loves sashimi and he says it's amazing! We both love the tuna tataki. I like the fancy rolls, but the regular rolls are excellent as well. My favorite roll is the Tokyo roll, but they have a new roll that rocked my world called the Scad roll.

The price is reasonable and the staff is awesome! They are a family run place and honestly, you just couldn't get better service.

Go there!