“Superb salmon, perfectly cooked”
Review of Can Can Brasserie

Can Can Brasserie
Ranked #10 of 1,608 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Charlottesville, VA
“Superb salmon, perfectly cooked”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I was hesitant to order the salmon, because restaurants frequently overcook it. The waiter reassured me that the temperature of the fish was taken in order to determine the degree of doneness and that I could order it medium or well done. I ordered it medium and it was superb: Perfect doesn't begin to describe how delicious my meal was. It was plated beautifully, too. I found myself eating more slowly because I wanted to delay the end of my food. My husband had the trout, which I tasted, and it, too, was delicious. His trout (the Saturday special) was presented skin up, clearly indicating the skin was meant to be eaten, and it was buttery loveliness along with the flesh. We ordered a warm cheese plate to share and it was more than enough for us to share. Others in our party had rockfish, which also got rave reviews, and Beef Bourguignon, which got the least raves but I heard no complaints. The few cons that I could bother to mention are that it's very crowded and the arrangement and number of tables make for some tight quarters. The food more than makes up for this minor inconvenience, though. The waiter seemed extremely knowledgable about wine selections and took his time describing various wines (too long, in my opinion) to those in our group who were wine drinkers. All in all, a lovely meal and lovely experience.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Loved the attention to French details!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stopped here twice during a trip to visit family before Christmas. Very impressed. First time was for a late lunch of garlicky mussels (relish) and a French baguette. Baguette was so good we took one home to family. Had "date night" dinner there the next night after perusing the dinner menu. Had beef tartare, a huge portion and bargain at $7.50. Chicken liver mousse was a bit lacking in flavor. But we also split the Sunday special of Skate that was twice the portion u would've expected for $20. We will definitely be back. Also incredibly attentive bartender who asked all kinds of appreciated questions when we ordered our Manhattans

Whitetop, Virginia
“Oui, oui”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I'm not a fan of French, but this was a wonderful surprise. A great brasserie in Cary Town. We went early on Saturday (8:30) - thankfully. Excellent coffee and pastries. I also had the quiche Lorraine. It was very good. The only thing that's difficult is the "running of the tab." They get very busy and when you're ready to check out, you have to stand in line to check out. Great breakfast in a very French atmosphere.

Falls Church, Virginia
“Relaxing and Fun”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed a little calibration she finished her finals at Virginia Commonwealth University. We each had a croissant (chocolate and an Almond) to share. You ordered at the counter and the food was brought to you. Nicely decorated and spacious. Wait staff was very professional and kind. Diner menu was short but contained some very interesting dishes with Plats Du Jour each day of the week.

Nederland, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No duck in duck salad”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Overall the meal was good. We arrived at 5:10. Dinner does not start until 5:30 so we immediately ordered wine and shellfish from the raw bar. It took 20 minutes to get it. We later ordered the duck confit salad -- very disappointing. It barely contained any duck. The few tiny bits looked like you might scrape off the bone after carving the bird.