“True ambiance and fine food”
Review of Can Can Brasserie

Can Can Brasserie
Ranked #10 of 1,620 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Our dinner, which included monkfish and "moules et frites" was delicious. Our server was knowledgeable friendly and attentive, too!

There are newer reviews for Can Can Brasserie

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have visited Can Can on several occasions but were very disappointed on our most recent visit and will most likely not return. We went around 2 PM on a beautiful Saturday afternoon - they had opened the front window panels. The restaurant did not appear to be at capacity yet they made us wait at the bar. We were with our son and his three small children. Ordinarily we would not mind the wait as we had a party of six but the bartenders ignored us until we asked to order a drink. The woman who tended to us did not seem to have any knowledge of what beers they had that were on the menu and kept us waiting while she checked (multiple times). Once our table was ready, she had still not returned to let our son know if his initial order was available so we went ahead and proceeded to our table. It took FOREVER to get served. I ordered the steak sandwich - huge mistake. The steak was very tough and it appeared the sandwich had sat for some time before being served. The arugula (at least I think it was arugula - was just a green mayonnaise type mess) had soaked through the meat and bread and the bread was complete mush. I love the atmosphere at Can Can but doubt we will go there again. There are so many other better (and less expensive) restaurants in Richmond!

2  Thank empresskareen
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The bread is really exceptional---ANY warm bread is a hit, but even cold the next day, this is lovely. All the dishes I've tried there were excellent, and yes, the atmosphere is invigorating. The parking is a problem, not just for this fine restaurant, but for any business in this area, so I don't hold that against them. My main complaint is that when you go there during busy times---12:45 on a weekday for lunch, for example---it is usually so noisy that a group of four cannot even converse. It is centrally located, so it is a good choice for our group of gals that meets monthly, but we enjoy sampling the fare at a different establishment each time. If we were to choose just one and stick with it tho, I still think we'd find another just because it is so difficult to converse here.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

It is hard to know what appeals to Trip Advisor denizens when Krispy Kreme is #3. Can Can, on the other hand, would be highly rated anywhere. Creeps and quiches, wonderful sauces, bread to die for, and tasty deserts. Parking and a table can be tough on weekends, but worth the effort.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I dined last night at Cancan for the first time in years and very much enjoyed it. The atmosphere and service were probably the best elements. I greatly enjoyed being back in the exciting urban environment of Carytown. My pear and chestnut salad was excellent and the braised lamb entrée very good. I agree with the previous reviewer that the crepes could have been lighter, but I enjoyed them nonetheless as well as the terrific brown butter ice cream which accompanied it. Overall, a very good meal though the chef was disappointingly inflexible about substitutions. The staff were wonderful: attentive, charming and well-informed. I have eaten better French food (Rustique in York, various in New Orleans and the incomparable Restaurant Matisse in Victoria, BC), but can still recommend this restaurant for food, service and atmosphere.