“Delicious cousine of Central Europe.”
Review of Cafe Rustica

Cafe Rustica
Ranked #319 of 1,644 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: European, German, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Richmond seeking a nearby restaurant on Sunday night. Cafe Rustica had a 3-course Sunday dinner for $15. There was a choice of a cheese dish or beef stew. I had a bowl of beef stew with delicious spiced bread. The stew was thick and tasty. I then had a soup with mussels, shrimps, chorizo, and scallops in a tomato broth. It was wonderful. I was so full that I asked to take the dessert, a chocolate mouse with vanilla home. Since the mouse does not travel, I was given only the vanilla sauce to take home. I had a fine bottle of merlot also.

Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Stumbled on this cafe as were leaving the city. Food was superb and a great value. BBQ was 8 hour tender! Rustic skillet with two sunny side eggs, potatoes, sausage was piping hot and filling. All entrees were generous from viewing other patrons. Rustic atmosphere with excellent service. Good option that is not a touristy place.

Also had nice large bar area....would like to return for glad of wine and dinner...and desert.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We found Cafe Rustica by doing a last-minute online search for restaurants near Centerstage Richmond. What a lovely little find! The place was cozy, not crowded, and the menu and wine options were quite good. The prices are reasonable and the food was tasty; the service was fast and the staff nice. This was our first dinner experience in Richmond, and we feel we've found our go-to place. We'll definitely go back!

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I've eaten here many times, and others than the disappointment of being turned away, if I didn't have time to wait at the bar due to the very limited seating, I don't recall ever being disappointed. Prices are reasonable for creative fair, some of best of which are stews and potted surprising tasty combinations on an eclectic menu with that you can't really categorize. The oyster stew is a stand out when available as are several salad chices. There is an Italianesque orientation to seafood choices, but also a few German dishes. A skillet served dish is a favorite of mine that has eggs, potatoes and sausage.
If you go for lunch, go a little early or a little late versus at noon to improve seating odds. Do not go if you are in a party over four.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I do not get here often, but I have always enjoyed the occasions I have spent dining at Cafe Rustica, whether for brunch or dinner. The menu always has interesting, inviting choices. The restaurant is quite small and has a cozy, casual spirit, and the food is very good with a continental bent. The Sunday dinner selections are limited, with three courses offered for a reasonable price, but you will want to go another night of the week if you want a full selection from the regular menu. Sunday brunch offers a creative list of choices. Give this place a try; you may find that it becomes a favorite place for intimate dinners, or convivial meals with another couple. Because Cafe Rustica is small, it is not suitable for large groups. Also, the restrooms are located upstairs, so if accessibility is a concern, go elsewhere.