“Awesome ambience”
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,620 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Great little restaurant. Delicious food, nice choices of rind and beer on tap. Holly was a great waitress. She made great recommendations! The restaurant is small do reservations are highly suggested. Would definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Tarrant's Cafe

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I go here all the time. No one makes better crab soup the best the fried green tomatos are to die for great homemade pizza amazing fish great sandwichs such a large menu but everything on it is great no weak link. Favorite thing brunch just to good had the eggs florentine today too good eggs poached perfect lots of real hollandaise great potatos and a big serving of fresh fruit. the desserts amazing every this is great they have a take out service if you are near buy this is a must go to restaurant!!!! Thanks agin guy what a great staff keep up the good wory Katy and Jack !!!! we will be back alll of us my whole family and friends

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We went to Tarrants on recommendations, but we won't be back. Ambiance is great. Food is not. Spouse and I had soup and different fish entrees. She-crab soup was bland and while the squash soup was more interesting, it was lukewarm. His fish special was better prepared than mine but both were far from worth $26 or $28, and neither of us finished them. Lots of better options in Richmond for the money.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband, two other family members and I recently made a trip to this restaurant, after my husband saw it featured in a well known magazine. Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were both excited and impressed with the atmosphere.However, my husband began eating his Ceasar salad, when he noticed there were hard particles that he could not show. Very nervously, my husband stopped chewing and spit out what was in his mouth. He discovered that he had been chewing small particles of glass. We immediately alerted the waitress, who then alerted the on call manager. Both the waitress and the manager were very kind and sincerly apologetic. The manager assured us that this incident was very bizarre and that our table would be taken care of.
Upon finishing our meal, the owner unexpectedly came over and apologized very quickly and requested to see the glass particles that my husband had spit into a napkin. My husband showed him the fragments and the manager then demanded that he give the particles back to him, so that he could have them "analyzed". My husand advised him that he wanted to keep the particles, just in case he had health problems that arised from eating the glass. The owner seemed shocked and very irritated. The owner then proceeded to say to my husand "We will take care of your meal, but the rest of you will have to pay!". I tried explaining to the owner that the manager had advised that the whole table would be taken care of, but he refused to listen.
Very frustrated at this point, the remaining three of us quickly handed over payment and after receiving our receipts, we promptly left. The owner decides to follow us outside and while we are walking, he says "I know you didn't really think you were going to get your meals for free?", as if we planted the glass in my husband's salad. Again, my husband and I began to explain that the manager had already promised to take care of the whole table and that we only came out to have a good time, not to get a free meal. The owner was very rude and kept suggesting that we were there to get free food. Out of anger and embarrasment, I threw my leftover food to the foot of the owner and advised him that eventhough I spent my hard earned money on subpar food and disguisting service, that he could keep the food. I must say that the turn of events had me so upset that I wanted to cry. I was so embarassed and have been to lower class restaurants and have been treated with way more respect and dignity. I will never visit this place again. The owner is very rude, arrogant and questionably racist.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We made dinner reservations for a Saturday night, and were very glad that we did. The place was packed, and I do not even want to know how long the wait would have been.

Service was very fast, despite the crowds. They have an enormous selection of food and beer (the current beers on tap were listed on the specials menu, rather than the back of the menu with the standard offerings, which we did not notice until later).

Our meals were brought out quickly, and did not disappoint. Also, even though they could have certainly used our table, we never felt rushed near the end of our meal.

Overall, I highly recommend stopping by.

1  Thank MadMaxEsq