“I'm 74 years old and....”

Malabar Indian Cuisine
Ranked #310 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have been addicted to Indian food since about 1961, and have eaten in dozens, maybe hundreds of Indian restaurants. I have been to Indian restaurants in the UK, Canada, and various cities in the US. I have never actually "dined" at Malabar, but I have had quite a few takeouts, and in my not very humble opinion their food is right up there with the best I have ever had...... end of message.

1  Thank xkdude

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I had tried the Lunch Buffet and also the A' La' Carte menu for Dinner. While I would rate the food as pretty average, you definitely would get a feel of having an indian cuisine with their variety of options. Ambience is great and kid friendly too. Definitely worth a try if you havent been to any other Indian restaurants around Richmond. Very much accessible in the short pump area and not very croweded mostly. So, you are rest assured to have a bite without any wait..

Negatives are it is kind of little over pricey for what you get.

Recommended for a visit to have a hang of Indian cuisine..

Have fun :)

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

We had samosa chaat, masala dhosa, baby eggplant and yellow daal. All dishes were delicious and served hot. We aske for spicy, and they did not over do it. Service was prompt and the restaurant was clean. The decor is ok, but food was great. We found it through Internet search en route to Charlottesville. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have been going to Malabar for years now, and I have to that the food is consistently great. The weekday buffet is so ridiculously cheap for the quality of food. Plus you get fresh dosa and roti. The waitstaff was fairly knowledgeable, but there are some inconsistencies in what each waiter says... I think that perhaps they are not consistently trained to understand the food. The owners are very friendly and like to meet patrons. The food has been consistently priced on their menu for the last 5 years, which is great. Everyone was so helpful, especially when I wasn't sure about a particular dish. I even witnessed the waitress telling patrons about each dish on the buffet. Great food, great atmosphere. One of the best Indian restaurants in Richmond.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have come here countless times and the food is not bad. It is never crowded and good. Even though it is nice, I prefer Anokha down the road WAY more. Not saying that this restaurant is bad or anything though.

2  Thank Sonny F