“Western Riding, Spa and Relaxing!”

Castellare di Tonda Resort & Spa
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Western Riding, Spa and Relaxing!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have just returned from a 6 night stay. Prior to arriving I was able to liaise in detail with Simona on reception who patiently facilitated everything. I was travelling alone so she arranged a return trip to Pisa Airport; all my riding was organised and I had my spa treatments booked before I left the UK! I rode every day for 2 hours with Jessica, the countryside was incredible and the relaxed manner in which Jessica explored what I wanted to get out of my riding trip was a real bonus. She showed real commitment and interest in my achievements and her teaching style meant after so many years of NOT RIDING I was thoroughly enjoying myself and Cantering!!! I was offered options of tuition in an arena alongside riding out. It was great. Because of the Spa I was able to relax and be pampered in the afternoon prior to lying about the pool. Finally the food was as you would expect. Delicious. A really great place to visit!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was looking forward to staying here and it was ok, but there was little atmosphere. The spa was great and I had a treatment which was amazing. The apartment was very nice, two bedrooms. The receptionist that checked us in was not very enthusiastic and on two other occasions either ignored us or you felt she was not that happy. The other lady Maria was very smiley and nice though but we had little to do with her. There was a lovely bottle of wine for us when we arrived and many towels. The apartment had everything you needed for self-catering. The pool area was very nice. The Wi-Fi was not really explained when we arrived and getting a code from the receptionist was a mission. The laundry area was also not very well explained, so it is not a service but self-service. We found the laundry area but had to drive back to the reception to buy a coin token and there is no dryer. But it was useful as we had been travelling for ten days so needed to wash our clothes as we had over a week left of our holiday. It all looked lovely but there was something missing. I probably would not stay there again to be honest.

Room Tip: We were in San Carlo, was nice location and not far from the reception
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SantiAlma
Leicestershire, UK
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Traveled as a couple to compare Western riding in Tuscany to horse ranches in USA. The riding did not disappoint at all. All the horses were fabulous, well cared for and well trained. The equestrian areas were immaculate and the rides through the lovely countryside were just as we had hoped - through vineyards, olive groves, country tracks and forests. A great variety of trails with plenty of fast sections. Jess and Mario were always attentive, helpful and cheerful and we enjoyed just about every minute. Perhaps a picnic table for the all day ride would have helped for eating what is a fabulous picnic spread without sharing it with the wildlife. But if you love riding through fantastic varied countryside this is a fabulous place to be. Take plenty of water with you if it is hot - you quickly dehydrate when the temperatures rise!
We were booked half board as part of the riding package. I would love to say this was also great but we were a little disappointed with the accommodation -perhaps because the 'Resort and Spa' description suggests a certain luxury standard whereas this was a typical Tuscan quaint farmhouse. The apartment (Fornace) was clean, basic, but easy to walk to the restaurant or stables. It would have benefited from a few small things (light for shaving in the bathroom and extra socket in bedroom so that you didn't need to chose bedside light or air conditioning) but fine for the type of converted building it was.
The restaurant staff were lovely and as helpful as they could be. Some meals were great, others not as good. Biggest problem was due to my dietary problems (coeliac.) Although they were to be applauded for their endless supply of gluten-free rolls, cakes, desserts and changes to the standard menu just for me, on two occasions despite checking that the meal I was given was correct, it turned out not to be the case. Not too funny when you need to ride every day. Next time I would probably stick to salads or cater for myself.
I say next time, because now we know what to expect we will most likely return. As a whole package this is a lovely place, easy to get to (although better signposts would help the last few miles) and in a good location for the main Tuscan cities. And the riding is just great. Just a shame that the little things let it down.

Room Tip: Fornace nearest to reception/restaurant area. Ground floor better for extending living space outside...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

From the moment we were picked up at the airport, nothing was too much trouble for Jess and the team. We were out riding within hours and I have never experienced such terrain, such fantastic views nor such willing and foot sure horses as at Castellare di Tonda. Around every corner and over every hilltop it was "...Wow!" The lesson with Franco was well worth it, challenging to school a horse Western style after decades of contact down the rein for English dressage but I had my horse pirouetting by the end of it! The food each night was great, the wine from the estate excellent and the picnic lunches with chilled wine on Tuscan hillsides perfection. We spent our day out of the saddle in Sienna, a stunning city and finishing off with two nights in Pisa, I can honestly say this was the best holiday EVER.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

What an experience so beautiful our apartment was so so nice even though the low lighting made it difficult to read. Our particular apartment was the right size in all means and was designed with the bathroom between the rooms as a good sound buffer for privacy. the food was great and our servers especially Fabio were just delightful.
Our trip was just the greatest thanks to Jess and Matteo our riding guides. My horse Muskie I call him took care of me in every way since even though a rider i was not an experienced trail rider and with Tuscany s steep terrain i never felt unsafe with him. We had some great canters too across the gorgeous countryside. Jess and Matteo treated us with the best lunches scenery and fun. They went beyond the call of duty on a couple of rainy days and took us to Piza and some surrounding small towns that we would never have known about otherwise Thank you so much for making a hard worked on dream to come to Tuscany the best ever

Room Tip: ask for a room with good reading light otherwise perfect
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Ctonda, Public Relations Manager at Castellare di Tonda Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you sincerely for your review of Castellare di Tonda, and specifically our horse riding holidays. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the horses and riding enjoyable and exciting. We have worked very hard to provide our clients with safe, sure footed and friendly horses to enable the best possible experience out on the trail. We are also pleased to hear that our staff left a lasting positive impression along with the memories made with our horses, and we hope to see you again soon and share more of the beautiful Tuscan countryside with you.
Thanks again for sharing!
Kindest Regards
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Six horsey ladies (we have horses, we don't resemble horses) took a week's riding vacation here. Would not change a thing, except maybe a slightly larger bathroom - but what do you expect from a century-old renovated building? The countryside is incredibly beautiful, and to see it from horseback is a unique experience. Our guides, Jess and Matteo, took great care of us. Although the resort is in a remote area, it's not far to Pisa, Florence, and assorted medieval and renaissance villages and towns in the area. The food? Let's just say I'll be wearing elastic waistbands for a while. I don't mix well with red wine, so I drank their own white wine all week and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear valued guest,
Thank you wholeheartedly for sharing your experiences at Castellare di Tonda.
We are pleased that our countryside left a good impression on you, and we are also strong believers that travelling through the area on horseback is one of the best ways to experience it. Our kitchen staff pride themselves on creating typical Tuscan dishes that are simple and delicious, using the best regional organic produce. We also appreciate your comments on our white wine, produced and bottled right here on the estate.
We hope to have the chance to share Castellare di Tonda's wonderful scenery with you again, and thank you again for sharing your impressions online.
Warmest regards
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Awesome and beautiful property. Friendly and helpful staff and comfortable rooms.A little bit far away from everything but that was exactly the purpose of the trip: peace and contact with the nature. I recommend it

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest.
Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay at Castellare di Tonda.
We agree, that the location of Castellare di Tonda is without a doubt its strongest point. The panoramic views throughout the estate are some of the best in Tuscany. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the peace and quiet of the farm and found our staff friendly and accommodating.
Hopefully we have the chance to have you with us again in the future, and we thank you again sincerely for sharing your impression of Castellare di Tonda online.
Kindest regards
Castellare di Tonda PR team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montaione
Hotel La Tabaccaia
Hotel La Tabaccaia
#4 of 11 in Montaione
UNA Palazzo Mannaioni
UNA Palazzo Mannaioni
#3 of 11 in Montaione
Hotel Il Castelfalfi - TUI BLUE SELECTION
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Villasanpaolo
Villasanpaolo
#4 of 29 in San Gimignano
Relais Guado al Sole
Relais Guado al Sole
#1 of 4 in Pomarance

Been to Castellare di Tonda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!