“Terrible ! The worst Indian Restaurant we have ever been to !”
Review of Diwan's - CLOSED

Diwan's
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 23 August 2012

What a terrible experience and restaurant ! It starts with the most pretentious menus which is all about 'not being the usual indian' ..i.e not serving poppadums atc and real food . Then it gives you a menu of the most basic massala / vindaloo / korma ?????? like the only 6 curries you could make at home ? its all about the owner/chef ...who seems to be some wannabe goron ramsey. NO music ....NO atmosphere .....Half of the restauarnt in darkness ....rubbish bags next to the bar ....The place is like a morgue !!!!! THE WORST ATMOSPHERE ever experienced when dining . The host shows no interest in you . The staff (european) barely understand you . 20 minutes waiting for a starter thats cooked behind some manky old curtain. THIS IS A LESSON IN HOW NOT TO RUN A RESTAURANT. DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE . What a disaster of a business .

1  Thank MrSmyth1974

Reviewed 21 July 2012

we were in Malta for a week....try diwan's Restaurant..its was a great time..staff was very helpfull and food was fantastic ..kindly must visit and enjoy

3  Thank raffaqat k
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Went to Diwans in July 2012 and what a massive dissapointment it was. We went in 2011 and the food was tasty so i dont know whats gone wrong! We asked for poppadums but the staff didnt seem to know if they did them! i can explain why i think as when they did arrive they were the packet ones you get from tescos were you put them in the oil yourself! They were swimming in oil with puddles of the stuff and they came with no chutneys, onions etc! Then the onion bhaji arrived which was literally deep fried onions with no flavour or slight curry/spice taste they were disgusting honestly the worst thing i have ever experienced in a restaurant. The curry we had was very plain with little spice and even though it was supposed to be a balti which are normally very tasty! On a positive note the chicken and lamb were both very tender. From reading the reviews i can only assume that some people must have had some terrible curries in the uk if they think here was excellent! Upon paying the bill the waiter gave us a voucher for 50% off on our next visit! We declined the voucher which i think says it all!

1  Thank Mitchaldo
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The waiter was polite. As I have dabbled as a chef myself and as Mr Diwan is a 'professional chef I couldn't believe i got a curry served with tomato soup from a can in it! One other curry i tasted was ok although it was oily (suppose currys in UK are oily to) it also tasted suspiciously like a frozen curry you can get from a supermarket. The plates that came out had 1 or 2 staines on. This may seem i'm hating but I promise you i'm not, I wish all the best to owner and staff. I tried a indian all you can eat buffet also in Malta last year and I was impressed. Oh and the chicken in the curry was good.

4  Thank MrBaley
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Visited this restaurant in late October 2011 on a weeks holiday in Qawra.I love indian food and found this restaurant very clean and well presented. By the decor of this one it looked something special.Looks of course not everything as we cameto try the food not admire the decor. Due to time factor we ordered a take a way and our order was taken by extremely polite member of staff.I ordered chicken vindaloo and my wife had chicken tikka main course.Portions were very good and and looked very tasty but the down side for me was the vindaloo was same strength as a packet of vesta curry.Would go again and ask the cheff to make it stronger.

John and Sue Torquay