“Lovely”

Gandhi Tandoori
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gandhi Tandoori is one of the very best Indian restaurants on Malta with over 20 years of experience serving authentic Indian food to the very best of our ability. We enjoy a loyal following of locals as well as a steady stream of visitors and holidaymakers who enjoy the wide range of Indian dishes made with locally sourced ingredients and imported spices. Our top quality chefs originate from the Punjab, and their skills and flavour profiles are second to none. You can choose from our extensive a la carte menu, or come and enjoy our very reasonably priced Buffet on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Sunday lunch too) where we feature 16 authentic starters and entrees for just one low price.
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We had great service. Staff were extremely helpful and attentive. Food was very tasty. Good portions and value for money would recommend and would definitely go again.

1  Thank DeborayMcspud

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Well ... What can I say ! Our local in London has the same name and for nostalgic reasons, we decided to give it a go. Upon arrival we were greeted promptly and shown our table. We sat down and our menus were offered swiftly. Drinks order taken. We chose a mix of spicy and plain poppadoms, onion bhaji and chicken tikka to start followed by tandoori king prawns, main chicken tikka, chicken jalfrezi, all with boiled rice, a madras sauce, sag bhaji and a peshwari naan bread.

We did not wait too log and the waiter arrives with our starters, the poppadoms were nice, I tasted my sons bhajis and apart from them being a little greasy they tasted okay. The let down was the tikka, it did not taste like tikka, possibly maybe no Tandor oven or they did not marinate - it wasn't horrible but it wasn't Indian.

Next came the main course, yet again the tasteless Tikka, the tandoori king prawns did not taste the same as our local Gandhi and they were smaller and little over cooked. My husband had Madras sauce which was strong in a flavour but not of the traditional Indian sense it was highly over spiced with curry powder making it taste rather strange, Then came the eagerly anticipated Chicken Jalfrezi ...... which was accompanied by a vegetable curry - which had no taste apart from the huge amount off marrow fat peas that were inside it - one spoonful was enough for me. Revolting. Back to the Jalfrezi ......it's supposed to be hot it was in heat but there was not a chilli in sight! In fact the chicken was swimming in a watery yellow sauce that tasted slightly sweet and sour but not as a traditional jalfrezi should taste of and the chicken yet again not marinated so very tasteless. I did not enjoy this at all it was totally tasteless. The sag bhaji was just like creamed spinach and was not as it should be but was not Inedible. The rice was fluffy which my husband found too sticky but I thought it was ok. the naan bread was a little greasy but not the worst We have ever had.

All in all I would not recommend if you like a good hot tasty Indian as you will not get it here. However, what you will get is good service and lovely staff but the food lets them down.

I cannot understand the previous reviews that states it's the best Indian as it falls very short from this title.

4  Thank saloustar
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a lovely meal in here it was first class if you like indian food, would recommend to anyone wanting to try it, will be going back there again next time back in Malta, the staff were very helpfull and pleasant............and thanks for the drink for the heartburn :-)

From the Jambo's :-)

1  Thank stefybhoy
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Best indian restaurant in malta. Andrew the manager is very warm and welcoming and takes good care of you. 5 star service. Sanitary was impeccable ( spotless bathrooms ) . You can definitely tell that it's under new management - keep it up!

1  Thank nadpis
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this restaurant. The staff was very friendly and the food was delicious. I ordered lamb madras: the meat was tender and the sauce was spicy. This is definitelt one of the best Indian restaurants we ever visited! Worth a visit!

2  Thank AnneM190479