“Best hotel in the area.”

Dolmen Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London
“Best hotel in the area.”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We enjoyed our week here despite the unusually bad weather last week (Nov 26th 2013).
It's a large hotel with proffessional staff and all the facilities,
Great views from the restaurant and the cafe
The indoor pool by the spa is very small, but outdoor pools and sunbathing areas (by the hotel AND by the sea) would be great in the summer season with many outdoor bars .
we were B+B and there was plenty of choice (but the Orange juice wasn't nice).
The local bus station is 200 yds behind the hotel and the busses go everywhere for 2.60 per day ticket and are frequent.
Lots of restaurants and bars and ice cream places nearby!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear TimAtBeeb2013,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Dolmen Resort and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Malta!

With our warm regards
Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Denny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at the this hotel for 1 week. Firstly it is not the easiest hotel to find as the main entrance is round a sort of back street. Once we found it after asking several people the staff were friendly and our surprising apartments which were very clean and spacious bothe with balconies and sea views, were a welcome site. We ate in the cafe the first night and the food and service was very good. Unfortunately there was a snooker/pool competition going on and the hotel was very very busy. Breakfast was buffet style and was plentiful and full of variety, but there was never enough cutlery. would i go back -- yes.

Room Tip: go for the apartments.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Alpal2013,

On behalf of the Dolmen team, I would like to primarily thank you for making the time to kindly post a great review on Trip Advisor.

Rest assured that as a team we certainly engage in doing our utmost to make each and every guests' stay comfortable and pleasant, irrespective of their purpose of travelling.

So we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service of the hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at the Dolem Hotel from Friday 29th November – Sunday 1st December. Upon arrival I was advised that my room wasn’t ready, which was fine, however when I enquired about where I could get some lunch I was directed quite rudely to the restaurant or café. The restaurant was easy to locate however the café was not so much and the lack of information from the reception staff was partially to blame!

Once I returned to the reception I was given my room card and told where the lift was – there was no further service provided and I felt the overall level of customer service was awful! The room I was given was extremely dated to the extent that on their website Dolmen state that each room has an LCD Plasma TV - I had an old style television (which did the job it was intended for ) but no control - some room are mis-sold!

Luckily I was in Malta working so did not partake use any of the facilities on the Friday evening.

I awoke on Saturday morning and found that the effects of the rain storm on the Friday evening had slightly leaked onto my window sill – the window had not been touched by myself. Once again I was out working all day on Saturday and returned late afternoon and saw that the maid had placed a towel on the sill. I chose to eat dinner at the hotel in café Delos and this was satisfactory for my needs.

To my shock I awoke on Sunday morning to find my floor sodden with water from the rain storm that had continued all day/night on Saturday! I was checking out at 10.30 so decided just to get up and get ready to leave! Whilst checking out I informed reception of this major problem to which I received a response of “oh” and then demanded to pay my bill of 101.29 – my invoice was printed by STOKES at 09.42.

Overall I found the level of customer service awful at the Dolmen (particularly from the reception staff), the room was extremely dated and I do not expect to be greeted in the morning by a large amount of water that has leaked through the window!

I was told about the quality of this hotel prior to my visit and it came highly recommended however I was less than impressed and will never be returning to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Charlotte B
Dear Charlotte B,

We reviewed your comments following your recent stay with us.

Rest assured that as a management team we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

We do thank you for the comments, which will definitely help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please do not hesitate to send an email and we will be delighted to address it with you directly.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

It depends what you are looking for I suppose. For me this hotel was a mistake. It is a hotel that caters for the masses and in many cases " the great unwashed". Reception staff were courteous and polite but with cool and detached tolerance ( and who can blame them as some of the guest were indeed a challenge). The food, like everywhere in Malta was excellent quality. The Spa was very professional and we had a great massage. The disappointment there was that we couldn't use the little spa pool because it was full of locals swimming and leaping about, so it wasn't entirely the relaxing stress free experience that we paid for. The beds, pillows and linen were tolerable but very tired and worn. My husbands mattress smelt of dried pee (Room 602). The sadness for me was that when I got home I found my gold with blue agate ring was missing. It was in the room in a small box inside my bag under some clothing In the back of the wardrobe ( I couldn't get the safe to work). I should have locked it in my case so I accept some responsibility, even though your property should be safe in your room. I know that it was taken although I can't prove it. However, it's only a piece of jewellery so I hope the person involved enjoys wearing it or gets quite a bit of cash for selling it. It was a gift to me from my husbands family so I will miss it. Be warned to keep your valuables locked up. I could relate a lot more about this hotel but really I can't be bothered. An experience never to be repeated.

Room Tip: To the management - Replace the mattress on the bed near the window in room 602.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Marisa T,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please do not hesitate to send an email so we may address it with you directly.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was my second holiday at this Very nice hotel, very clean and helpful staff throughout. The animation team were really great and ran excellent keep fit classes each morning. The best hotel I've seen in Malta.

The only downside was the building work at the hotel opposite but the Dolmen can not help that and it is one of those things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy P
Dear Wendy P,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to place such a fantastic review about the Dolmen Resort Hotel.

Our aim is to make your stay with us as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, so we are very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the service of our staff and all of the facilities we have to offer each and every guest.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Resort and on behalf of the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With warm wishes,
Capelle aan den IJssel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Our vacation here was in early September. After a flight that departed at 5 AM in the morning, we arrived at 11 AM. Unfortunately we could not check in until 2 PM, which was a bit of a shame but there are restaurants 5 minutes away. We picked one and had our first Maltese meal, and recharged a little. The staff was polite, courteous, and more than helpful. They answered all of our questions and gave us all sorts of recommendations.
We had an all-inclusive stay. The food (buffet) was just delicious. Well heated and a broad variety of choices. Lots of cakes to choose from for dessert as well! The restaurants were very good. I particularly loved Batubulan, which is a grill restaurant with a lounge. The lounge is open all day and we often went there for one of their delicious cocktails. The view from the lounge is gorgeous and the seats are comfortable.
The room was air-conditioned, clean, and everything worked well. More importantly, the cleaners paid the utmost respect for our privacy while cleaning.
The swimming pools were well kept and clean.
There is a bus station nearby with buses going practically everywhere in Malta, and when we were there there was a tour operator in the lobby who sold tickets to hop on-hop off buses. Among others those buses got us to Valetta, Mdina (must see), and the Blue Grotto.
Honestly I can not say anything other than that this is a very recommendable hotel, well worth its price.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with sea view, take it. The back is not as pretty.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sabrina V,

Thank you so much for the favorable comments that you have kindly placed following your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

We certainly do our utmost to provide good service and quality facilities so your satisfaction is ours too.

We hope to welcome you to Malta once again and thank you once again for your high recommendations.

Vilseck, Germany
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Arriving at the Dolmen hotel on a Tuesday as part of a pre-packaged tour, we discovered that we don't have free wifi because you have to book with the hotel in order to get that. The price 1 euro an hour for wifi. There is not even free wifi in the lobby. OK..on the the check in, the staff are not nice, kind or courteous, they are condescneding to say the least. The rooms, NOT 4*, not even close, the beds are out-dated and look old, there is no color whatsoever in the room. No alarm clocks and the TV didn't have a remote that worked. There was minimal toiletries in the bathroom so thank goodness we brought our own. At first our balcony door was broken, that they did fix promptly. The hotel did and does not look like the website at all. The room was also not very clean. A few times we saw supervisors talking to the cleaners but it seems to go unheeded. On to the dining room, I feel that based on the volume of people that come into the dining room, the staff did a good job of serving hot food. I am an extrememly picky eater so it was difficult for me. However, the people I was traveling with felt that the food was pretty good. It was a buffet for all meals that was included in the price of the tour we took. I have to say that one good note was that on Thanksgiving, the staff deocorated the room in red and blue and wore Amercian flags on their aprons. This was an extra special touch and they also served turkey and typical American Thanksgiving foods. Again, the service was less than desirable, the staff seem to be surly and not real helpful. The one other thing about this hotel, it is quite a distance from Valletta so if you want to stay in the city, don't pick this hotel, it is at lest 45 minutes to the city by bus. There is also a LOT of construction going on in the area and that is also a downfall to the hotel. Just know that overall this is not a 4 star hotel. It is a 3 at best.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Jeri B,

Firstly, allow me to thank you for making the time to share with all your overall experience on the Maltese Islands and indeed at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that all your comments have been well noted and have been passed on to the respective managers for their immediate attention.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we do look forward to have you stay with us once again,

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#4 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!