Sometimes I wonder what palaces people live in that they find so much to criticise about the Dolmen Resort. We stayed for two weeks from 20th February and had a great time. We each had a huge room on the fifth floor and a sea view which was a constant delight day and night, whatever the weather. Generally it was fine and warm. The rooms were well appointed, clean and comfortable including TV, hair dryer, lashings of hot water etc. if you want to make drinks buy or take a mug upstairs and we used a small electrical element that heats a cup of water.
Breakfast is the best meal with a large choice of bread, cereals, fresh and tinned fruit, scrambled or fried eggs, potatoes, beans, sausages (more like frankfurters than English sausages) and bacon most days. Choices of coffee, tea and juice from a machine, not bad, cold meats and cheese, and croissants etc.
We had dinner included in our package and the difficulty in catering for huge numbers is that not all foods react well to buffet preparation. But there is a choice of salads, two soup options and always some decent fish or meat choice, plus free wine and a variety of soft drinks. I particularly liked the freshly carved pork, sliced roast beef and poultry, preferably in a sauce so it didn't dry out. Desserts are mainly a selection of cream cakes that I was not keen on, but the plainer iced cakes were lovely and light and most days there was a choice of fruit, fresh and tinned and ice cream. You serve yourself and take as little or as much as you like and the staff are charming; nobody hurries you if you want to sit and talk after the serving times.
I went to a little hairdresser shop nearby and had a more than adequate wash and set for only €10. Using the buses is easy and we hopped on and off using a €1.50 day pass to Valetta, Mdina, Seliema and the Gozo ferry. But you are advised to get on at the termini if possible as they get very crowded.
My only adverse comment is that people expect wifi to be included nowadays and although I made a €10 ticket last about a week I was always conscious of the money running out. However for the price of a coffee you have excellent fast free wifi at McDonalds just along the promenade (or in most towns), also at the Aquarium restaurants, so one can keep in touch.
In short, we had a lovely break from the English weather in a friendly island and in a comfortable hotel. The staff were all charming and helpful and I would come here again like a shot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful located at the waters edge, the 4 star hotel boasts 375 guest rooms and 38 highly finished superior rooms and suites with panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea and St. Paul's Islands. All bedrooms and suites are fully air-conditioned, centrally, heated and have their own private bathroom, safe deposit box, satellite TV, direct dial telephone, radio, mini-bar and hair dryers. The majority of the rooms have a balcony or terrace.The hotel's general facilities include a Conferece Centre, Casino, an A La Carte Restaurant, Buffet Restaurant, Piano Lobby Bar, Cafeteria, Swim-Up Bar, Night Club and Caribbean Style Beach Club offering a variety of water-sports, a Diving Centre, Bars and Restaurant. Four outdoor swimming pools are located within the hotel together with one dedicated for children. The newly designed Spa incorporates state of the art Therapy rooms with the latest equipment as well as a Fitness Room, Indoor Pool with hydro massage and sauna. Animation Activities are provided on a daily basis together with a kids club during the summer months. A regular entertainment is held during the evenings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , Odigeo, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dolmen Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dolmen Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Dolmen Hotel St Pauls Bay
- Dolmen Hotel Malta
- Dolmen Resort Hotel Malta