“Dolmen resort (ex new dolmen)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolmen Resort Hotel

Dolmen Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
wolverhampton
“Dolmen resort (ex new dolmen)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

A Very Average hotel.
On arrival we were given a room with a balcony so small that 2 people could not stand on it together. I kid you not (room 423).
after complaining to the front desk that i had payed extra for a superior sea view they then gave me room 550, Overlooking the car park, with no sea view!!
On my 3rd attempt and after lugging 2 suitcases up and down i was finally given a room with a decent balcony & sea view. The only problem was the musty smell of the place. Please do not think I,m just another whinger i have never compained before and honestly believe you get what you pay for. Talking to guests around the dirty pool we found that many had changed rooms due to the smell and a few couples had even moved hotels.
The food was not up to 4* european standard and we met several people who had payed half board and were eating out like us..
On checkout they tried to charge me for signed bar tabs even though they were clearly signed by a different name!!!! Please
think twice. P.S. Buggiba is like a mix between a building site and a bomb site at the moment, with very high prices since the restrictions on price increases was lifted on july 1st after joining the euro

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wolvesbigDave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

I have just got back from my holiday and I am already missing the place...This was a perfect holiday

Originally booked a 1 week stay with my girlfriend at the San Antonio Hotel & Spa which is just behind the Dolman but was told the day before we were due to travel that the hotel was over booked so we were re-booked in the Dolman. Having seen both the Hotels I am really please were moved to the Dolman as it was a far superior hotel.

The Hotel is described as a 4 star hotel and I would agree with previous reviews the rooms were not a 4* quality but they were clean and had everything we wanted in them TV fridge etc... but it’s worth booking a sea view. The view we had was amazing but you want a room that is at least on the 3rd floor otherwise you won’t see much, the only down side is you do get to listen to the hotel entertainment...every evening (the hotel entertainment appeared to be popular, but just not our thing) However overall the hotel facilities are 4*... The hotel also had a good mix of young and old and a good mix of nationalities

The hotel has 2 great outside pools and 1 inside (which I didn’t use as the outside pools were so nice) The hotel also has a dive school by the private beach (this is not so much a beach but a concrete area by the sea, but has plenty of sun loungers and is quite pleasant) which I used the instructors were really nice and I had a great first time diving experience and I would totally recommend it to anyone esp. for 35 Euro's. I would also recommend the speed boat trip to the Blue Lagoon which can be sorted out in the Water Sports hut on the private beach. For 18 Euro we went to the Blue Lagoon on the speed boat and were offered the choice of which side of the Lagoon to go to. We loved this trip so much we ended up going twice... I would also not recommend going on one of the Captain Morgan trips as these seemed very commercialised (packed with people) and very expensive.

Normally I don’t like to eat in the hotels I stay, as I find them very expensive and of poor quality but in the case of the Dolman we ate at the hotel 5 times out of 7 in the evening and the quality was very good and the price was very reasonable. Having eaten at a number of top restaurants all over the world I was very impressed with the food at both the la carte and the beach side restaurant. The breakfast on the other hand was ok but nothing special.

The final couple of things I was impressed with were the staff very pleasant and the location the hotel is only a few mins walk to the bus station. We used the bus's most days to get around the island going to Medina, Paradise Bay, Golden Bay and Valletta. You can go on organised tours but these are around 40 euro to Medina for example whilst you can go on the bus for just over 1 euro and spend as little or as long as you want. And for the Cat lovers amongst you, the hotel also has a small group of cats in the grounds which my girlfriend loved and fed every morning...

• Liked — Location and food
  • Disliked — having to come home
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James_OxChem
Nelson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

I stayed at the Dolmen in late May with my Mum, we went for my brother's wedding. Being typical English tourists we did find the lack of tea and coffee making facilities a little odd, but there's a 24-hour cafe in the complex to resolve that.

The breakfasts were plentiful and generally very good, and we had no complaints about any of the staff we met while we stayed there. One of the receptionists even gave us a street map of Qawra, which I felt most helpful. The location of the hotel is very handy, with the bus station being almost next door and the local shops being all of five minutes walk from the door.

We had a ground floor room, which was good and spacious, with a nice terrace overlooking the temple in the hotel grounds. One thing we did find was that the shower somehow wasn't quite right, I didn't bother maintainence and soon had it working properly. As a travel agent myself, I have to say that the Dolmen was generally what I'd expected, although I don't feel I'd rate it as 4* Superior. I'd describe the Dolmen as a 4* in the UK system.

Would I recommend this hotel to fellow travellers? Yes, I would, as it offers a nice base for a holiday, a good breakfast and generally comfortable surroundings.

• Liked — Spaciousness and Comfort, the good breakfasts.
  • Disliked — No Remote for the TV and no teamaking facilities in the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank MaccaNelson
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

Just returned from a week at this hotel. On arrival our reception was warm and welcoming. The room however was a big disappointment . *No sea view *No balcony *Blasting music

I was nearly close to tears and returned to the reception and demanded our room be changed. I was to report to the desk the next morning as all the rooms were allocated.

The room was changed as promised 3.00pm the next day. We wasted time wondering what the next move would be like. It turned out to be fine. So if your not happy complain!

We stayed half board and on the whole the food was very disappointing. Like you we read all the previous comments on the restarant and thought it can't be that bad but it turned out be true.

This really is only a 3* not a 4* as advertised.

Plus points:_ Rooms are cleaned daily to a good standard.
Pool areas were very good with plenty of loungers. Safety aspects good too with plenty of warning signs etc

Spa - Highly recommeded. My husband treated me to a head massage and reflexology treatment which was just heaven.

Resort itself plenty of shops and bars and restaurantsw to choose from.

LOOK OUT FOR THE TIME SHARE SHARKS! Don't be fooled that you've won a bottle of wine or free holiday.

Enjoy the sunshine and the matleste people who are lovely.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank WheelerBirmingham
Sawbridgeworth, Herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

My wife and I have just returned from 4 nights at the Dolmen and to say I was underwhelmed would be to put it mildly.

This hotel is clinging to its "4 star" badge by a thread. Yes, the amenities are all there, air-con, Satellite TV, pool, mini-bar, in-room safe, shaving points etc (even a dive centre). But all of the above are badly in need of renovation. The aircon was struggling to work in any of the 3 rooms we saw, as were the the mini-bars (warm drinks in 35 deg heat !). TVs had no remote control and showed 10 fuzzy channels, carpets were threadbare, and there was just generally a very run-down feel.

In an effort to keep this balanced, the Pool area and reception were well maintained and the entertainment at the pool (Aqua-gym, etc) seemed to keep people interested. It was also useful having Internet on site and while we didn't use the Spa, it did look to be of a high standard.

Anyway, on our first night, we arrived at 10pm to find our room directly above the pool and a Beatles cover band playing outside our window. We had only just arrived however, and despite the noise, they were a good band so we were not phased that they played until midnight. On our second night, however, music from a nearby nightclub was pounding through our window until after 3am, which forced us to change rooms. The staff were friendly about this though and offered us another room on a higher floor further from the action without a fuss, so fair enough.

The real let down for us was the Dive Centre, which I had tried to ring half a dozen times in the week prior to our trip in order to book diving for the morning after our arrival. Having had nobody answer the phone, we turned up early that morning and waited 90 minutes for someone to arrive> we were then told by a rather surly dive instructor that 24 hrs notice was needed to dive and that we would need to come back the following day. With only 3 days to dive ina 4 day trip, this was not what I wanted to hear.

Luckily we picked up the phone and rang around the numerous local dive centres and found one to take us out that day. Note: For any Scuba Divers reading this, try Maltaqua located about 5 minutes away in St Pauls Bay who were absolutely superb and totally saved our trip!

A quick note on location... The Dolmen is sat on one side of Bugibba (Blackpool in the Sun). It will suit some people no doubt - those interested in very late nights and bars particularly, but had I felt the advertising depicted the Dolmen as a resort set apart from the town, rather than straddling the main road through a tourist trap.

To summarise - having paid UK 4 star prices, I felt the Dolmen offered poor value for money, made worse given its location. A shame as with the right level of investment and perhaps better management and effort, it could be excellent. However, until then - there's more for your money available elsewhere.

• Liked — Lovely pool areas - perfect pool temperature
  • Disliked — Tatty Rooms - very poor amenities most of which didn't work
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jones1e
Black Country
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

As a middle aged couple, we have just returned from a week at The Dolmen. Prior to going I had read reviews on here and didn't really know what to expect as the reviews were very mixed. We don't usually choose a hotel which is so big but we were very pleased with it.

It is called a Resort Hotel I guess as it is a resort in itself and really does have something for everyone from children straight through to adults.

There is a wonderful cafe bar where you can eat in or out around the pool. There is an upmarket restaurant, a restaurant right besides the sea with the most stunning views, a spa, an indoor pool, numerous outdoor pools, an entertainments room (this was done outside when we went), a wine bar, a nightclub and a casino. I am sure that I have forgotten something, oh yes and an ancient temple in the grounds!!!!!

We did book one of the superior rooms on the 6th floor. It was amazing and we had one of those tempur mattresses which you really did not want to get out of. The size of the room was exceptional and the balcony was almost as big as the room.

We booked this room as we wanted to ensure that we were at the top of the hotel and there are only superior rooms at the top. I do have to agree that some of the rooms on the other floors looked tired in comparison. What we always find is that a four star hotel in Malta is not as smart as one in say, Spain or Portugal.

The room was cleaned daily to a high standard and we could have fresh towels when we liked. There was a small mini bar in the room which was not overpriced but we took out all the hotel stuff and used or own and put our milk in there (and wine!) as we had tea making facilities. The air conditioning was very good, we really needed it as it was 30+ most days. It was also left on for us by the cleaners so that our room was cool when we returned. In many hotels it is switched off when you are not there.

The hotel encourages recycling and there are containers on each floor for bottles and newspapers.

The only downsides we could find is that with late entertainment etc and breakfast going on until late we were needing to sleep. The cleaners would knock on your door to clean your room quite early. Even when we made sure that the "do not disturb" sign was on, they were still very noisy in the corridors. In addition the hotel was full and there were often queues for breakfast.

The resort was heaving and that made hiring a car difficult and parking often a nightmare. The hotel has its own car park but there is a charge. If going in the summer my advice is to book a car before you go.

Qawra is a few minutes walk from the next town which is buzzing at night with lots of bars and restaurants through we didn't find the food, on the whole, very exciting.

I would recommend the hotel and would pay the extra for the superior room as it is well worth it.
Hotel photos Hot

• Liked — The size of the room and the view
  • Disliked — Cleaners wanting to start too early!
  • Stayed August 2008
4 Thank BlackC0untryC0uple
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

Just back from a very hot week in Malta where we stayed at the Dolmen Hotel. Overall we enjoyed our stay, we had booked a junior suite as we travelled with 3 children and it was very comfortable, 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms and a beautiful sea-view. The rooms were cleaned daily and while the quilts on the beds had seen better days it was too hot to need them during our stay. My only worry with the suite was the balcony which had only a wire-style railing which didn't spol the view but was an invitation to climb for busy toddlers and as suites are on the 6th floor this isn't ideal.
The cleaning staff, staff in the restaurants and the bar and pool staff were very helpful and friendly, however I would agree with previous reviews that the reception staff are very unfriendly and will do only the bare minimum to help with requests, no matter how minor e.g. directions to the local post office.
There was an entertainment team on site and they produced an excellent fire show on the lastnight of our stay, a real surprise as we almost didn't go based on our previous experience of their "entertainment" A few nights earlier they had advertised that "everyone" should come along to their cabaret night so we brought along our 3 children looking forward to the show. Avoid it at all costs!!! It was full of cheap and totally inappropriate sketches, full of sexual innuendo and some "jokes" relating to people with disbilities which we found actually offensive. They also included some games more suitable to an 18-30 resort. I have no problem with a bit of fun but entertainment should not be marketed as being suitable for everyone when quite plainly it is aimed at over 18's. We along with quite a few other groups left early due to the content of the show and talking to fellow guests the following day the general view was disgust.
I must say again that the fire show put on by the same entertainers a few nights earlier was excellent which makes it extra disappointing that they had to stoop to such cheap acts at their cabaret show.
All in all we had a good holiday, the weather was very warm and humid so be prepared for that and while the hotel was very comfortable I think that a bit of extra effort from the reception staff and the entertainers would make it so much better.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms, nice pool and good restaurants
  • Disliked — The cabaret. Unfriendly reception staff. Balcony railings.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
#6 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,494 reviews

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!