“Average hotel in good location”

Gillieru Harbour Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Average hotel in good location”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed here for a week from 19th-26th august travelling solo. The hotel was in a good location; it was about a 10 min walk from the main area in St Paul's Bay where the restaurants, pubs and cafes are situated - ideal for me. I had a single room, overlooking the harbour which I requested. Because it was a single room, although it had a balcony, it was half the size of the other rooms; enough just for a chair, but this was adequate for my needs. On the minus side, it also had a generator(used by the restaurant), so if you are a light sleeper, it could be quite noisy, even with the door closed I could still hear it. Also my room was right by the steps leading to the pool, which again could be noisy by people constantly walking up and down to use the pool. The pool,did not have disabled access due to the steps. The pool seemed clean, although the sun loungers and the cushions used for the loungers had seen better days; some of which were mouldy. The room was basic, but clean, with towels being changed daily and sheets changed x2 weekly. The balcony light did not work and the fridge, although was on, was not cold enough for me to use it effectively, so I unplugged it and used the extra power point. The bathroom had a walk-in shower and was clean, although as usual, there is never enough shelf space for toiletries. The A/C was effective, and not too noisy. Breakfast is served on the 1st floor and was average; nothing special. Served between 7.45-10.00am. If you book any morning trips, ask at reception for them to open a few minutes earlier (7.30am) which they were happy to do, otherwise you will miss breakfast if a minibus picks you up at 7.45am.I didn't use the restaurant for meals, though I did use the adjacent Gillieru fish restaurant which caters for meat and fish eaters, as I'm veggie, I did struggle to find a veggie option, but the meal I had was lovely. There is free Wi-Fi in reception, but I didn't use it. There is a vending machine located in reception, for small bottles of water, soft drinks and chocs. As for the roof terrace on the 5th floor, don't bother. It's just a bare area, with a few chairs scattered around. If you wanted to go further afield ie Sliema, Buggiha or Valletta, there is a nearby bus stop. Number 12 bus. Please be careful when using the buses, as they are very busy, good value. Bus fares have been reduced since last year. 1.50 euro for a all day ticket or 6.50 euros for a weekly ticket. Buggiha bus station is 4 mins on the bus and it takes between 30-40 mins to get to Silemna. Be careful on the buses, as unfortunately I had my purse stolen when I was on the bus, so this marred my holiday somewhat. All in all, this was a perfectly adequate hotel for my needs.

Room Tip: Room 216 in a single room, overlooking the harbour, but also is right next door to steps to the pool...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Val C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We agree with Bryan's comments. This was our 4th time and Mary Rose and the views are two of the best assets the hotel has. However on this occasion the only downside was that the pool bar has been franchised out and the people running it seemed to be more interested in entertaining their friends in the 'kiddies pool' (with glasses of wine) than attending to 'paying' guests. This is a great pity and hope the situation will be addressed as we have always thoroughly enjoyed our times in the hotel. It is true that there have been several things that needed tweeking in the hotel over the years but this has never spoilt our holidays otherwise we would not have returned. They have started making improvements to the hotel and these are appreciated.

Room Tip: sea views are superb
2 Thank alison w
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is my fifth visit to the hotel and had another great holiday. The breakfast was better but agree the fruit juice had never seen fruit. Our room facing the church was clean and the new shower superb and we did have shelves. Marie Rose is a saint and really looks after you. I agree it's not Uk 4 star but I didn't pay the price of a uk 4 star. As for location superb

1 Thank Bryan M
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The holiday brochure made this sound our ideal location "Prestigious", "Traditional Characteristics" in other words old and decrepit, this was like a sketch from Faulty Towers!!!
I'm not a one to complain normally, and usually accept something's are not what they say they are, but felt compelled to write this review.
On the first night the toilet didn't work, the solution according to the handyman who came out to fix it was, lift the lid and tip it from side to side till the button popped back up?
That was the least of our problems, the air conditioning was none existent, when you had the fan on it was too noisy to sleep and with out to hot (don't get room 106)....
The lift kept breaking down on a regular bases one night with us in it, my partner was hysterical by the time they opened the doors and we could climb out!!!
Its such a shame as this hotel has one of the best locations and views in the bay? the staff are friendly and helpful, just lacking in resources.
Oh and if you like sausage and egg every morning for your breakfast you will love this hotel....
This is by no way a 4star hotel, be warned!!!

2 Thank daveroberts696

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I agree with most of the comment by other people. I was so disappointed by this hotel. I don't know where it got a 4 star rating I would not even rate it as a 2 star hotel. On the night of our arrival we were checked in by a grumpy old man he was rude and not very helpful so first impression was very bad. He gave us the key to our room explained nothing to us he muttered something about what time breakfast started and finished. Our room was on the fourth floor and as everyone else has said the sheets on the beds were grey and did not fit beds, the towels were old and there was a smell in the bathroom. The air conditioning was not great it went off during the night. Also the safe in the room was tiny and we were charged €15 for 5 nights.

The food in the restaurants was terrible so I was glad we were only B&B. We did eat one night in the Italian Restaurant in the hotel and I would not recommend anyone to eat there. The service was slow and no one could explain the menu to us when we asked a few question about some of the dishes. Overall the food was not great.

I will not return to this hotel and I would not recommend it to any of my friends.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Rhondawalsh
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Whilst I agree with most the other reviews on this hotel i.e. lumpy pillows, poor sheets etc, we found the new shower rooms to be very good although they need to have somewhere for you to put your shower gels and all the other stuff we take with us! No shelves anywhere in the bathroom. We were only B&B and found the food acceptable for the price we paid but don't understand why you could not get your own hot food when everything else was buffet style. The fruit juice was disgusting and we ended up buying cartons and taking them in to breakfast with us. Just glad we were not half board. I can understand Mary-Rose looking fed up as she seems to be bombarded with complaints of which she has no control. MANAGEMENT of this hotel is needed by the owners and this is obviously lacking or they are not interested in
the need of their guests. We did not see any management around the hotel all the 10 days we were there. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed our holiday and the hotel has a real charm and is in a lovely position it is such a shame that all the problems cannot be sorted out. It is in a nice quiet area and within walking distance to Bugibba and Qwara where there are plenty of bars, restaurants and shops. We found it very cheap to eat and drink in these areas much cheaper than Spain etc. Come on Management get your act together and make this hotel a success again especially when it comes to the food (re-employ chefs etc to give this hotels restaurant back its reputation of lovely food) as it would be such a shame for it continue as it is. However, we will be going again if only for the position of the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have two patio doors and balconies which makes the room very light.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HonestWestYorkshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Back again for more punishment (13th time) after the recent upgrade if you can call it that.

The Gillieru holds many special memories for me and my family and we have 'put up with' the various complaints on here about old looking bed sheets, no entertainment etc. This year though things have taken a nose dive.

We had hoped that the restaurant which was passed to a 3rd party would have improved. Sadly it has not. Lettuce soup followed by artichoke slices as a main put us off on our first day and we quickly changed to bed and breakfast.

Breakfast is now a strange one. It is an English breakfast of sorts with tomatoes, sausages and square eggs. The problem is that it is brought in from the other side of St Pauls Bay and is often luke warm or on one morning stone cold. The Maltese bread is no longer cut up for you. You have to cut it yourself.

Some will be delighted to know that the pool bar is up and running. Again though this appears to be sub contracted out as the same people run the low grade Italian restaurant in the same place once the evening kicks in. The pizzeria is no more sadly.

What of the upgrades? Well the tv's are an improvement. A sort of flat screen on the wall which has a number of foreign channels and a couple of English language movie channels. You still have to get the remote from reception.

The showers are a big problem. You no longer have baths but a walk in show which is at the same level as the floor with no door. This of course means that the floor gets flooded every time. A lack of foresight there.

The air con has been upgraded. Although better, they have a habit of turning off outside of the times which the hotel turn it off. 10 minutes on one minute then they stay on for 2 hours then turn off again.

The lifts are on their last legs. They broke down several times and have a total mind of their own. One day it was stuck on level 1 for 10 minutes and on one occasion both lifts were out of action at the same time. Apparently an upgrade is coming in October when the hotel is to be closed again for another 4 months.

The once delightful Mary Rose on reception had a decidedly grumpy attitude this year which is a shame. Although to be fair, she was working a 7 day week nearly 12 hours a day. Maybe we should forgive her?

The cleaning of the rooms was very good this year. Our cleaner was efficient generally with sheets changed promptly.

We heard that one person had the decorators in their room whilst they were in it. They were chipping away at the wall with a mess on the floor.

Another disturbing issue is the number of people allowed to casually walk in and use the pool facilities. One day there were 20 Italians 'hogging' the pool area, leaving guests with no where to go.

Overall the Gillieru is at its lowest ebb seen by my family and I. It is such a shame, it is in a fantastic location but has stood still with time. It's recent upgrade of the showers is shocking whilst the food issue is quite frankly unbelievable. How many hotels of any rating do you know that have it shipped in from 2 miles away?

Will I go back for a 14th time? I don't know. It really will be a case of whether my heart rules its head or not.

Time to sell up Gillieru and let someone else have a go at running what was one of the delights of Malta.

Room Tip: the seaview wins every time
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family