“joke of a hotel”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“joke of a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

i have just returned from a week stay at this hotel,it was the worst hotel i have ever stayed in i didnt get a cheap deal so thought i was paying for a good service. the rooms are disgusting and so outdated the service or lack of service from staff are so miserable. full of flies in room and around hotel pool. the meals are awful lack of choice cold and again staff ignorant. the cleaning staff are ok and friendly only good point of hotel. the staff told me they had upgraded my room god help me in the other room if mine was an upgraded version. the showe didnt work properly had a mini fridge that was warm air conditioning was noisy and set for a certain temp couldnt change it to any cooler and asked for pool view got street view of hotel facing and again was filfthy. wouldnt stay here again if paid me. we was a large party who stayed here and we all was very disappointed.

Room Tip: book different hotel
1 Thank amanda r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Kingston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I went and stayed at San Pawl in September of 2011. Got a great price booking through Euroresort.net. My "oceanview" room meant if I stood up and looked down towards the sea I could see some at the end of the street. I didn't expect any different.

I was solo, and the room was quite large in the new wing. I'd booked because of central air, which did not work the entire time I was there. Of course, when I arrived, it was a festa and long weekend, so are most weekends, which is a nice thing in a visit to Malta. Come the Tuesday, they were there working on it, but it didn't end of being fixed. I didn't really persue the matter, I expect I would have received a free dinner (or two) had I complained.

The location was great IMO. My balcony wrapped around the corner of the building, had views of the irish bar and chinese restaurant as well as homes/apartments across a bit of square, and the street the hotel is actually on around the corner. Irish Pub sounded like quite a bit of fun, but always quiet by midnight. Light on the balcony was out around 10, I often read until that time, enjoying a can or a whiskey. Fridge in room worked well.

Bed was hard for sure. I only had my room serviced twice, but that was my choice, as jetlag left me sleeping pretty late. Could always find the maid for some more towels though.

I thought the breakfast buffet was quite good. It was a few days before I got up early enough to hit it, cereal, eggs, fruit, yogurt, tomatoes, sausage or bacon, cold cuts, desserts..

Small but lovely pool. No problem to get a lounge or usually mty choice, a chair in the shade.

Short walk to the bus stop, easy walk to the sea.

Jesters right across the street had good food at a very reasonable price, but mostly fried w/ chips. They also operate a bottle shop and newstand. It was a quite time, owners often came to sit late in the evening. After a couple of visits and modest tips, they insisted on buying me a beer or two.

A very comfortable place to call home for 10 days in Malta, but I might not pay extra for air conditioning next time.

PS The chinese takeaway had amazing food very cheaply. I only ate there once, but had I eaten earlier in my stay, I think I would have gone more than once.

Bought a week-long bus pass for the local transit, well worth the 12 or so euros I spent, although I had to pay a premium to come home after a certain (midnight?) time at night.

At half the price of Buggiba, I had a nice room in a relatively quiet neighbourhood, with a choice of places to go at night close to home and save cab fare.

I didn't hear overwhelming positive feedback about the dinners though, I think you can do better outside the hotel, unless you get a very cheap package.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jasminebed
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We booked our holiday through Thomas Cook and cannot believe they recommend this hotel.

We went as a family of 12 over 5 different rooms and each room had its faults, from pipes sticking out of the walls (ankle catchers) to showers not working, leaving toilets, broken wardrobes (that eat up your clothes and then trap them) broken toilet handles (so you cut your hand every time you flushed) the list is endless. We complained to reception who told us maintenance would fix the problem within the next few days, which they never. We complained again and some of the problems were resolved (we just couldn't use the wardrobe or the toilet).
The beds are so uncomfy and the balcony was tiny with a view of the derelict dirty building across the main road.

The food is vile, I have never tasted anything so bland and disgusting in all my life. You have about 5 or 6 meal to chose from for tea and each meal was worse than the one before. For breakfast you had watery scrambled eggs, bean juice (I would like to say baked beans but there were none) and bacon or sausage on alternative days. The best thing at breakfast was the coffee and juice machines they had, but you were not allowed to use them at tea time, instead to had to wait 30 minutes after sitting down for a member of staff to come and take your order. After you had finished your evening meal you had to pay for the drinks you had ordered - KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS as the reception staff like to charge you for 'unpaid' drinks on check out (we paid every night and they tried to charge us until we shown them our receipts).

The pool was tiny and the only good thing about the pool area was that you didn't have those 6am people who like to take hostage the sun loungers, there was more than enough sun loungers to go round. There is no entertainment or kids clubs around the pool, there is a small pool table and a pinball machine that doesn't work.

The staff were unhelpful, everything you asked was like a chore, apart from the cleaners. The cleaners were friendly and always said hello, they kept the rooms tidy but we did have a few tiny ants and one roll of toilet paper to last a week.

The evening entertainment was dire, a different man on a keyboard all night and nothing for the kids at all.

This has to be by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

The harbour was lovely and only a 5 minute walk away, and the main square was about 15 minutes away with lots of bars and restaurants, we spent most of our nights there. There was an English Bar about a 2 minute walk away which was fantastic, they had quizzes and card bingo and lots of other entertainment on.

St Pauls Bay is lovely and the people (outside of the hotel) are really nice and friendly. Just avoid the San Pawl Hotel

4 Thank KLS87

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is nice for a cheap hotel. Friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms - what more do you need from a place where you only sleep at night?

We didnt use the common areas much, but we did get to see the breakfast buffet. Horrid stuff if you like healthy food. But take your breakfast by the beach and youll be fine

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trommes
Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We have brought our 9 yr old grandson away for his first holiday abroad and as we have been to Malta many times thought it would be nice for him, as we wanted to be quite central we booked the San Pawl what a poor choice it has turned out to be. We booked a so called superior room so we could have air conditioning which we have but the room although large has filthy net curtains and the heavy curtains are hanging off the hooks, the beds seem like a slab of wood with a mattress on an these are very old and thin. The food is not great and not enough selection. The pool is ok and the evening entertainment Monday to Thiursday is the same thing you get all over the Island, but come the weekend don't even try to get a drink or a seat in the bar because veen though you have paid good money for your holiday the hotel deem it ok to open the bar and dance area to the local community and if it is raining this switches to the indoor bar which is next to the childrens games room so you cannot here what you are saying to each other and then the locals complain if you shut a door even though it is your holiday the manager does nothing about it. Have been speaking with a very nice lady who although Maltese lives in England she has said that she would never stay at this Hotel again

1 Thank bromleybich
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We were put in 3046-tiny triangular room over looking the pool but it was spotless.
No fridge or aircon despite upgrading online through on the beach! The ceilng fan was old and i didnt cut it in the 36 degree heat! Sleeping was a nightmare - beds were like concrete and the balcony was super tiny!

Cannot comment on the food as we never ate/drank there - we went to jesters directly across the road - the family run pub/restaurant was very good and cheap. 1.50 euro for a Bravista lager which was the cheapest around,

Hotel is in a good location, 5 mins walk to St Pauls front and 15 mins to Bugibba Square.

We enjoyed our time in Malta but we would only return to San Pawl if they make aircon and fridge as standard!!

It is closing for refurb shortly for 6 months, lets hope they iron out the niggles.

Lexi

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here on a package with Thomson at the beginning of August. A lot of the reviews of the hotel are very negative, but it is one of the cheaper hotels in town.

Rooms are basic, but clean enough. The towels are changed daily and the room is swept, bathroom done etc. Bedding is changed less regularly but I would say changing it daily is wasteful, there was no problem when our son was ill with changing his bedding and the maid was very helpful with this. There was a small balcony and TV in the room (ours seemed to have a remote without having to ask for it). I don't agree with the comments about air conditioning, it is just a matter of getting used to the heat and adopting sensible habits like leaving the room with the curtains closed when the sun is shining on the window, the locals don't have it either and don't have the benefit of being able to wander around in shorts. The ceiling fan was working fine in our room, but the controls were a bit bizzare.

Breakfast and the evening meal were fine, breakfast is full english + continental and oddly a salad. Dinner is a salad bar or soup, a choice of 4 or so main courses (the best of which was the rabbit stew (fenek) and fruit/cakes etc for dessert. Drinks in the restaurant are quite expensive but no more pricey than a restaurant in the UK, they will save left over wine for the next day (not a facility we were in need of!) Just watch out if you have a nut allergy and avoid the cakes!

The swimming pool is nice, but can get a bit overcrowded mid afternoon. Seemed perfectly clean.

We went to the bar once or twice, it is OK but a bit expensive (3 euro per beer). There is a shop selling chilled beer opposite the hotel entrance so we sat and watched the crooners on the balcony. The entertainment is dreadful, but it pays to keep a sense of humour about these things as you hear a crooner singing 'cotton eyed joe' for the 5th time in the week. Oddly, the singer on Thursday seemed to be better so why they don't give him a better slot is a mystery to me. Entertainment always finished by midnight when we were there.

The staff are perfectly friendly once you realise that the maltese attitude is more relaxed than in the UK, we found all the hotel staff to be helpful generally, for example by phoning our rep when our transfer was late or the kitchen staff, seeing our son looking at the hotel cats, giving him some food to give to them.

The hotel is located in a fairly quiet area, there is a bar opposite and a few restaurants, but nothing major. There is nothing dodgy about the area and it is perfectly safe to walk around. You can walk in about 10-15 minutes to the main resort of Bugibba where there are more restaurants, bars etc. Local buses leave from a stop about 5 minutes from the hotel, to Valetta and other destinations. This is great value compared with tours, 2.60 euro for a day ticket.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday, the hotel is perfectly OK but not great, come with reasonable expectations and you will enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with larger balconies on the first floor, you could ask for these but they may...
1 Thank francophile099
Canifor Hotel
Canifor Hotel
#14 of 16 in Qawra
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,676 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!