“Unhelpful and unfriendly”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Unhelpful and unfriendly”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our poor experience of this hotel began on our arrival when we were informed that our room would not be available for 2 hours and apart from being given a place to put our cases we were given no apologies. When we finally got to our room we were very disappointed, the bedding was grubby, the furniture tatty and in the case of the wardrobe, broken. The sliding doors to the balcony didn't close properly and the glass in them was loose and in danger of falling out. The toilet didn't flush properly, the bath was rusty and the shower curtain was held up with sticky tape. One of the main reasons we booked this hotel was because it has a fitness suite, we shouldn't have bothered because with the exception of the treadmill nothing worked, we couldn't switch on the fans and the lighting wasn't working, when another gentleman complained the manager came in Tried the switches and left without explaining what was going on or sorting anything out. While we were staying at the hotel the only member of staff who was friendly and helpful was the lady on reception, everyone else behaved as if we were an inconvenience. I love coming to Malta and have made many friends here so my holiday has as always been lovely but this hotel would give the first time visitor to Malta nothing to come back for, it was awful.

4 Thank yumone
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
I am sorry about your review and only wish that you could have contacted me whilst on holiday, As I do not have any details not even a name I cannot verify your claims. What I can say is that at the gym everything works including the lights with the exception of a treadmill which is currently being repaired at the local agent. Please send me an email with all your details on generalmanager@sanpawlhotel.com

Regards

Max

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

please go to the sanpawl hotel we have stayed there for the past 3 years on long stays we are returning there againe on the 20th of may and hoping to go back October and December this year the food is fantastic good choice im a very fussy eater and there is always something that I can eat the manager max goes to extremw lenghs to make your stay a good one malta is a beautifull country instead of complaining about the rooms go out and explore it or go and experience life in another hotel beleave me I have tried doing that and wouldn't stay in them again all I can say is well done sanpawl hotel and see you in 2 weeks lynn smith from the uk xx

Room Tip: we always choose a room on the 3rd floor facing blacktall street
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
34 Thank lynn s
Wow thank you so much for your review , we all appreciate your comments, Thank you once again on behalf of my crew as well.

Tywyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I am going to Malta on the 9th of June for two weeks staying at this hotel with my partner and parents. This will be our third year staying at this hotel and we have never had any complaints. The staff have always been friendly and very helpful. We were told last year that the rooms were being upgraded this year and if the upgraded on the lobby is anything to go by the rooms will look lovely. Looking forward to getting there.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hayley_1969
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your comments and look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Bristol UK
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here on half board 21/4 - 28/4 and arrived after midnight checking in easily and found the gentleman in reception polite and friendly. Another couple arrived at the same time and they used the lift, but it broke down when we went to use it and it remained out of order all the next day. In fact it broke down again and was out of order again for the last 3 days of our stay, so it was not working most of the time for us.

Our room, 2042, smelt a bit odd when we first arrived and was obviously a smoking room as there was an ashtray on the dressing table. There were a couple of power sockets by the bed but only 1 worked, and there were 2 wall lights over the beds but the bulb had gone in one. The ceiling fan looked grubby and had wires exposed but it did work. The bathroom had some toothpaste splashes on the wall by the sink when we arrived, and it was still there when we left so I can't say that the cleaning was very thorough, but loo rolls were replenished when ever needed, and as somebody else mentioned the shower curtain didn't quite reach the bath, and the shower head squirted water out from the side when you turned the pressure up. The batteries kept falling out of the TV remote as the cover was broken and held in place with black insulation tape that came off.

There were extra blankets and pillows if you needed them and we slept fairly well. We awoke to our first morning to music being played around the pool from about 7.00 ish. Nobody was out there at that time so it would be better they left it until after 8.00 before starting.

The food was pretty good and plentiful, and we always found the restaurant staff helpful and efficient. Breakfasts included sliced white/brown bread, crispy baked bread, cereals, toast, jams and marmalade,eggs, bacon, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans. Fruit juices, tea and coffee all there to help yourself to.

Dinner was also quite good and examples included tuna steaks, turkey, meat pie, pork ribs, poached fish, chicken, lasagne, soup etc.And there were salads available too, one night a large bowl of local Octopus appeared which was delicious. There was always a choice of several desserts to help yourself to and you could also have cheese and biscuits. Some peoples greed was embarrassing.

The bar was fine and the staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was some sort of entertainment every night. It was a bit loud though and could be heard from our room 2 floors up until about 11 ish.

We often found that the drains smelt pretty terrible and there was nothing we could do stop it. It didn't make any difference if we put the plugs in the sink or bath it still reeked at times.

The location of the hotel was pretty good as we could get to the sea front easily from there or catch a bus from nearby.

You can get a weekly bus pass for 6 euros, or a day pass for 1.50 which takes you on any Malta bus (but not Gozo as this is a different bus company).

If you want to go to Valletta by bus it's very easy. Exit the hotel and turn right and go the end of the road where it joins the main road, cross over to the other side and wait for the number 12 to Buggiba. When you get on ask for an all day ticket (1.50 each) and stay on the bus. It goes down by the harbour then along the sea front and into the bus station at Buggiba, where it immediately re-starts it's journey onwards to Valletta so you don't have to get off at all. The journey goes on out through Qawra, and on to Pembroke, St Juliens, Sliema and then to Valetta bus station. Follow the crowd in to the main area of Vallatta, and when you come back you catch the same bus from bay 1. The set down and pick up areas in the Valletta bus station are in in different places, so as you come back out from Valletta through the main entrance, you need to turn left and head about 150 yards in that direction, but just follow the flow of people and you'll find it.

The buses are sometimes crowded and people don't seem to form an orderly queue like we usually do, so in the bus station stick together, and if you miss one don't worry they come along fairly regularly.

The miracle church at Mosta Rotunda, where the German WWII bomb smashed through the dome and landed amongst the congregation without exploding, is worth a visit and you can catch the 41/42 from the stops on the main road after turning right from the hotel (as above).
Just check the timetables on the stop to make sure you are on correct side of the road as I can't remember which side we caught it from now.

If we stayed here again I would definitely want to upgrade to a better room, but couldn't complain this time as it was a last minute booking and was very inexpensive. If you want 5 star service and facilities you should book and pay for 5 star.

Overall it was good value for money but could do with a little more attention to detail in some areas, even though it's not 5 star, such as a proper clean in the bathroom and some bleach or air freshener for the toilet please.

Room Tip: Probably best not to have a room in the area above the bar, or go higher up than 2nd floor if you c...
4 Thank Battlax
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday. I look forward to meeting you again in the future. Your points have also been noted as well.

Dorset
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Went to san pawl for a week 21-28 April. arrived and first impressions were good. I asked for a room with easy access as I am 6 months pregnant. got put on the other end of the hotel on the 3rd floor and a lift that didn’t work half the time so that was fun. The reception staff are appalling to say the least. I have visited many places all over the world and this has to be the worst of all. They speak to you like rubbish even when your kind and polite...so very sad. I complained about the bed. The response was (hands in the air) what do you want from us??? Gave me a key to look at a room to see if any better. I walked in and the people hadn’t even left the room their things were everywhere!! a major security breech if you ask me i was so shocked. We locked the key in our room day 5 and they didn’t even ask my name just let me into the room!! Again..security..that could have been anyone and all my stuff could have gone. Just disgusted. Food was good. I was never hungry found lots to eat but went out a lot as well as the food in Malta is lovely and cheap to you will be spoilt for choice at the resort restaurants. Never had a bad meal if im honest. Pool was ok there is however a yellow slime/grime growing on the inside of it so I never went in. The drains in the morning are so smelly comes up through the basin so keep the plug down. I had to steal toilet roll from the toilet in the lobby as they didn’t replenish everyday and when asked for some...oh my hard work and again just attitude attitude. Max the manager - I asked to speak to him on 2 occasions but he was never around - so max don’t bother responding now you are no help to me and the damage has been done. My advice to you is employ staff who smile and remember their manners when they wake up...everyday!! The staff would make this hotel somewhat better if they were polite. In general I found the people in Malta mostly very rude. Not the Malta people but the visitors and the workers who come from other countries. Would I go back?? No I don’t think I would. There is plenty more to see. Beautiful place, food and cake scrumptious but that’s about it.
Good luck but don’t stay here. I hear the Topaz is lovely and well worth a visit. The manager there actually gives a dam about his guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank happygolucky26
All I have to say is strange that I was not seen as my office is just opposite the reception and I am always available.

Anyway thank you for your comments .

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

oxford
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed from 4/4/14 to 24/4/14 half board with Chevron, for a reunion with friends we met two years ago, last year the refurbishment took place and the hotel was closed.
We hoped the hotel would be better with the foyer looking very smart but apart from a small change in the bar and entertainment room nothing else had altered, The acts where even the same, the old lady doing flamenco with her family was highly the act of the week and as for the rest they where trying very trying.
The bedrooms still had the same curtains and bed covers that they had two years ago, the beds needed a lot to be desired.
I know refurbishments come with a price but to charge 10euros deposit and 1.5 euros a day for a kettle, I could have bought a new one for less there was also the internet available for a price, if you decide to use the service make sure you can log out as your time keeps going even when you are not using it.
My wife is on insulin injections and we needed to put her pens in the fridge only to be told that would be 35euros deposit and 3.5euros a day to have a fridge in the room but we would have to wait till the following day to get one as nobody was available, we told them to stick it and put them in the restaurant fridge with our wine.
Lift was always breaking down, and when we were leaving at 5.30am a guest was stuck in the it
We will not be going there again
Romina who serviced our room was excellent thank you, and so were the staff in the restaurant and bar although very sparse
overall a very clean and tidy hotel but no added extras

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi David.

Thank you for your review and I shall consider lowering the prices of both the kettle and the frigo bar. I agree we could do better.

Regards

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here half board from the 20/04/14 through 24/04/14 on a short visit to Buggiba. The primary reason for our visit was Scuba diving in the local area and as such we were really just looking for somewhere cheap to crash out after the days activities.
Plus points, the prices are very reasonable and the hotel is extremely clean, with staff hard at work at all hours of the day cleaning the rooms, common area's and pool area to a standard that a 5 star hotel would be proud of. Customer service was in general good, there were a couple of members of staff that were curt, but in general everyone was friendly and helpful.
Negative points.. Food left something to be desired, think more school canteen than cordon bleu and no healthy option was a bit of a bummer for us. However considering the low cost it would be unreasonable to expect more. One thing to watch out for is the drink prices in the restaurant itself as the prices in the menu's do not match up with the prices charged. If you find you have a hand written menu ask for a printed one otherwise you will look at paying a few Euro's more than quoted in the menu's. Its also not the quietest of locations with the bar next door playing Karaoke until the early hours of the morning and music from the pool area starting at around 7am. The hotel rooms themselves are very basic and the showerhead in ours had definitely seen better days, more a leaky tap than a shower. Overall very good value but not a hotel for those that require creature comforts.

1 Thank Tigs77uk
Dear Sir,

Thank yu for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Euroclub Hotel
Euroclub Hotel
#13 of 15 in Qawra

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!