“Excellent facility and great value”
Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Leeming Bar, null, United Kingdom
“Excellent facility and great value”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

it was an extremely enjoyable stay. The rooms were clean, and the staff were helpful, polite and efficient. Rooms were cleaned daily and the linen and towels changed daily. The pool was brilliant, and kept clean, (treated every day along with the surrounding area), and it was easy to get a sun lounger at any time. The food was very good and exceeded what we expected. It was buffet style and you can eat as much as you like. One thing someone mentioned was the barbecue. I actually have to agree with them. We were on a half board basis and while the barbecue was nice and plentiful. I don't think it was worth ten euros MORE than we had already paid for our meal. However it was a pleasant and different experience. The only negative comment I have is the lack of parking facilities, but this is a problem everywhere in Malta and therefore not a fault of the hotel. The San Pawl is very very good value, and I would definitely stay there again given the option.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms tend to be near the rooftop fans and conditioners. I was on the second floor wh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barry G
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank yuo for your comments and kind words we sincerely appreciate them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from my second weeks holiday this year there. have stayed a few times at this hotel and some others in the area. I was asked at my last meal if I would write a review and said I would.
I thought I would try and give a honest review of how I find the area, the hotel and its staff/services.
The hotel is on a busy street and area in Malta, which, if you didn't know. can get noisy with cars, lorries, trucks and buses. Yes it can be noisy if you are on the outside rooms. I actually don't see this as the hotels responsibility or fault... Traffic is what it is. The hotel is very central and easy to find, but has some steep slopes or steps leading down to the main road in to st Pauls bay. Reception area is lovely after a refit last year. I do feel that some of the rooms could do with some loving attention too, just a quick look and repairs of some small problems could improve perception so much. When I stayed in March the balcony door wouldn't shut quite right. i did not complain because I always sleep with them open anyway. The room was fairly compact and not lots of room but was clean and tidied every day with clean towels being left. I dont go on holiday to stay in my room or to watch tv. but I think more thought could be put into what channels the tv's get in relation to the guests.
This last week our room was lovely with one exception...... the air conditioning unit seemed to have had its wires just pulled out. and some tape over the wall controls....Obviously broken and just left, not something I mentioned. because we didn't pay or expect air con. however, A guest staying in that room may be quite upset if they have paid or expect it. (305) Staff in the restaurant are a mixed bunch. I have always found that ALL are very accommodating and helpful when asked. Quite a few remembered us from our stay in march which was nice. However, it seemed they had had quite a few new younger staff since we were there in March and just a point of observation....... they should smile a bit more :) people are on holiday and want to see happy smiling faces.The food is normally of a reasonable standard with 2 starters and 3 main dishes nightly. I was a little disappointed this week as there was not as much fresh fish as I have previously encountered.... fish was available each night, but was breaded, salmon or tuna. Deserts are far too sugary for me, and I don't eat them, but again well presented and always seemed plentiful. I had ice cream most nights which most guests are not aware you can ask for. For some reason, ice cream is not available when they have jelly. no idea why. Fresh fruit was available at most meals but seemed confined to oranges and melon. Breakfasts are as people have said a bit repetitive, but on quick count up. 4, cereals, 2 types of egg, bacon or sausages, beans, tomatoes, bread, toaster, 5 different juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cold meats, cheeses,cakes and fruit.............. I think that's a fairly good choice given some of the breakfast choices I've had in the UK.
One thing someone mentioned was the barbecue. I actually have to agree with them. We were on a half board basis and while the barbecue was nice and plentiful. I don't think it was worth ten euros MORE than we had already paid for our meal. Fish was advertised as an item, yet no fish was available. If I return, I wouldn't have the barbecue again.
The pool area could do with some small minor repairs to the tiles. I KNOW that happens because some were being done when i was here last. I find the pool area fine spacious and plenty of sunbeds if you want to use one. I have spent some time in the hotel bar and to be honest, i think its sort of laid out wrong. it may be the building and pillars etc, but always seems cramped and crowded, so generally we go out. having said this, some entertainment was outside. plenty of room there.
A big opportunity I think the hotel miss out on is WI-fi. almost everyone has WI-fi nowadays and the cost of the hotel use is a bit high. I think they could come up with a weekly ticket for use, rather than a hourly one which has to be used within a certain time. Perhaps that's the deal with their supplier.

I hope people visiting find this useful. As I said, we have been at this hotel 5 times or more, and I see no reason for not using it on further trips to Malta. Its not the Hilton,but you are not paying Hilton prices. its a good friendly hotel which i think offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Carbootman
Thank you for your review . Much appreciated
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

As a family we stayed for 10 nights half board and it was a very enjoyable stay,the staff was polite and efficient.The food was great as it was buffet style and you can eat as much or as little considering my husband and son are quite fussy they managed to polish off their plates.The swimming pool area was busy and one of the highlights.The manager Mr Bray encourages to participates on nightly entertainments and everyone was helpful as my husband has a disability;so overall our stay was well worth it.The only down side was the bathroom needs updating but was cleaned daily and clean towels provided.The location is in the centre but the Buggiba main area can be reached about 10-15 mins brisk walk however there are buses which we used daily as for one week bus pass cost 6.50 euros comparing to 15 euros charged by taxi.We would definitely return to Malta.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria W
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

i really enjoyed stay in San Pawl Hotel. Staff were frienfly, room clean, food quite good.
basically good value for money! I can recommend everyone whos prefer spending more time on sightseeing than 'doing nothing' in hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kateee93
Thank you for your review. Much appreciated
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel was ok!
Plus pionts:
Varied and good quality breakfasts
Nice pool
Good location
Minus pionts:
Noisy cleaners from 7am cleaning the pool every day
Very loud outside ""entertainment until 11.30pm every night
Pool opens at 9.00am and closes at 5.00pm.
A good trip though!!
I would go back!

Room Tip: I would recomend for those who are not that picky and you get what you pay for!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eve F
Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Not one of the best places but it's a 3* , the staff were friendly! the rooms were clean! the food in the restaurant not really great advise to go b&b , the bar and outside entertainment was good, the swing pool was clean and plenty of lounge, will go back again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karima A
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your comments we appreciate them.

Max
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel has had a refurbishment and is clean and tidy
The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly
The food however is below average as ther was very little choice especially if you have small children as they didnt cater for kids meals.The choice for breakfast was sausages and fried eggs one day and the next day was scrambled eggs and bacon (tomatoes every day) no fresh fruit ,there was a choice of cereals agian limited .The evening meals concisted of soup of the day then potatoes either sliced one day then in halfs the next day ,if you dont get in early when its gone its gone .They try to get more money out of you by having a BBQ which if you want to go is 15 Euro each now most hotels i have stayed at do this for free instead of the evening meal .We declined and went to Georges on the seafront and had two decent meals with drinks which came to 20 Euros .We booked a room with a land view what we got was a room with a view of peoples apartments opposite which had no air con.we paid the extra to be moved to a superior room which had a fridge and air con ,it seems most people do the same .It is in a good location however this is no reflection on the hotel but the night life in this area in the last 4 years since we were there last has rapidly gone down hill as more and more bars have closed down,but that can be said for a lot of places just like in England.We would stay at this hotel again as it is what it is a cheap hotel.

Room Tip: always book a superior room it may cost a bit more but well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven A
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear that you where disappointed. We shall try and incorporate a kids menu however if you have children our chefs would be more then happy to prepare you any kids meal as long as its booked in advanced during bfst

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Canifor Hotel
Canifor Hotel
#14 of 15 in Qawra
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,705 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!