“Very good, cheap and cheerful”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Very good, cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Malta is a very lovely place, especially Bugibba where this hotel is located. Pros: It is in a perfect location, staff are all friendly and polite, entertainment every night, has a pool, internet facilities, next to bus route, ignore the stupid reviews about the showers not being powerful enough, if anything they are too powerful lol, room service every day and you get what you pay for basically

Cons: Sheets weren't changed often, about twice a week if that, food on the whole was nice but not a vast amount of variety, however the chiefs are very nice and offer to cook you up sometime else, housekeepers just enter your room in the morning before checking if anyone is in there which is akeward, entertainment is repetative and loud up until 11:30 but WORST con is how drinks are not included even when you go half board. I understand alcoholic drinks arent included but I was confused when you had to pay 1.50 for water when they have 2 working water machines which are free to use at breakfast, so why they cant use them in the afternoon like other hotels is a mystery but nevermind, the key is to buy water from a shop in bulk and drink it before eating.

Overall, a very nice stay, we felt safe and got our moneys worth which is the main thing, if you want a place just to sleep, chill out at the Pool once or twice a week and have a budget breakfast look no further..

The staff are all lovely and if people are complaining about these stupid little flaws and bad reviews, they should pay more to stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel...?

Room Tip: get a pool view and preferable the top, away from the entertainment side of the hotel as possible
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mylzitrak
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guet,

I thank you for your review and appreciate your comments. I would like to point out that we do not offer any drinks during dinners as part of the half board. Usually drinks are ONLY provided if a client books on all inclusive and not half board. Drinks during breakfast are free as these are part of the entitlement , machines serve juices and dinners.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
england
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for 8 nights at The San Pawl recently. Had read the reviews and was hopeful we had made a good choice. We booked a superior land view room b&b and it was lovely. The reception are was clean and cool. We arrived in the early hours of the morning and though the man on reception didn't seem the happiest, he may just have been as tired as we were. Our room was on the 2nd floor just over the main entrance. The room was lovely big and clean and the balcony was just big enough for the 2 plastic chairs and little table provided. There was air conditioning in the room and also a ceiling fan, though we never used this as it was quite noisy. There was a small fridge, television (never used) and a safe in the room, but unfortunately we did not use this either, more of that later. There was a bath with overhead shower and the bathroom was clean and spacious. I couldn't fault the room and housekeeping came in everyday to make the beds and leave clean towels and there was always plenty of toilet rolls as well. Breakfast was plentiful and you had eggs, bacon/sausage (alternate days), tomatoes, beans, selection of meats, cereals, toast, bread, rolls and some days there was fruit aswell. All in all it was quite plentiful, there was also all the coffee/tea/fruit juice you could drink. The pool area was a nice layout and there was always sunbeds available and you could choose to be in the direct sun or the shade. there was entertainment every night, and this did sometimes leave alot to be desired, maybe it was the time of year and is probably better when the hotel is full. There was something on each night and it ranged from karaoke, singers, line dancers. On one particular night the man singing I think couldn't really be bothered and to be honest there was only a handful of people watching so I suppose you couldn't blame him, but when he just started singing 'laa laa laa' along to the music it wasn't good and it only improved when he gave a little boy his tambourine who then ran around everywhere shaking that and that was more entertaining than the actual entertainment! Staff in the hotel was always friendly and helpful if we needed any help.
Now to the blip, unfortunately we had some money taken from the room. As said earlier, we didn't use the safe, as I wasn't prepared to pay even more for something that was already in the room. I hadn't left the money out, I thought I had hidden it well enough and really didn't expect people to go rooting through my belongings. We had at least 70 euro's taken and also a £20 english note taken. The following day after taking all our money out with us, I left a bit of a trap and when we returned to the room, where I had been leaving the money had been disturbed so I knew for definite. I suppose we were lucky they hadn't took everything! We asked to speak to the Manager/Duty Manager of the hotel and explained what had happened. He took the details, unfortunately we had no proof that the money had been taken so it was just our word and though there was cctv outside our room it wouldn't show what was going on inside. We were happy with how it was dealt with, we knew we wouldn't get our money back and if it is found out who took it or even if it isn't then I hope at least the management is more aware and they will be monitoring their staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you opt for a superior room as these have the air conditioning. If you go for a basic roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review.
Leeming Bar, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

it was an extremely enjoyable stay. The rooms were clean, and the staff were helpful, polite and efficient. Rooms were cleaned daily and the linen and towels changed daily. The pool was brilliant, and kept clean, (treated every day along with the surrounding area), and it was easy to get a sun lounger at any time. The food was very good and exceeded what we expected. It was buffet style and you can eat as much as you like. One thing someone mentioned was the barbecue. I actually have to agree with them. We were on a half board basis and while the barbecue was nice and plentiful. I don't think it was worth ten euros MORE than we had already paid for our meal. However it was a pleasant and different experience. The only negative comment I have is the lack of parking facilities, but this is a problem everywhere in Malta and therefore not a fault of the hotel. The San Pawl is very very good value, and I would definitely stay there again given the option.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms tend to be near the rooftop fans and conditioners. I was on the second floor wh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barry G
Thank yuo for your comments and kind words we sincerely appreciate them.
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from my second weeks holiday this year there. have stayed a few times at this hotel and some others in the area. I was asked at my last meal if I would write a review and said I would.
I thought I would try and give a honest review of how I find the area, the hotel and its staff/services.
The hotel is on a busy street and area in Malta, which, if you didn't know. can get noisy with cars, lorries, trucks and buses. Yes it can be noisy if you are on the outside rooms. I actually don't see this as the hotels responsibility or fault... Traffic is what it is. The hotel is very central and easy to find, but has some steep slopes or steps leading down to the main road in to st Pauls bay. Reception area is lovely after a refit last year. I do feel that some of the rooms could do with some loving attention too, just a quick look and repairs of some small problems could improve perception so much. When I stayed in March the balcony door wouldn't shut quite right. i did not complain because I always sleep with them open anyway. The room was fairly compact and not lots of room but was clean and tidied every day with clean towels being left. I dont go on holiday to stay in my room or to watch tv. but I think more thought could be put into what channels the tv's get in relation to the guests.
This last week our room was lovely with one exception...... the air conditioning unit seemed to have had its wires just pulled out. and some tape over the wall controls....Obviously broken and just left, not something I mentioned. because we didn't pay or expect air con. however, A guest staying in that room may be quite upset if they have paid or expect it. (305) Staff in the restaurant are a mixed bunch. I have always found that ALL are very accommodating and helpful when asked. Quite a few remembered us from our stay in march which was nice. However, it seemed they had had quite a few new younger staff since we were there in March and just a point of observation....... they should smile a bit more :) people are on holiday and want to see happy smiling faces.The food is normally of a reasonable standard with 2 starters and 3 main dishes nightly. I was a little disappointed this week as there was not as much fresh fish as I have previously encountered.... fish was available each night, but was breaded, salmon or tuna. Deserts are far too sugary for me, and I don't eat them, but again well presented and always seemed plentiful. I had ice cream most nights which most guests are not aware you can ask for. For some reason, ice cream is not available when they have jelly. no idea why. Fresh fruit was available at most meals but seemed confined to oranges and melon. Breakfasts are as people have said a bit repetitive, but on quick count up. 4, cereals, 2 types of egg, bacon or sausages, beans, tomatoes, bread, toaster, 5 different juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cold meats, cheeses,cakes and fruit.............. I think that's a fairly good choice given some of the breakfast choices I've had in the UK.
One thing someone mentioned was the barbecue. I actually have to agree with them. We were on a half board basis and while the barbecue was nice and plentiful. I don't think it was worth ten euros MORE than we had already paid for our meal. Fish was advertised as an item, yet no fish was available. If I return, I wouldn't have the barbecue again.
The pool area could do with some small minor repairs to the tiles. I KNOW that happens because some were being done when i was here last. I find the pool area fine spacious and plenty of sunbeds if you want to use one. I have spent some time in the hotel bar and to be honest, i think its sort of laid out wrong. it may be the building and pillars etc, but always seems cramped and crowded, so generally we go out. having said this, some entertainment was outside. plenty of room there.
A big opportunity I think the hotel miss out on is WI-fi. almost everyone has WI-fi nowadays and the cost of the hotel use is a bit high. I think they could come up with a weekly ticket for use, rather than a hourly one which has to be used within a certain time. Perhaps that's the deal with their supplier.

I hope people visiting find this useful. As I said, we have been at this hotel 5 times or more, and I see no reason for not using it on further trips to Malta. Its not the Hilton,but you are not paying Hilton prices. its a good friendly hotel which i think offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Carbootman
Thank you for your review . Much appreciated
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

As a family we stayed for 10 nights half board and it was a very enjoyable stay,the staff was polite and efficient.The food was great as it was buffet style and you can eat as much or as little considering my husband and son are quite fussy they managed to polish off their plates.The swimming pool area was busy and one of the highlights.The manager Mr Bray encourages to participates on nightly entertainments and everyone was helpful as my husband has a disability;so overall our stay was well worth it.The only down side was the bathroom needs updating but was cleaned daily and clean towels provided.The location is in the centre but the Buggiba main area can be reached about 10-15 mins brisk walk however there are buses which we used daily as for one week bus pass cost 6.50 euros comparing to 15 euros charged by taxi.We would definitely return to Malta.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria W
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

i really enjoyed stay in San Pawl Hotel. Staff were frienfly, room clean, food quite good.
basically good value for money! I can recommend everyone whos prefer spending more time on sightseeing than 'doing nothing' in hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kateee93
Thank you for your review. Much appreciated
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel was ok!
Plus pionts:
Varied and good quality breakfasts
Nice pool
Good location
Minus pionts:
Noisy cleaners from 7am cleaning the pool every day
Very loud outside ""entertainment until 11.30pm every night
Pool opens at 9.00am and closes at 5.00pm.
A good trip though!!
I would go back!

Room Tip: I would recomend for those who are not that picky and you get what you pay for!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eve F
Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Canifor Hotel
Canifor Hotel
#14 of 16 in Qawra

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!