“Fantastic Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My daughters and I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. After reading the reviews I was a bit apprehensive, but for a 3 star hotel it was brilliant. We had a standard room with a fan no air conditioning, in the height of summer, the heat was a bit of a shock at first, but we soon got'used to the hot nights. We over looked the pool, and it was great to listen to the entertainment on the balcony before going to bed. We were bed and breakfast, and I felt there was a lot of choice, I loved the fresh bread and jam! Fruit juices, and teas and coffee. The sausages were my favourite, and the bacon was good. Rooms were clean and beds made daily. The pool was clean, and we had no problem getting a sun lounger. The staff were happy and helpful, and I would quite happily stay here again.. Chris's snack bar across the road, was brilliant food and drink very reasonably priced, and a short walk to Buggiba Square, there were lots of restaurants to choose from, Our Favourite was Grannys, who's prices and choice of food were fantastic ( Even my vegetarian daughter found plenty to eat. )
I will definitely be going back .............. as soon as I can!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank terri_burns
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review . I much appreciate it.

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have traveled to many places and stayed in many hotels, but think this was one on the poorer ones i have stayed in and the area as well, was not our cup of tea, but can tick Malta off our travel list.

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as we spent 4 nights firstly in Gozo at the San Andreas Hotel in Xlendi - please stay there with a sea view room! it was awesome.

For the price of this hotel... you can not complain!

RECEPTION:
the reception are is very nice, the receptionists were nice enough, but nothing special with regards to a warm welcome.

ROOM:
We paid for a standard room, but when we entered our room on the 4th floor, there was a fridge and also air conditioning, so i guess we were "upgraded" to the superior room.

The room had air con (which was not very powerful, a fridge, a safe (that you had to pay for) ceiling fan (that creaked and sounded like a pig oinking, i kid you not lol) so had to have that off at night because it was noisy, the room was overall hot regardless of ceiling fan or air con, when the reception air con was great!

The beds had no mattress cover and the mattresses were dated and old, the beds creaked, the pillow cases appeared clean but stained and some of the pillows appeared to be just torn bits of foam, stuffed into a pillow case.

The floors were clean, just everything was a bit tired, the hairdryer was about 20 years old and got incredible hot to hold and had white flaking tape around the broken parts of it.

The shower was ok, plenty of hot water but the shower head was more of a drip than a shower.

We did not use the pool or restaurant, we just used this as a base to explore.

The hotel has a "no outside food policy" but we have a drawstring bag and popped across the road to the local mini marts to get snacks for our fridge!

We also had a hire car, do not hire a car with GOLD CAR! - We managed to find parking around the hotel, but it is sparse.

I personally would not return to this hotel or part of malts, think only Gozo, which is just my preference, as main land Malta has a "Benidorm/ magaluf, ibiza feel to it, couldn't really find a decent restaurant, it has a mainly cafe feel and cater to the "british menu" too much and cocktail bars was shockingly poor quality. but at least we gave it a go.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sammysyrett

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for a week with my friend, overall had a great holiday, staff were all lovely and went out of their way to be friendly, we especially loved Gerry the chef and the rep Steph! Had a good variety of food and considering we were holidaying peak times always sunbeds available if needed!
Room was hot but rest of hotel had air conditioning, room was cleaned and replenished daily! We loved the easiness of excursions being picked up and dropped off directly from
Hotel and being minutes walk away from the main square! Perfect location! Overall great holiday and would stay at this hotel again! :)

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Hulalaura
Thank you for your review, I much appreciate it.

Regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We spent the first two weeks of July at this hotel using two rooms staying on a half board basis. I have to admit I was impressed the moment we arrived in the foyer. Such a shame the rooms were not quite up to the same standard. I believe this hotel had a recent refurbishment; this did not go as far as the rooms we were using.
The restaurant was lovely. My family did enjoy all on offer and were impressed by the choice. I on the other hand had a little trouble as I am a vegetarian. Even the salads seem to contain bits of meat. I did mention this to staff to no avail. It was about 10 days before I managed to convince them I would not eat pasta with a little meat. From then on they did provided something suitable and I have to say it was much enjoyed. As for the soup, when asking if it contained meat the answers ranged from yes/no/only vegetables.
The biggest disappointment I had was after paying for half board we were expected to pay another 10 euros for the Barbeque on the Friday evening. I was assured there will be much more to choose from and I could have anything I wanted! Again it was meat with almost everything. The Chef did eventually rustle me up a lovely pizza, I doubt it was worth the extra 10 euros.
Our rooms did not have air conditioning as I had expected. I did not believe the large fan from the ceiling pushing warm air down as air conditioning. In our bath rooms the toilet seats were broken (yes in both rooms). My shower curtain had one hook holding it up for four days as the others had fallen down. Eventually I had to stand on a chair to fit them as the cleaner just left the hooks on the side of the bath. The bedding was in need of repair. I believe the sheets were not changed as often as expected although the cleaners did a nice job of making the bed look fresh every day.
Sadly one or two female staff were not what I would call “people persons” and appeared quite off and surly towards customers. As for the male staff, they were much friendlier and made us feel very welcome.
I felt the hire charge for the safety deposit box in the rooms was rather excessive (28 euro). The WIFI was costly considering the Pubs at each end of the street provided it for free (Ziggys club and Chris’s bar).

Room Tip: ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Joan B
Dear guest thank you for your review, We do have a variety of food and what is not on show can be made up at no cost. The BBQ is an extra option and as a BBQ the main dishes are meat as advertised we have chicken, beef, pork and tuna steaks, there are 13 different types of salad with only a couple containing meat. Soups are vegetable based as well. However as I said our chefs are always willing to help and cater for your needs
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just stayed in this hotel for a week and found it to be a good hotel for the price we paid.
The rooms were basic but ideal for what we needed. We go on holiday to go out each day, not stay in a hotel room.
The rooms were cleaned daily and the towels were also changed.
The staff were helpful, especially one of the managers, Alfred. He is a good asset for this hotel with his enthusiastic energy and his very friendly nature.
The pool was always clean and the water was clear. We always managed to find a sunbed when we needed one.
I would have liked to have seen wash room facilities for families, ie a room with a washing machine or two, would have been a great help to our family.
Wi fi was very pricey, we paid 6 euro per day to access the internet.
The food was fine, with plenty of choice for adults but very little choice for children, ie : fish fingers or pizzas etc.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean hotel on a budget.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank david t
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your review I appreciate it . It was a pleasure hositing you and hope to see you again in the near future.

Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at san pawl for 10 days last year so booked again for august arrived at hotel where we were told no room we were annoyed because we had arranged to stay here with friends so moved to a 4 star hotel , apparently it's the on line holiday company's over booking not the hotels fault , after 5 days we visited friends in san pawl and ask could we move back they said yes they had two rooms but were a bit surprised we wanted to move considering we were in a 4 star and there 3 star , we booked san pawl because the staff are great and the pool area is clean and looked after and food is good there's always something to eat even for me and I'm fussy , was glad to move back to the san pawl and had a great end to our holiday , the hotel could do with some up dating and more for kids but since our visit last year you can notice some changes for the better , going again for the new and can't wait :-) the two chefs are lovely , the reception staff always helpful and I couldn't fault this hotel u get what u pay for ! And I'll definitely be booking for next July to !

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Carolinederry
Thank you again for a fantastic review, we appreciate it :)

Regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

we always stay at the san pawl hotel we go there every year sometimes twice a year stayed at the hotel againe in may this year for 2 weeks we wouldnt stay at any other hotel we have tried a lot of them over the years but stayed at this one for the past 4 years when i go on holiday to this hotel it feels like we are going to stay with a big malteese family from arriving there to coming back home we really enjoy every minuite of our stay i would like to say a BIG THANK YOU when we arrived this year my husband malcolm was taken ill and was ill all of our stay and every one did all they could to make our stay a pleasent one thank you to the RECEPTION staff for your kindnes thank you to the MAIDS thank you to the CHEFFS for your fantastic food and thank you to the WAITERS and all the MANAGEMENT in the DINNING ROOM for your kindness towards my husband nothing was too much trouble for you in these situations when illness strikes in a country away from home people feel scared and alone but we didnt all of the staff did all they could to take that feeling away from us i would also like to say they treat ALL THEIR GUESTS this way you only need ask and help is there for EVERY ONE i would also like to say a BIG BIG THANK YOU to you manager max from me and malcolm your help and support was priceless you made sure all of our stay was a lovely one and you did all you could to make that happen for us and you made sure my husband was rested untill the taxi came to take us to the airport and for that we will always be THANKFULL to you what a FANTASTIC MANAGER for this hotel to have we were hoping to go back for my husbands 70th birthday in october but for now illness is stopping us as malcolm is awaiting major surgery but we have said when things get a little better we are hoping to come back befor christamas or for christmas we can celabrate his birthday then thank you all againe see you soon lynn malcolm smith from the uk

Room Tip: we always stay in a room faceing blacktall street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
11 Thank lynn s
Thank you so much for your review, I and we all really appreciate it, Please send my regards to all and I am happy that I have been of help to you, It makes you feel good when somebody acknowledges your efforts, and for that I thank you too.

Yours sincerely

Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 16 in Qawra
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,898 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!