“We liked it!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
“We liked it!”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We have just spent a week at the Hotel Santana on a half board basis.

On arrival we asked for a second key card and this was given to us and returned at the end of our stay.

We had a standard room at the front of the hotel. The balcony was big enough for a table and two chairs where you could sit out.

The room was a little dated but very clean and had an overhead fan and air conditioning. At first we could not get the air conditioning to work and we reported it to reception. The maintenance man came to the room within 5 minutes of our asking and said that the window in the room has to be properly shut for the aircon to work. After that it worked brilliantly.

The fridge was only coolish but was okay to keep your bottled water/milk/cola/beer in. We took our own travel kettle and some sachets of nice coffee. All the plug sockets in the room were the same as in England so no need for travel plugs.

The television was modern but only had a couple of English channels - mostly news. Not a problem as we didn't watch much tv .

Both beds had new deep mattresses and were comfortable and the bedding was clean. The chambermaid made the beds and cleaned the room every day.

The bathroom was modern with a large walk in shower - it was not a wet room. As the shower door opens outwards placing the towelling bathmat under the door mopped up any water running off the door. The water pressure was good and there was hot water any time of the day. The hairdryer worked well enough for me. The towels were changed every day.

The food was very good value for money. There was plenty to choose from for both breakfast and dinner. We always found plenty to eat and it was to a good standard. Breakfast was cereals, porridge, continental, toast and jam, full english, fruit, boiled eggs, croissants, bread etc. I used my own coffee sachets at breakfast although hot drinks and fruit juice is available.

Dinner was a different soup every night, 8-10 lovely salad selections, a pasta dish, a fish dish, vegetable selection, potato dish, chips, curry or stew, a different meat carved every night - always tender. There were always four or five different cakes for dessert and assorted ice cream. The drinks in the hotel were reasonably priced. Throughout our stay all of the staff in the dining room and the chefs were pleasant, friendly and attentive.

The pool on the roof was clean. There are two areas on different levels both of which have a covered section. Very useful when it is so hot The pool bar serves drinks and snacks. The sunbeds next to the pool are the most comfortable and we did not have any trouble getting a sunbed here.

The hop-on hop-off bus stops right outside the hotel. A young lad sells the tickets outside and is very helpful. The Grand Harbour tour was excellent and well recommended. Be wary of very cheap bus tours as it is a timeshare tout trick which means the hard sell for hours at some hotel trying to sell you something for a lot of money.

All the staff at the Hotel Santana were pleasant and friendly throughout our stay. Any small problems were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CNug57
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Carol N.,

Many thanks for your detailed review of Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our product and services. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff pleasant and helpful.
We look forward to welcomig you back to Malta and our hotel on your future visit. Do contact me if I can be of assistance to you with any future booking to our hotel.

In the meantime
Hotel Santana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
LANCASHIRE
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just returned from the holiday with my 83 year old mother in law.
Friendly staff will help with any problem. We had previously stayed in this hotel some 5 years ago and it was perfect, now not so perfect.
We were given a back room where the views were less than perfect.
We saw a skip with builders rubble and to our right electrics and pipes pinned to the wall so not good. I would have complained but not wanting to upset my mother in law decided to leave it. Food is acceptable but 5 years ago it was great. Then we had a not so little visitor in our room - a huge Cockroach taking a walk, about 1" in size. I immediately ran for help and he did kill it and flush it down the loo (after me hairspraying it to slow it down) So this hotel is off my list of places to visit.

Room Tip: When booking make sure it is a front room and not a back one. Outside front is lovely but the back...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jo W.,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor and more your most favourable comments regarding our product and services. I am pleased to note that you like our new bathrooms and the shaded areas by the pool.

I hope we will soon be welcoming you back to Malta and to Hotel Santana. In this regard do please contact me in case you need more information about prices etc. or any other assistance with your booking.

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I love Malta and for me you cannot beat this Hotel for price and location.
I have been to Hotel Santana now 5 times, and loved it here every time !
The bathrooms have been upgraded - which is wonderful....
The pool now has a shaded area - which is a welcome relief from the hot hot hot days.
Breakfast is always in plentiful supply and the staff courteous as always.
AC and fan in rooms - which gives you the best of both worlds.....

Room Tip: Most rooms have balcony - but to be fair no spectaular views, but good for watching the world go by...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Jo W
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Jo W.,

I am so pleased to read that this was your fifth visit to our hotel and that our product and services again met your expectations. Thank you for reviewing or hotel on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience and for yourfavourable comments.

We look forward to your sixth visit to our hotel and are at your disposal to assist you with any future booking.

In the meantime we remain
yours sincerley
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is a good hotel in an ideal location, one minute from the bus station and 5 mins from the seafront and the centre of Buggiba. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly. The food is good quality but could be so much better with just a little more effort. It is cooked too far in advance meaning that items come out of the kitchen cold because they have been stood too long. On several occasions at breakfast fried eggs and tomatoes were delivered to the bain-maries cold, yuk. There was always a wide choice at both breakfast and evening dinner but time between cooking and consumption does affect the taste. I suppose its one of the problems of mass catering. Smaller batches topped up more regularly might help.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billandann100
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear billandann 100,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel and for your positive comments. I will be discussing your review in detail with our management team, especially with our executive chef, in view of improving our product and services.

In the meantime, should you be returning to Malta and our hotel, do let me know if you need assistance with your booking.

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Booked in on 1/7 till 11/7. Upgraded to a suite. Hotel was nice and clean friendly staff. Had a few problems our aircon unit started to drip water through ceiling so at midnight my wife and baby was moved to another room as manager Robert was concerned about safety for our baby. We was put in room 539 top floor corner room which was terribly hot and aircon was useless no way as good as our room. Baby couldn't sleep that night as it was too hot an we ended up sittin on balcony till 6am
When baby finally went asleep we got woke up at 745 am because jacuzzi was leaking and they need to fix it. Next day was put bk in to our original room was told all fixed however the very next night leak again all they done was put a tray above ceiling to stop drippin on to our floor was told they would fix again. Which they did they put a bigger tray this time above ceiling which caused a larger leak and caused me to slip over and hurt my self thankfully I wasn't holding my baby. When I reported the problem again at 1am as the leak seemed to happen in middle of night I was offered another room when I asked reception for some one to help me move cot I was told no one was around to help me so I should just stay in room which I was concerned about as our ceiling was very wet so another sleepiness night as I was worried if anything happened through the night I need to be able to react quickly to problem for my baby The next day maintenance was bk and to be fair to them they really worked on sorting out our problem and even come bk a few times to ensure we was ok. So out of 10 nights we had 3 sleepless nights when I spoke to joe another manager as compensation we could have our last 2 nights with free evening meals which I found a insult as we paid €76 per night and had 3 sleepiness nights but I really didn't have much energy to have a moan up and I felt that was a joke but we didn't go down for a free meals as juggling dinner times with baby was too hard and they obviously didn't take that In to consideration. However the air con leak was not there fault but they could have repaired the problem from my first complaint rather than bodge it over. cleaners also was very slow at 3pm our room was just started to be cleaned and that was not nice after going out for day to come bk to a room
That had not been cleaned. However the hotel was nice and it hasn't put me off returning there as it is a nice hotel nice views from rooftop pool and Robert manager was very helpful he did do his best for us. All in all was a good holiday jus a shame we had a few sleep less nights there

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ttttttony
Dear Tony,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to note that you encountered difficulties while staying with us and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced.
In your e-mail you mentioned that you will return to Malta and the hotel. I would be very happy to assist you with your bookings and take personal care of it. Please do contact me when you plan to re-visit.

In the meantime

Co.Antrim
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I have just returned from this lovely hotel, B&B basis was good for us,friendly and helpful staff, food fresh at breakfast. Locale was unusual depending on which street you used to get to the beach.
We were close to the bus terminal and used the buses regularly...we took the hop on hop off to see Valletta and the Temples of Hagar Qim...do not miss.
We missed oppurtunity to visit Medina and if returned would do so.
Our favorite seafront eating place was Oblicio in Buggiba and Rafeals in San Giljan.

Room Tip: make use of the day pass for buses to see the Island 2.60 euro for the day.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clann7
Dear Clann 7,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you found the staff friendly and helpful. In the meantime your review will be discussedwithin the management time so as to help inprove our product and services.
I do hope that you will return to Malta and to Hotel Santana. Do let us know if we can be of assistance with your booking.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We (two friends in their mid-twenties) booked a week long stay at the Santana in early July as part of a bed and breakfast package. The hotel attracts mostly older couples, with the odd family with young kids and is in a definitively 'expat' area of town - think English pubs, restaurants serving roast dinners and cheap pints. We knew this before staying and booked the hotel as a base for exploring the island, which was comparatively quiet compared to where the 'younger crowd' might traditionally go, such as St. Julian's and Valetta and as it had a rooftop pool. The hotel is clean and tidy, and the lobby well presented. Our room was fine - again clean and tidy, however the 'balcony' was not a balcony at all, being in line with the raised roof from the first floor, and a dome from below completely obscuring any sunlight or views to the street below. We weren't too bothered about this as we didn't intend to spend too much time in the hotel, so didnt mention it to staff, but be aware that not all of their balconies have any view/sunlight at all! Apart from one housemaid and two or three of the reception staff, the staff were reasonably efficient, but far from friendly in most cases. Slightly irritating was the hotel policy of only issuing one swipe card per room - difficult when I wanted to go food shopping and my friend wanted to stay by the pool.

The breakfast was passable, but slightly vexing, as with a little effort it could actually be quite good. The breakfast obviously tries to cater for absolutely everyone, with a selection of hot food (including cheese quiche?!), cereals, ham, cheese, bread, cakes (?!) and also tinned fruit and yoghurt. The boiled eggs had been boiled to within an inch of their life and were decidedly grey, the sausages were a bit like saveloys and I think probably came out of a can. Bit of a shame there was only the occasional apple as fresh fruit, as we were in the Mediterranean with watermelons, oranges, peaches etc being sold on pretty much every street corner for just a few cents. The fruit juice came out of machines and was fruit 'squash' not juice. The coffee out of the machines was dire. All in all, you get what you pay for - which honestly for the breakfast for me, was not a lot as we got a good deal - but it could be so much better with very little effort.

The rooftop pool was clean in the pool - but people often left their rubbish around it - and no staff were ever present to give the area a quick once-over. The pool bar only offered very limited hours serving food (till 4pm) and closed completely at 6pm, which was a shame as the sun terrace and pool were nice areas to be in, especially in the evening when it was a bit cooler and views over the sea were lovely. Overall the stay was average, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Request one with an actual balcony not on the 1st floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rkenyavic
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Rkenyavic,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I have noted your comments and will be sharing these with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.

Your sincerely
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,938 reviews
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!