“Great location, good spa, definitively a nice stay.”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Tortona, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,289 helpful votes
“Great location, good spa, definitively a nice stay.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I was in this Hotel by chance because what I had booked from home just arrived in Malta was fully booked ...! I was literally hijacked in this structure, which is also 4 stars.
Excellent location, 100 meters from the sea, surrounded by bars and restaurants, it the center of Bugibba.
What is certain is that calling it 4 stars is a bit 'risky judging from the rooms, I think 3 stars is more than enough.
However, it is clean, tidy and the staff is attentive to the guest.
The good side of this hotel is undoubtedly the buffet breakfast but especially the presence of a small indoor pool and a sauna room fully functional, where I could relax and I liked it very much.
The rooms were basics do not expect much, mine was on the 4th floor and the panoramic view from the balcony was not that great.
All in all it was a good stay at an affordable price.
Maybe if I had the chance I would go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Magellano81
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Magella 081,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments. I will share your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product.

In the meantime I do hope that you will soon have the opportunity to return. Do let us know if you need our assistance with your next booking.

Hotel Santana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Huskvarna, Sweden
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Recently returned from Santana with my family: I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times and in my opinion it gets better and better , friendly staff , Clean rooms, good food, varied Entertainment and in a great location near to the bus station.
I booked a special deal with Hotels.com and paid at the hotel on arrival , the room they allocated us was very small for Three adults with no access to the wadrobe, however after pointing out the problem to the staff we were quickly upgraded to a larger room with better facilities.
when we checked out they asked for Another 50 euros stating the hotel rate we was given was wrong !!! Hmmmmmmmmmm good job I kept my booking confirmation.

A very nice hotel and good value for Money.

Room Tip: Choose Superior room that have self catering facilities
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank peter c
Dear Peter C.

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments. I am please to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and really hope that you will soon have the opportunity to return.

Do let us know if you need our assistance with your next booking.

Leeds
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel (which is in Qawra) mid-morning and went straight up to the room. Then we went straight down to reception again to say we were not prepared to stay in that room. It was dark, light fittings were loose, air conditioning didn't work properly, the ceiling fan spun slowly which was probably a good thing as it wobbled a great deal. The room was so small that a sliding door was fitted between the bedroom and bathroom and it had to be coaxed with a lot of shuffling and jiggling into opening. The balcony got no sun, with a blank wall to one side and other rooms and balconies to the other side. If we leaned over the balcony the view was of the demolition site where another hotel had stood. There was paint splashed down the outside of the windows, and over the balcony. the carpet in the room looked grubby, and the beds were uncomfortable, lumpy and almost on the floor due to old metal bedframes. We were told by reception staff that as today was a "transfer day" it was not possible to change our room, but if we went back to them tomorrow morning they would see what they could do.
The following morning we went back to reception to be told the same thing, at which point we said NO we would not do this, we wanted to be moved today, did not intend to be "fobbed off" every day and the fact that they had new guests arriving was their problem not ours. At that point CAROLINE came up to the reception desk and said she would see what she could do for us. She showed us a beautiful, light and airy room at the front of the hotel on the ground floor. It really was like walking into a different hotel altogether. This room had a huge terrace with a view of the square in front of the hotel, air conditioning that worked well, two secure ceiling fans with adjustable speed settings, sparkling clean windows, and a lovely bathroom almost as big as the entire room/bathroom we were moving from. We didn't hesitate in saying yes to moving into this room, and had a very comfortable stay for the rest of our holiday.
We now realised why there were such different reviews on Trip Advisor about the hotel, because one part of it can only be described as slum dwellings, whereas the part "on show" in photos is like a 4star hotel, and we would happily stay there again so long as we had a firm guarantee of having one of these show-rooms.
We found out that the hotel management had changed "a couple of years ago" and that things had gone down since then. Whether this is correct or not, a great deal of work needs to be done to bring the entire hotel up to the 4star status that the management claims it is entitled to have. Having two swimming pools appeared more important to one manager than having habitable rooms for guests to stay in.
Once again, our thanks to Caroline for listening to our concerns, resolving them and helping to turn a disaster into the holiday we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacquie W
SunrouteSantana, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Jacquie W,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that in certain areas you experienced disappointment with our hotel. I take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience. In the meantime I assure you that these comments will be shared with the relevant managers in view of improving our product and services. We are also glad to hear that after changing your room you enjoyed your stay with us.

Best regards,

John Bugeja
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed as a family of 4 with 2 girls age 11and 9. Were a bit disappointed initially as the hotel write up stated suitable for kids with kids club, entertainment etc. However there was no kids entertainment but this did not spoil a great holiday! The kids made lots of friends in the end and loved the karaoke nights....even did backing dancing and singing for the great dj! The hotel was clean and tidy, the rooms cleaned every day, we were upgraded to a suite on arrival which was a brilliant size! Maid was lovely! The staff were lovely including Donna, Tracy, James, Craig, managers son, Shirley, Sarah the bar and cafe staff made the stay too as they were all so friendly great and helpful and couldn't do enough for us! We were all inclusive, We had some issues with food catered for the kids and the manager did all he could to resolve this! We met some lovely fellow guests and the kids made lots of friends. If I could make any suggestions it would be to make sure kids are catered for at all mealtimes either in cafe or restaurant, make all inclusive not restricted to times, and so that snacks/ice creams are included through the day as are other all inclusives and the main thing would be to cater more for family's in general with much more entertainment in the day and night. If this was made more a family hotel we would definitely return. But overall a great time was had! Thank you

• Stayed August 2013
SunrouteSantana, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Suzedd,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel and on our staff also thank you for your most favourtable comments and for recommending us.

Above all, I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and would consider returning. I hope you would soon be able to do so and promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

John Bugeja
Ampthill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had the good fortune to be able to return to Malta for a second time this year and chose this hotel as I knew it was in a good location. For those who hired a car there is a large free car park opposite, The local bus station is 200 yards away and it is handy for the bulk of the bars/restaurants/excursion folks/shops/chemist.
The reception area was spacious (they all seem to be in this part of the island) and manned by pleasant enough folks. Loads of sofas in this area being well used by some of their clientèle. I was checked in reasonably efficiently and headed off to my standard room (8 nights, B&B basis). 2 lifts to all floors from -1 to 6 generally turned up quickly enough.
The room was perfectly adequate for my needs with a pair of beds to choose from, a bathroom with a very nice walk-in shower, air conditioning, ceiling fan and a small balcony with a pair of chairs and a table. The view from the balcony won't win awards, admittedly, looking over some wasteland towards the Canifor Hotel. Still nice to sit out on though and what would you expect to see from a Qawra hotel balcony anyway. The air-conditioning (centrally controlled) did an impressive job of room cooling, so much so that I didn't have it on for very long even though it was surprisingly hot during my visit and let the ceiling fan do the job most of the time. The room was serviced each day, with fresh towels daily if desired and bedding changed every 3rd day. No problems there. One day they forgot to leave me any towels at all, but this was quickly rectified at my request.
Breakfast was good. Assorted continental options and a reasonable English breakfast option. Impressed myself by making it down three on 4 of the 6 days that doing so was a viable option. Apart from breakfast I didn't eat or drink here, way too busy out and about, so can't comment on their other meals drinks.
I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank paradise_alley
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Paradise Alley,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel, for your most favourtable comments and for recommending us.

Sales and Marketing Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

By no means could this hotel be classed as 4 star, it is more the standard of an average standard 3 star. The accommodation, although clean, is very tired, there was supposed to be tea / coffee making facilities in the room but this had to be asked for, the air conditioning was very noisy and even though this was October it was very hot and was needed. There was a ceiling fan but this was also very noisy. The food was terrible, buffet style, very limited choice, tasteless and on occasions dried up. Luckily the hotel is near to a number of very good bars and restaurants where the food is excellent and reasonably priced. We have stayed in 4 star hotels in Malta on previous occasions and this hotel did not meet their standards. No pool towels, pool bar was closed, main bar limited on choice of drinks, i.e. Only one make of gin, vodka etc. However, the hotel Staff were very friendly and helpful. We chose this hotel because of it's situation but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious but still in desperate need of upgrading. The kitchen facilities come in handy f...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear JHV4654,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that in certain areas you experienced disappointment with our hotel. I take this oppotunity to apologize for any inconvenience. In the meantime I assure you that these comments will be shared with the relevant managers in view of improving our product and services.

London, UK
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed 4 days in September. Having stayed in a standard room a few times before pre 2009, I thought it would be nice to upgrade to a Suite. I felt that this was a waste of money and was disappointing.

On arrival at early hours of the morning - desperately thirsty. Asked reception where I could get water, young man said "No-where really. Our hotel cafe is closed. You could try a bar outside" - this is not good - I was a single traveller and didn't really want to be walking the streets looking for water early hours of the morning. I informed reception on my departure that they should have water in the rooms on arrival, she said she will take this on board.

The room needs updating, a lot of wear and tear (I believe some rooms have already been refurbished). My cleaner cleaned and changed towels everyday, she was very nice. My fridge was full of water on arrival - this was dealt with straight away. The aircon didn't work very well and only slightly cooled a certain part of the room making it uncomfortable at most times. Sometimes there was a sewage smell that only lasted for a few moments. Breakfast was okay, not much fruit (funny tasting melon and oranges). There was an array of breads, cereals, cooked foods. Staff are friendly and nice. The pool area was my favourite part of the hotel - never full and always kept clean. The location of the hotel is geat. You are next door to the bus terminal which takes you all over the island.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again, unfortunately.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank AngelLondon_UK
Dear AngelLondon_UK,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments. Your review will be shared with the management team in view of improving our product and services.
In the meantime I apologise for any disappointment you have experienced and sincerly hope that you will return to our hotel in future. In that case do please e-mail me so that I will take personal care of your booking.

Sales and Marketing Manager
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!