“Quite a nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the Santana from 13th May 2014 for 2 weeks with my husband who is disabled, also dad and partner who are elderly,the downside it is not very disable friendly, stairs up to the reception, stairs up to the roof and then to the pool, which was quite hard for them to get up as the lift only goes to level 6. It seems a bit strange considering most of the guests are over 50. Apart from that we had a great time , we had 2 suites which were huge a living area, a kitchen and bedroom was lovely and bright overlooking the front of the hotel.
The bar staff, Donna, Sarah, Mandy , shirley and Scott were so friendly and helpful always smiling nothing was too much trouble, Also would like to say the restaurant staff were lovely, especially Maria.
My husband had a massage in the spa,
We hired a car for 10 days and there is a car park right opposite. There are a few bars and restaurants nearby. Overall a good holiday .

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel, rooms at the back just look over other hotels.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cookie08London
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments, especially about our staff. I will share this review with my colleagues on the management team since they all do their utmost so that our clients enjoy their stay with us.

I hope that you will soon find the time to return to Malta and to our hotel. Do let me know if you need our assistance with your booking.

In the meantime

Reviewed 30 May 2014

we arrived at the hotel and thought it looked lovely and clean in the reception and bar areas our room had a lovely view of the apartments opposite with a couple of dogs on the balcony 3rd floor up although the room was abit dated but very clean and chambermaid very good , as were the bar staff and some of the dining room staff . Food ... breakfast was very good choice and quality alas dinner was substandard dry most nights and the anti pasta not in chilled cabinet but sat out by the hot soup and hot plate for over 2 hrs ! mashed potato cottage pie not really suitable for evening meals overall more like a canteen than a 4 star dining experience. first week of our 10 night stay went reasonably well otherwise until the dreaded sunday when a coach load of children arrived and terrorised the guests and staff with little or no supervision from their tutors , unfortunately we were surrounded above and surrounding rooms to ,ours constant complaints from guests didn't seem to appease the situation one poor guest was moved at 3am to another room and told by one of the tutors if she didn't like it she could move to another hotel ! we felt like it could of been a school dormitory rather than a hotel and reception said it was being sorted ... 3 hrs later still continuing ... would we return probably not shame as malta a very lovely place to visit , now feel I need another holiday to recover

Room Tip: a suite better views than a standard room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ANNETTE S

Dear Annette S.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our hotel, the staff and the breakfast.
Your review will be shared with my colleagues on the management team i view of further improving our product and the services we provide.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hotel was clean,food great nothing was too much trouble .The staff was very friendly will be dack in january next year have told all our friends. The hotel is in a great location for the buses and shops and restaurants

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2,342,014
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Grimsby,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience and for your mist favourable comments about Hotel Santana. I am also very pleased to note that you will be returning to our hotel in January next year. Do let me know if you need assistance with your booking. My e-mail is carmen.zammit@sunroutehotels.com
I will also share your review with my colleagues on the management team and with our staff because each if us does his/ her best to ensure 100% guest satisfaction.

In the meantime

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff at this Hotel were wonderful, particularly in the Dining Room. but the accomodation itself left a lot to be desired. It is very tired, and we could not manage to keep the bedding on our beds, so ended up sleeping on the matress. Not very hygenic!! We had to call the maintenance men out three times to get power in our room, in the end they left a card in the slot.
The room itself was large with a balcony overlooking a building site.
The food weeks 1 was very good, then the chef changed and it really was very poor the second week. Having said all this, it is far superior to the Bella Vista.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bonesarsenal

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our staff. I will ensure that these comments are passed to them.
I regret to note that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us, especially since we always strive to achieve 100% guest satisfaction. I take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and promise to share your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.
At the same time, for the benefit of those reading this review, may I point out that there are no building works going on in the vicinity of the hotel.
I do hope that you will soon return to Malta and will again visit our hotel and I promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having read the recent negative reviews, I would like to comment that we have just returned after 10 nights and found this hotel to offer fantastic value for money.

We booked via an online internet booking agent who seemed to offer an exceptional late deal for B&B.

We stayed in a standard room on the 6th floor which had a small balcony – as we were on the 6th floor, it was high enough to offer a view of the med as well as the rooftops of other surrounding hotels/apartments.

The room was spacious with what seemed to be a new bathroom with walk in shower. Bed linen was changed every other day and towels daily. I agree with other reviews that towels/linen did not appear to be new but they were clean. There was a TV in the room which offered both SKY news and BBC entertainment channels. 2 power sockets available, one with a UK 3 pin plug and the other with a standard European, which we used with a normal travel adaptor. Both aircon and a fan available in the room.

We were only B&B, and each day there were issues with items not being replenished, but the staff were friendly enough and when asked they arranged for items to be replaced.

The rooftop pool is sparkling clean, and in summer months will prove popular. Sun loungers aplenty both by the pool and on the rooftop terrace by the rooftop café/bar.

There is a small café/coffee shop just off reception which we found to be good value for money for lunchtime snacks.

Plenty of free parking opposite the hotel, which was the main reason we chose the hotel, as we hire a car.

Wifi available for E5 for 600 mins and speed in reception/bar/pool areas is strong and fast.

Overall – we had a great stay, and found this to offer exceptional value for money. If you want 5* luxury then pay the price for 5* BUT don’t grumble at what you get for the money from the Santana…

Room Tip: Ask for high floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SJBerkshire
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear SJ Berkshire,

Thank you for the time taken to write a comprehensive review about our hotel and for sharing your experience at Hotel Santana with other reviewers on TripAdvisor. I am happy to note that you enjoyed our stay with us and found our hotel to be exceptional value for money. Ensuring 100% guest satisfaction is what we always strive for.
I also noted your comment about the replenishment of food at breakfast and will discuss this matter with our Chef in view of improving the service.
Once again thank you for your most favourable comments and for recommending our hotel. I do hope you will soon be able to return to Malta and to our hotel and promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The ministry of tourism made a mistake! The Santana got 4 stars from them, while actually it is a 2 star hotel. May be the public areas are 4 stars but rooms are much less. Every day we had to fight the flood in the open shower (no door, no curtain). For 2 days the air-condition didn't work. No electric plug converters in the reception. Extra pay for Hi-Fi, in the 21 century. Terrible view from the balcony- a field of dry, wild "vegetation". Only 1 electricity outlet in the room (considering the fact we had 2 cellular phones, 2 cameras, one tablet. it was difficult to maneuver). Location in St. Paul is quite a far away from Valetta - more than 1 hour by the public bus.
Hotel staff is friendly, and try to be helpful - under the above limitations. Breakfast is rich and reasonable.

Room Tip: Take a room to the front to avoid the "shabby" view of the rear!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
SunrouteSantana, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Gioram,

Whilst thanking you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor, I regret to note that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I take this opportunity to apologize for any shortcomings from our end and offer you my assistance in case you have any points you wish to discuss. My address is carmen.zammit@sunroutehotels.com
I also thank you for your favourable comments concerning breakfast at our hotel.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

6.96 euros per day or part of for tv in room shows level of service. I should have known better when their reply to my email question about towels was answered with a token "we will get back to you". I asked for a south facing room but was given a north facing room, pretty small. When I asked about safe in room with my money in hand, I was told it was all in the room. As I had the money there in my hand ready to pay, I took this to mean it was coin in the slot but no, I had to go to room again to check it was a key to rent at 1.15 euros a night and spell it out to sullen staff that I actually wanted the key. Also told no south facing room available. Food that night was awful. Tasteless lukewarm plasticy. Could not eat it so had to go out to eat after complaining to manager. Next morning, as I returned from reporting that the toilet would not flush, we got a phone call to say we could have a south facing room so moved. At least the manager listened. Food improved slightly or was it that we learned what to eat and what to avoid. British staff pleasant and friendly. Maltese sullen. Never saw a smile amongst them but that seemed the norm for Malta.
Entertainment was ok on the 4 out of 7 nights we were there. Difficult to read in room because lighting so poor. Waited for outside lighting to come on so we could read Fridge went off when we left the room but this is common to lots of hotels. I do not switch my fridge off at home when I go out. Air conditioning, such as it was, controlled centrally, switched off if any door was opened and had to be switched on again. That was only the fan to the room. I do not think it ever got cold.
Bathroom floor had to be mopped up with towel every time we had a shower because the shower base was not fitted properly.
Swimming pool on roof cold. Sunbathing difficult because very little protection from wind. No wind breaks, just wall about 3 ft high. Indoor pool cold with jacuzi at same temp.
Rooms clean and housekeeping staff friendly and helpful. Very handy for bus station.
Could win free 3 day stay for filling in house questionnaire but did not bother because we would not stay again even if it was free.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank He_of_the_shiny_head
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear reviewer,

Whilst I wish to thank you for the time taken to write the above review, I regret to note that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
We strive to ensure 100% guest satisfaction and we would like to apologize for any shortcomings from our end. However for your benefit and the benefit of those reading this review, I would like to clarify some points mentioned above.
I would like to stress out the point that our LCD TVs found in all rooms with 12 channels are completely free of charge. However, should a guest want to have other channels listed in the pay TV section, a small charge would apply.
Rooms are allocated depending on availability. In many cases we do manage to accommodate a guests’ request, however in some cases where the hotel is operating at a high occupancy rate, such requests are not possible to accommodate. However I am pleased to hear that as soon as a south facing room was available, we did give you one.
I am sorry to hear about the misunderstanding you encountered when speaking to one of our receptionists with regards to the safe in the rooms. All rooms are equipped with a safe which is against a small supplement which has to be paid at our front office.
As I am sure you will agree, food is a matter of taste and what pleases one guest might not please another. For this reason our buffet counter offers ample choice for all guests coming from different countries and cultures. In fact on our buffet counter one finds dishes ranging from Oriental noodles to local dishes.
Finally, I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our members of staff. I will make sure that these comments are passed on to their respective Head of departments since they always do their best to ensure that all of our guests leave the hotel with a smile on their face.
Whilst I wish to apologize once again for not having met your expectations throughout your stay, please feel free to contact me directly on carmen.zammit@sunroutehotels.com for further details.

Kind regards

Salini Resort
Salini Resort
#1 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!