“It's all OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London
“It's all OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a four star hotel but it's a bit shabby. I enjoyed my stay here though. I only had the breakfast which was fine (really good porridge though) pretty standard stuff.
My room was OK and it was nice and quiet.
It has a roof top pool which gets a nice breeze but I didn't spend much time up there – it's a good place to hang out in your last few hours before you leave.
It's close to the bus station and the local beach and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Reasonably inexpensive and exactly what I was expecting for the money. I'd stay here again if I was ever in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mapka
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments. I will be sharing your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product.
In the meantime I am also pleased to note that you will be returning to Malta and to our hotel in the near future and offer you our assistance with any future booking you may have.

Hotel Santana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

weve just come back from the santana hotel, we love this hotel,its a bit tired, but clean,and excellent value for money,every person cannot do enough to help,polite,friendly and nothings to much trouble the foods very good,and theres always lots of choices,the santana is a very good place for everything,we would not go to any other hotel other than the santana,thankyou for making our stay enjoyable,cant wait to come back,give this place a try,you wont be dissapointed,

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank derran1
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel o TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments about the cleanliness of our hotel, our polite and friendly staff and that we offer good value for money. I am happy to note that you will return to our hotel in the near future and take the opportunity to offer you our assistance for any future booking.

Marton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here on a short trip to visit daughter and our Maltese friends. We were impressed with our room (we had booked a standard one), which appeared to have been recently refurbished, and surprised to find it had an additional room with a single bed along with a dining table and 2 chairs, in addition to the main room which had the double (2 singles together) bed. There was also a small refrigerator which was handy for keeping our drinks cool. There were AC vents in both rooms and with the addition of a ceiling fan we had no problem with room temperature. The shower was perfect, bath looked new and no sign of mould in the bathroom and always supplied with soft, white towels that appeared to be almost new; always had a spare toilet roll available; shower gel, shampoo and soap provided and kept replenished. Beds comfortable, clean bedding (ours were changed during our 4 day stay) although they could have been a size larger as they did tend to 'ride up' from the mattress. TV had BBC entertainment and Sky news channels, as well as other language channels and also some Pay per view ones. The two rooms had access to a long balcony with a plastic table and two chairs, although it was at the rear of the hotel and looked out to other buildings. We were on B&B so did not have the evening meal, but the breakfast had plenty of nice food available. fried,boiled and scrambled egg,bacon sausage,grilled tomato,baked beans etc as well as cold meats and cheese; cereals, fruit, yoghurt etc. The toaster did cause a 'bottleneck' but this should be solved once an additional one is provided. I would have given an excellent rating but for our last breakfast there; we got to the entrance of the dining room and a young couple were being given a talk through of all the food available (maybe for the weekly BBQ?) by the staff member on door duty, I told the staff member my room number and showed my key card, whereupon she told me to wait and shoved a leaflet in my hand for the BBQ and continued her speech, after a group of 3 other people walked past into the dining room I decided to follow along with my wife when the staff member demanded my room number, which I had already given! During my breakfast that morning, I pulled out of my mouth a 2" long piece of white plastic (similar to a yoghurt carton pot material), I gave it to the chap who I assumed to be the restaurant manager and told him that I was chewing bread and fried egg at the time,he went away presumably, to find how the plastic got into the food,I didn't have any comeback prior to leaving that evening (we had booked an extra day due to having a late flight return, rather than chance asking for late checkout; we do this whenever we have a late return flight). The staff (with the exception of the one on dining room door duty that morning) were very cheerful, friendly and hard working. We will return to the Santana when we revisit Malta again later this year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raymond B
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Raymond B.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel in such detail and for your most favourable comments.
The issues concerning the sheets and an additional toaster are being addressed and all will be in place shortly.
I apologize for the incident at breakfast and would remark that our operations manager assures me that the dish containing the yogurt in which the piece of white plastic was found was immediately removed and replaced as soon as you drew the attention of our management.
I am very pleased to note that you will be returning to the Santana in the near future and promise you our availability to assist you with your booking.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just returned after a week in Malta, weather fantastic, Malta is a beautiful place but Hotel Santan didnt live up to its 4 Star. We stayed in room 435 which was really dated and it could have done with a lick of paint. I asked for a queen size double bed, this was two single beds pushed together which kept drifting apart. Also the bed linen was too small for the bed and ended up off most of the time. The air condiitoning was controled by the hotel and so could not adjust the temperature, the heat in the room was at times unbearable. When we arrived we complained about the balcony door being broken and would not lock, this was reported but never fixed. The receptionist was baffled when we said it wouldnt lock. The shower was useless, it was just a trickle and we had to have a bath, which in the heat was not ideal. On a couple of days the water run brown with lots of dirt in, not nice to bathe in. We had a safe but had to pay to use it, which I find in this day and out very out dated. The hotel was cleaned every day but our balcony was always full of dust and the chairs very dirty. Outside of our room was a fire extinguisher which to me looked like it had been there for years and never changed, it was actually broken the pipe not attached the cylinder. Breakfast was nice but very chaotic, never any cups or glasses and with one toaster you were there forever. I have noted a lot of what I have said on here other people have also said and the owner has stated these issues were being resolved, they dont seem to have been. The hotel is ideally situated for public transport and there are lots of bars around there, but I dont this I would chose this hotel again. The pool on the roof was great with lovely views.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 53Gibson01
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us and take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience experienced at our hotel.
In the meantime I will be sharing your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services, However, let me assure those reading this review that the air-condition is on at all times in public areas and in the rooms it is on throughout most of the afternoon and the night. Moreover, fire extinguishers are serviced regularly to ensure that they are in perfect condition. Apart from this, I am also pleased to say that the crockery and glassware issue has been fully addressed and that the recently bought glassware and crockery is now in place in our restaurant

Brigg, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the period 6 - 19 June 2014. This was the third time we have stayed but unfortunately was the worst. The staff were all very helpful and polite but in areas seemed to be lacking in numbers. This was most evident during breakfast. On three occasions I had to try and find a member of staff to ask for a table to be cleared before we could have breakfast. This did not happen in previous years. We were allocated the same room as last year. It was like the room had stood still in time. the same ill-fitting dirty old fridge was still there (probably with the same build up of ice in the door less icebox).The room is in desperate need of refurbishment. My comment from last year about providing a pay as you use printer alongside the computers in the reception area was not provided but we were told that we can now use the printer in reception. Our final nail in the coffin was when I requested a two hour extension from 1100 - 1300 hrs before booking out for which we were turned down, very very disappointing. We were not due to be picked up from the hotel until 1400 hrs. Considering the room wasn't required until after 1400 hrs I could not understand why we were not granted this request. So the question is would I stay at this hotel again - unfortunately the answer has to be - NO .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Clients,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and, above all, for your repeat custom to our hotel.

We note that in your previous review you rated the hotel with a 5/5 score and that regrettably you now found cause to rate the hotel with a 3/5 score, thus expressing your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay with us. While we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, we would kindly ask you to e-mail us on carmen.zammit@sunroutehotels.com with your name and room number so that we would be able to investigate this matter fully and ensure that all issues mentioned in this review are resolved immediately. We would then also be able to answer you personally with our feedback.

Craigavon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We ended up staying in this hotel after changing to it once we discovered that the San Antonio had ongoing building work. This was a 4* hotel so we were disappointed with the evening meal. There was only one choice of meat and vegetable. There were queues at the breakfast also with only one toaster for everyone. The chef was under pressure toom attempting to prepare the hot food and seem to be attempting to cook it in the kitchen too. Staff were helpful but seems to be under alot of pressure and too few for the number of people staying. Apart from that hotel was ok.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paula M
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Paula M.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that you were disappointed with our evening meal and take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. At the same time, for the benefit of those reading this reply, may I confirm that buffet dinner at our hotel consists of the soup of the day, various antipasti and salads, a choice of two pasta/ rice dishes, a choice of meat, poultry and fish, vegetables and potatoes, a carvery dish, various tarts and gateaux as well as ice cream and fruit salad, cheese and crackers.
With regards to the toaster at breakfast, I am pleased to note that we are currently waiting for the second toaster which should be delivered in the coming days.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location. Very close to the sea, shops, bus station, square etc .
I found the staff at reception quite friendly but not very knowledgeable of the surroundings areas. They didn't know the best places to go or what current local events were taking place.
Also the most frustrating part was the jacuzzi. We were so excited About using it during or stay but we never did because it didn't work. We continually went back to reception without any success. We gave up asking.
On the roof of the hotel is a beautiful sun lounge and outdoor pool. The views are spectacular and on a hot summers day it is the place to hang out for a few hours. Warning: the pool isn't heated.. Good luck. :)
Breakfast is quite good. There is a mixture of English & continental feat cold meats, pastries/cakes, teas & cereal.
All in all we would stay here again. It is a nice place and good location and I'm just being picky. :))

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank charma_007
Dear Charma 007,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our friendly staff and about our breakfast.
With regards to the whirlpool in the indoor pool, I could find no record of any malfunction. When such incidents are reported, our duty technician immediately resets the switch and the whirlpool would again function normally.
I note with pleasure that you would stay again at our hotel and hope that you will soon have the opportunity to return to Malta and to our hotel in the near future. In that case do let me know so that we would help you in any way you need with your reservation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,564 reviews
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!