“Good hotel”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel we were moved here because of over booking by travel company , food good , pool lovely , rooms good but we moved back to other hotel purely because we were staying there meeting friends , only complaint about hotel is at night the entertainment is out the front along main road no were for kids and a few ignorant guests were telling kids which were being well behaved to be quiet , but would stay here again but would say it's more 3 star than 4 !

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Carolinederry
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for you favourable comments.

I will share your comments concerning the entertainment with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product.

In the meantime I hope that you will soon be able to return to Malta and to our hotel and promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

It's tough to know where to begin. We arrived at this hotel on Monday, midday, to spend 5 days exploring and enjoying Malta. As we arrived early at 1230, there was no room ready for us. The staff were not welcoming or helpful. Just no room until 2 - maybe. We should check back. So we asked if they could store our luggage and they gave us a key. We stored our bags and left the hotel to find some lunch. The good news is that we found a great Chinese spot across from the hotel called xiao xiao. The food was very inexpensive, served tremendous portions and had really friendly and helpful staff. We visited them more than once. :)
We returned to the hotel at 2. We approached the desk to see if our room was ready, and they said to hold on. So we sat in the foyer (thank god it was air conditioned) waiting. We watched 3 people get served off of the street before us, so we went back to the desk and asked if the room was ready. Now the room was ready. They gave us the room number and we collected our luggage and went up to it.
We had booked a room for 3 adults. We got a queen bed and a cot. The room was sweltering (30+ degree according to the gauge on my watch). There is no temperature control for individual rooms - 'it is on a timer' is the line the hotel staff uses for everything. I thought we should give the hotel the benefit of the doubt - it is listed as a 4 star!! - and see if the room would cool down. That night was unbearable. It was too hot to sleep. I went down to the front desk and said that the heat in the room was out of control and that we were having difficulty sleeping. The man at the desk laughed at me. Then I was told that the a/c was on a timer and I should wait for the room to cool. I said I'd let them know in the morning what the temperature was like. Well, no one needed to make up the beds as we all slept on top of the blankets. It was terrible. I went to the desk and reported my concern to a young lady. She took down the room number and said that the maintenance people would look at it. I accepted this.
We went to the closest 'beach' - which had no sand so I'm not sure how it qualifies as a beach - and discovered that it was a tiny bit of sand and a rocky water entry, so we went back to the hotel. We decided to try out the rooftop pool. This is the only 4 star quality that I could find in the hotel at this point. The pool was lovely and there were plenty of sun beds. The indoor pool and tub were also very nice.
When we returned to the room at around 5 pm, the maintenance people had been and they decreed the a/c had been fixed. The room still felt humid, but perhaps less warm than the day before so I left it. That night was horrible again. 30+ degree heat in the room. I called in the front desk to help. A gentleman accompanied me to the room and reset the system he agreed that it was warm but assured me that the reset was the cure. He also informed me that the a/c was set on a timer and at 23-24 degrees. I asked if this was normal and he said yes. I'm thinking that a/c is supposedto cool people after being in 25 degree heat...so I'm not quite sure where the thinking is here?? The next morning I went to the front desk and said that the a/c problem had not been solved. I wanted someone from the font desk to accompany me to the room to see just how hot it was. The vent was blowing out Luke warm air. The young man I spoke with started another maintenance form. I said 'we have done that - it is still not working'. He asked me to wait moment and a lady came out. She told me again about the timer for the a/c. I said that she should come to my room, as the a/c had been on for hours and tell me if this was normal. She asked me to wait and the a new man came out. He introduced himself as the operations manager when I asked why he was the third person I was speaking to in the span of 3 mins. He offered to change our room. I accepted with the condition that it was cooled properly. He said it would be fine. We were moved from the tiny sauna to a self catering suite. The a/c vent was about 3 times the size - and it actually blew COLD AIR! Hallelujah! So my issue is that my room was visited 2 separate times by 2 different people over 2 days and they let us stay in the sweltering heat when they knew very well the system was not working properly. That, or all of the tiny rooms are like that and they wait for people to complain before doing anything about it. They must have told me 100 times about a timer - like I had never experienced air conditioning before and somehow a magic timer was the illusion of heat. Horrible.
From that point, the room was fine. Our final three nights were ok. We used the rooftop pool daily and the indoor tub and life was good. That was until I needed some internet help from the front desk. The hotel internet is pay as you go. 4 star pay as you go internet?! Ridiculous. It's 2014 not 1999. And IT IS NOT common practice at all malta hotels as the db San Antonio gave us free internet any time. The pay as you go internet is not reliable, so we asked for a code for the lobby computers. We paid and were given a code. The code didn't work. I went back to the desk and told the man (same silly little man who laughed at me about the a/c on the first night) that it was not working. He huffed and took the slip from my hand and gave me my money back. I asked him why he had given me the money back? I needed his help to see if he could fix it. He said no 'I'm not an internet technician'. I was now angry. I was trying to book our transport to the airport and needed the internet to do it. I said that I remembered him from a previous night and that he didn't help me then either - and that it took the operations manager to help. He rolled his eyes at me and picked up the phone. When i asked who he was calling while I was speaking to him he shouted 'the operations manager - you think he can help you!?' He got off of the phone and said that the manager said the lobby computers were not working, had not been working all day just had he had already explained. I told him that he never said they hadn't been working all day - he is the one who sold us the code in the first place! I said if he had known why did he sell us the code. He said he thought it had been fixed. So I asked why didn't you tell me when I came back that it hadn't been working all day as the reason he was giving the money back. Obviously he had no idea - and was too embarrassed to say so. Communications breakdown was clear on the hotels end. I told him that his attitude was horrible and that he was very rude and unhelpful. I said he should not be in a position to serve people. He told me I was rude and difficult. Haha. Although completely inappropriate for a staff member to say, he was right in that moment. I had enough of him. So I left.
Oh yeah, the breakfast was gross, too.

Cracking hot rooms - £200. Leading me down the garden path about air conditioning and timers -£100. Knowing full well that my room was no where near the standard and keeping us in it - £150. Rude, incompetent and unhelpful staff member - £ 250. Being called rude in a place I am paying to stay - priceless. For everything else, stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jeremy H

Dear Jeremy H.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I regret to note that you were disappointed about your recent stay with us and take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you allegedly experienced.
However, may I point out that whereas we do try to accommodate clients who arrive at the hotel before check-in time, our official check-in time is at 14.00 hrs.
Concerning the air-condition, may I also remark that all public areas are fully air-conditioned during their times of operation. The air-condition in the rooms is centrally controlled but is on during the afternoon and night.
With regards to the Wi-Fi may I respectfully remark that it is the normal practice for 4 and 3 star hotels in Malta to charge for Wi-Fi. Nevertheless, the charge is minimal, at only €5.00 for 10 hours.
Once again I apologize for any inconvenience you claim to have experienced.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hotel staff charming and very helpful. Good facilities, roof pool, basement gym & pool, bar and restaurants, reading lounge, etc., Our room was very clean with a fridge, two balconies, and a good view. Maid service, new towels daily. Breakfast only average. Hotel in a very central location in Qawra, close to bus terminal, restaurants, pubs, shops, and sea, yet also relaxingly quiet with none of the hustle & bustle noise associated with these facilities. As seems to be custom in Malta, wifi, tea/coffee making facilities, and room safe, are all chargeable extras

Room Tip: Some 5th floor rooms are located under the air conditioning units, which switch on at 7am.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael S
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Michael S.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for your most favourable comments. I am happy to note that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will soon have the opportunity to retunr. Do let me know if you need assistance with any future booking.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Well just back from a 14 night stay at the Santana, Reception staff was very friendly on arrival and was soon sorted and off to my room.When i got to the room it was very clean and well set out also a bottle of wine and a bowl of fruit,Nice touch i thought,
Breakfast is still not great, plates on the small side,need to que for tea,then toast when you get back to your table with your food tea and toast are cold,so only that one gripe,the rest of the stay was just great all week the staff were freindly and always willing to help nothing was too much trouble,Which is a big plus for me after some of the hotels ive stayed in where the staff just didn't want to know or were just not intrested,
Housekeeping was done everyday clean towels if needed and agaain the houskeeping staff were also very friendly and very good at the job they had to do.i had a problem with the electrics in my room and it was sorted straight away with no fuss or bother.
i think the upper deck where the pool is could be made better use of for guest entertainment on an evening i went to another hotel with some friends most nights where the entertainment was much better but would have liked to have had the option of staying at the santana if entertainment had have been better.
So another good stay at the Santana and looking forward to staying there again in December.Try it folks ime sure you wont be dissapointed its taken me a few visits and a lot of hotels to find one that i could highly recommend to other travellers stayed at this place now 4 times and it wont be the last.
Thanks to all the staff for a very pleasent stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank pilot044
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Pilot 044,

Thank you for your repeat custom, for your detailed review of our Hotel on TripAdvisor, for your favourable comments about our hotel and our staff and for recommending our hotel.
I will also share your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of continuing to improve our product and services.
In the meantime I hope that you will soon find the opportunity to return to Malta and to our Hotel and promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was nice, clean and comfortable for price. However, simple things such as wifi, tea/coffee making facilities in room, and room-safe were all chargeable extras (wifi was even charged by the hour, and only accessible in lobby). This is not a budget hotel & we felt it was outrageous to be charged for these things.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Manda H

Dear Manda H.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you found Hotel Santana to be nice, clean and comfortable.

With regards to Wi-Fi, tea and Coffee Making facilities in the room and safe at a charge, all this is correctly advertised in our web-site and on the advice we give to operators selling our property. Apart from that, it is the normal practice of most 4-Star hotels in Malta to charge for such services.

I do hope that you will soon be able to return to Malta and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was our first visit to Malta so did not know what to expect.
The hotel is advertised as four star . It was is my eyes no more than two star. The hotel staff were lovely and very helpful at all times but the hotel itself is tired and in need of a refurb. Beware that there are additional charges for wifi and room safe.
The room was spotlessly clean and towels were changed every day. The breakfast was the best thing the hotel had to offer and was really nice with everything you could ask for.
The hotel is two minutes walk from most things including the sea , shops and restaurants and also the local bus depot for exploring the island.

Room Tip: We had a superior room which was a bit bigger with a seating area which was useful
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue5923
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Sue 5923,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you found the staff lovely and helpful, the room clean, the breakfast good and the location of the hotel good.
With regards to refurbishment, our hotel is subject to a rigorous, ongoing, maintenance programme, which ensure that our rooms and public areas are up to standard.
With regards to Wi-Fi and use of safe being at a charge, this is normal practice for most of the hotels in Malta.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the last 10 years and although pretty consistant good quality I still think it does not excel in all areas. This visit was just the two of us without kids and on half-board basis but we only had breakfast three times and dinner twice chosing to go elsewhere and pay instead. The dining room is dim and not comfortable for a lounging great dining experience, instead of having a few drinks and taking time you tend to rush the mediocre food and get out. Here's some food for thought for the Management (excuse the pun): assuming most folk like to lounge around and enjoy the evening meal over a few drinks why not harness those guests and use the Cashmere Room and the surrounding terrace for the dining area? I know this may be a smaller area but it is well served from the service lift and means guest have a outside or roof-top room to dine in rather than a basement. You may want to have booking times for dinner so this staggers the service, this also means guest may while the time in the bar before their dining time and allows you to have dishes presented fresher rather than a a joint of beef sitting under the lightes for ages waiting for passing diners. Keep the basement dining room for breakfast or turn it into a Gym assuming the indoor pool is going to open. (PS, when we did have the kids with us the Games Room next to the dining room was useful for entertaining them whilst we had a pre/post dinner drink. With this also not in action anymore again the potential is lost.) Let us know and we'll pop back again another time, see ya x

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TADJ,

Thank you for your repeat custom to Hotel Santana and for reviewing our hotel.
I will share your suggestions with my colleagues on the management team. However, for the benefit of those reading this review, may I point our that at Hotel Santana we offer a main restaurant which serves buffet breakfast and buffet dinner, an a la carte restaurant and a cafe/ eatery. Apart from this, in the Summer months we also organize weekly BBQs on Friday Evening on our terraces.

I hope that you will soon return to Malta and that you will again choose to stay at Hotel Santana. Do let us know if we can help you with your reservati9on.

Best regards from Malta

db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!