“The Primera Hotel, Bugibba, Malta.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Primera Hotel

Primera Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Limerick
“The Primera Hotel, Bugibba, Malta.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Primera is a clean hotel.
Prior to my trip, I checked trip-advisor for info on the hotel. I can now correct some review errors.
Before travelling, I emailed the hotel on foot of a blatantly negative review.
I was reassured by the hotel that the rooms and bathrooms were spotless.
I can confirm I found the room and bathroom spotlessly clean on arrival. I stayed second week in May, 2014.
I found the roof top pool in a very clean and well maintained condition contrary to what I'd viewed and read here.
The Primera is a very clean hotel. Have no worries there.
Maintenance seems to be worked on a manána-style schedule while any heavy, noisy maintenance is carried out from cock-shout so no sleep-ins for that week.
We had a bedside night light that blew on the Thursday night of our brief stay. It still had not been fixed when we left three days later - Manána.
The bathroom was spotlessly clean and, for such an old hotel that's good. However, the day before we left, the WC leaked during the night, flooding the floor. The hotel's Mañana maintenance crew have doubtless seen to it by now.
The staff on the desk are very good at dealing with queries, they speak good english and are very helpful in all matters relevant to tourists.
Do leave your room key at the desk when you leave to explore for the day as that key is the only key available to the cleaning women who won't be able to get in to clean your room if you keep the room key in your pocket.
The hotel do let you decide on that.
The hotel is inexpensive and you do get exactly what you pay for. It was just what we needed, room only, no breakfast and the kettle in the room for seven nights cost just €9 extra.
Not twenty yards down the road, all day english breakfasts available in three street-front restaurants from 8.00am.
Other guests during our stay were agreed that the hotel brought to mind for them Basil Faulty's 'Faulty Towers' and that is entirely down to the Manána maintenance crew's disconnect.
For a place to sleep for a few hours and as a base to get your bearings, the Primera is every bit as good as any cheap hotel anywhere but the Primera hotel desk staff are definitely it's best asset.

Room Tip: Top floor is noisy, but that's not so bad. It really is easy on the pocket so let that be your f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank frank o

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in November when it was very quiet in Malta. The Hotel is a low cost budget hotel so you get what you pay for. The hotel was very empty with only a few guests staying here & the receptionist did tell us they where closing soon for winter & a refurbishment. Everything was in working order (lifts/shower/tv) & the room was cleaned daily. We could pick up free WIFI from our room. The roof top pool gets the sun all day, an added bonus was that no other guests were using the pool so we had the area to ourselves.

We booked on a bed + breakfast basis but only had breakfast 1 day out of 7 as it was very basic but there are lots of places nearby serving breakfast. I personally recommend "Grannys" its €2:95 for a full fry/breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee.

The Primera is located in an ideal position with just a minutes walk to Bugibba Square, the seafront, bars & restaurant.

Would I stay here again? Definately... but only in the off peak season. I imagine it would be very noisy in the summer months.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Michelle R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I think with the Primera you must remember what you have paid...
Plus points - excellent maid service daily, decent shower, quiet rooms when considering the location and plenty of sun beds.
Down side - the beds felt like they had survived both world wars, the aircon just made a rumbling noise but didnt produce hot or cold air and the toilet didnt flush....
I could go on about the light fixtures being removed so it resembled the black hole of Calcutta... I won't.
On the hole, it was fine, we should of paid more and gone somewhere a little less basic... Call me old fashioned but I prefer to not have springs poking me all night and I do like somw natural light, not to mention a working loo....

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Rachel M
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

just got back. I have stayed at this hotel a few times but never again. took over 3 hours to get into room. had booked a twin with balcony and got a single with an extra bed and a cut down headboard. the single balcony had 2 chairs but you could not sit there as there was no room. had no electric, only lights, after 3 complaints still not fixed when I left. the shower curtain was too short so that the floor flooded when you got a shower. the heater/air con did not work. no shelf in bathroom just one bracket on mirror. at mealtimes the reception stunk of old cabbage. the staff did not want to know and the manager was never available. if you stay her don't bother complaining as no one will listen. never again. have been going for 12yrs and this is the worst experience.

Room Tip: check reviews thoroughly before booking. don't go on past stays as I did, a change of management...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill O

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Glesga, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

A very good budget hotel in a good location. It is kept clean and with friendly staff on hand. Breakfast was quite good But dont touch the evening meal, it is not very good, It is better to eat in one of the many restaurants that are close to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hotel, rooms, breakfast is good, but at Primera hotel is working the best hotel employee Mr. Nandor Stemler. Thank you very much for your help and care. You made our holidays in Malta nice and unforgettable. Best regards from Lithuania and thank you once again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler11339
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had the misfortune of booking this hotel, blind, in May 13, I stayed for 7 nights half board. The food was in edible and I chose to eat out for every meal. How a chef could put that muck up on a hot plate is beyond me. On the taxi ridgeback to the airport I lost my I phone, I emailed the tour operator upon my return, to no avail not even a reply. A very sad end to what isa great island. I am returning to Malta next month, this time I am going all inclusive.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
#3 of 13 in Bugibba
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#5 of 16 in Qawra

Been to Primera Hotel? Share your experiences!