“Fantastic Holiday, Fantastic Hotel”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 weeks from 15th December to 5th January, studio number 616 which overlooked the Bay and surrounding countryside. Studio was brilliant everything in it perfect, nice bathroom, comfy beds and little kitchen with all things needed for self catering and a little table and chairs. The weather was brilliant so much better than I hoped for and almost everyday we tucked ourselves out of the wind (when it was around which wasnt everyday) and we sunbathed by the pool which was clean but cold so we didnt swim there.. We have both come home looking like we went to the Carribean. My husband used the gym and we both went to the indoor pool which was clean and very relaxing. Cant comment about the restaurant in the hotel and we didnt use it, but the surrounding restaurants were all excellent especially "Sammys Tavern" and "The Pit Stop". The location of the hotel is lovely with excellent views and the bus stops are only 3 mins away with a daysaver ticked at 2.60 euros meant that you can explore the Island very cheaply which is what we did.
After reading some bad reviews of the hotel I really think these people must have been to another Hotel, the only thing that I could find fault with was the lighting in the kitchen was poor but certainly not enough to complain about. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and would absolutely defintely return.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bay get the sun all day long.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fran070
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed 7th to 15th dec 2012 in room 401. well spaced out rooms ,beds a bid hard,stay was self catering ate out most nights ,but enjoyed 3 course meal in hotel restaurant at 12 euros good value but bar and restaurant too cold for comfort,complained to Alexis who fixed the problem the next day. No hot drinks or hot food during the day which,due to time of year needs to be looked at .
Staff were always helpful and room cleaned every day,other cafes nearby good if you have no car and bus service good to main towns at cheap fares.
We have been coming to Porto Azzurro for over 10 years now and in the past the restaurant has been very poor and we have not used it but.I understand that the Hotel have now taken over instead of leasing it out,this has certainly improved on the meals we had.

Alan and Pam

Room Tip: Rooms facing Pool from 4th Floor are best
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank alan r
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We visit Malta twice a year normally in the low season for a bit of peace and quiet which without exception we find at Porto Azzurro.Alexis sorts out our booking for us and we find her friendly and efficient.All the staff are equally helpful.We enjoy self-catering and find the apartments suitably equipped for our needs. In fact, if there is anything not in the apartment you ownly have to ask for it to be provided.The public areas are bright and welcoming and the bar is well stocked. Any noise from the bar did not reach the apartments so our peace was not spoiled. I also found the surrounding area very much to my taste with opportunity for walking, both rural and urban, easy or strenuous with much Roman and prehistory in the area.We have already booked our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Eric T
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We love Malta and had the offer of a very cheap week last year.
When we didn't pay alot our expectations were low. But we'd always expect our accomodation to be clean. Porto Azzurro looked ok in the photos but the pool was empty, and much of the resort was looking pretty run down. We were told that the hotel was being refurb'd, but I didn't see much sign of this.
Our bedding stank, there was black mould on the ceiling, one of the sockets were taped up with a band aid. Our TV had one english channel. (No great shakes).
We went early in the season and although there was plenty to do in other places like St.Julianns, Selima, etc. Xemxija Bay was pretty much shut.
For health reasons don't try the jaccuzzi in the indoor pool area, it looked a bit soup'y.
We put up with Porto Azzurro for 24 hrs and then found somewhere else for the rest of our stay.
There are some real bargains to be had early season.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robfryleeds
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear Mr. Fry,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to re-post the review.

You stayed at Porto Azzurro almost one year ago (March 2012) and back then, you posted the review once you arrived back home. Re-posting a review 10 months afterwards, it is misleading.

Things at Porto Azzurro developed for the good after the management took into consideration of the negative reviews that has been posted. We still have room for improvement. Since your stay, the hotel management took over the food and beverage once again and increased service and product at breakfast and dinner. One can find a selection of 35 items for breakfast which will be increased up to 50 items by summer time. Mini market was taken over once again and prices are competitive to supermarkets. Fourth floor is completely refurbished into Superior Apartments. Fifth Floor Apartments was face lifted with few room refurbished. Face-lifting of the third floor is being done at the moment. We are also working on the public areas. Works in the hotel rooms will start very shortly, only 2 years since refurbished.

Last and not least, a guest relations representative is spending time each and every morning in the lobby in order to assist clients that might encounter any difficulties during their stay.

I will assure all prospective clients that we offer a decent product for what clients pay for.

In case that you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,

Charlot Abela

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Was at Porto Azzurro in December 2012 for 4 days. I normally stay there when in Malta - quiet location and overlooking St Paul's Bay. I've always found the apartments offerred to be suitable for my needs & very much value the kitchen facilities. I understand that Porto Azzurro is being renovated and the domestic shortcomings (drapes, cleaning) I reported to the guest relations' manager, Alexis Meylaq were taken on board and dealt with efficiently. Otherwise, I've been happy at Porto Azzurro. I don't use the restaurant as I prepare my own meals. I'm certain that upon my next visit that I should not encounter any problems. On this occasion, the club scores 3 stars. J.R. CORBETT

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Jonathan C
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have visited Malta since 1981 on a fairly regular basis. We have stayed twice at Porto Azzurro, once on the second floor in very basic accommodation, quite cramped, but this time on the fourth floor in a more spacious apartment. Alexis did this second booking for us via email which simplified everything and she always responded to our questions promptly. We were quite happy with the apartment although there was a leak, speedily repaired. We had mentioned the lack of a bedroom curtain, and it was measured by the time we left, but we managed by using towels to keep the light out - there was no privacy problem. I personally found the bed too firm and we were given a single mattress to soften it, which worked quite well, but I would have preferred a proper double mattress topper. Out outlook was typical Malta, lovely hills and the crane ! We didn't use the hotel restaurant as we prefer to travel and eat out. I used the indoor pool and towels were provided from reception. We met with Graham and Alexis and followed through with Graham's recommendations of eateries. We shall visit again next year, a little earlier we hope as the weather was a little chilly to begin with, however the sun showed up at the end of the week and we enjoyed sitting by the outdoor pool and reading - the 'facilities' left a bit to be desired. We found room service a little off putting as they came so early in the morning (for us at least) eg they were finishing by 10 am. We did not use the spa so cannot comment. Someone was looking for the sauna and couldn't find it though ! However, all in all we rested as we wanted and found the apartment comfortable.

Room Tip: End of corridor rooms quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank harbourgarage
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This is our 7th visit to Porto Azzurro (mostly during late autumn) and we have always had self catering. Seven years ago the apartments were of a really high standard, but now they are in need of refurbishment. Needless to say, they have already started with the renovations! We find the apartment now quite basic, but very clean. The room maids come every day and beds are changed twice a week. The staff at this hotel are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. We would like to give a special mention to Alexis, Rachel and Rocio who couldn't do enough to help us! Unfortunately, this year, there was a building project directly across from our balcony. But, we will be returning again in November next year!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over St Paul's Bay - all day sun!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
#5 of 13 in Bugibba
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#11 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!