“Cheap but not Cheerful”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband booked this holiday as a surprise for Valentines day, on arrival at the hotel the staff were very helpful. Our room however was another matter, I found our room to be dark, dirty, outdated and totally miserable!! We asked at reception if we could swap rooms but unfortunately all of the rooms were full, all except the Penthouse that was, we moved into the Penthouse after paying the additional cost, although everything was new and there were spectacular views the rooms still could have done with a thorough cleaning.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the updated rooms or the penthouse
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kella1

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I cannot agree with some recent reviewers. The staff in general are friendly and attentive. Rooms are cleaned frequently and well, There is a plentiful supply of hot water and beds are comfortable. WIFI works. Tis true that kitchenettes could do with some more utensils but I was quite happy here and will return.

Room Tip: Dont be picky. Rooms that look inland are shielded from the weather
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Malcolm W
Reviewed 14 March 2014

my partner and I stayed her at the end of feb 2014 as part of a last min very low cost holiday. The hotel itself is clean and welcoming. The male receptionist in the evenings was such a lovely fellow and nothing was too much trouble. The room we stayed in was way up on the 5th floor which was fine until the lift broke towards the end of our holiday ( not that i minded as i hate lifts and the one in the hotel was rather wobbly and scary for me!) our room was clean and spacious with a lovely view towards the bay. you are provided with a kettle but not tea and coffee but nice big mugs not your usual tiny cups!
We had an issue with the flush and the hot water but after a word at reception these were soon rectified. The biggest issue we had was with the smell of the cleaning products used…it was horrific, it smelt of ammonia (bit like perming solution) and was foul (so bad we didn't have our room cleaned for a couple of days as we couldn't stand it…we ended up getting an air freshener to help with the smell…..PLEASE CHANGE TO SOMETHING ELSE!
I only used the pool a couple of times but it was clean and nice (bit small for me to swim in - three strokes and i was at the other end!) the main disappointment was the jacuzzi which was cold and you couldn't control the jets.
We never used the restaurant but the hotel bar was really nice although the bar staff could do with a bit of training as he was always running about with no time to talk etc which ruined the bar for us. Being feb the outdoor pool was closed but then again I didn't mind as it would have been way to cold!
The location of the hotel is great…yes its in a quiet area but there are a couple of restaurants around which are very nice. The bus service is fantastic with buses to pretty much anywhere on the island and at €6.50 for a week fantastic value.

All in all a nice hotel. great value for the price but please sort out your cleaning materials as they stink! Ps the cats out the back are very cute (especially the little grey one!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kernowanya
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have had holidays in Malta since 2000 and love the Island. I have stayed at the Porto Azzuro on three occasions and find it very satisfactory. The staff are just the friendliest and nothing is too much trouble. The reception staff and customer service and particularly Alexis are just the best. I don't know how they keep their cool when people complain about the silliest things. For instance, two ladies complained that their towels were wet after they had arrived at the hotel and had a shower!!!! The receptionist took them and promised replacements.

I prefer to self cater but there are breakfast and dinner facilities in the winter and I understand that for the rest of the year other facilities are offered.
I recommend a stay here if you want peace and quiet near the sea and with lots of walking very close by.

Room Tip: There are a variety of room to suit all and a very good disabled suite. The Penthouse suite has wo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jill R
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The actual hotel is reasonably good and most staff were friendly. However,the location of the hotel is not good for those who like to have a choice of bars/restaurants etc very close to them. For that you will need to go into Bugibba which is about 10 minute drive or 40 minute walk away. There were a couple of local places,the Porto del Sol was the best choice by far. My room was cleaned every day and towels replaced daily also. I would go back to the hotel if it was slightly nearer some activity as I found it slightly isolated. Overall,I'd say it was value for money.
One last thing to mention is that you can hear other people in adjoining rooms quite clearly - not good if you retire to bed early (like me!!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank nfs70
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This hotel is good for couples or individuals and those who have plans to go out for the day. Buses into other towns do not take long and very cheap! There was a small bar but not much else to do at the hotel. It was cold in Malta so the outdoor pool was closed yet the indoor pool was cold as well as the jacuzzi! The gym could do with some new machines as a few were broken. On a positive note, the reception staff were extremely friendly and very helpful with information! Wifi accessible for cheap price too! The mini mart attached to the hotel has what u need and the rooms have a kitchen which is great!
I booked a treatment with the beautician who made an effort to come in on her day off just for my treatment-she was lovely, made me very welcome, took pride in her work and I was very happy after. I would definitely recommend having a treatment booked with her if you stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Happyheadcase17
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel in February as a getaway. The hotel itself has great view from the balcony and sits at the top of a hill. The room was very basic 2 beds, a tv with terrible reception, tea and coffee making facilities (with no tea or coffee) The lift felt like a deathtrap and did not feel safe. The inside pool was nice, however the spa was cold. The outside pool was dirty and unclean. The customer service was undesirable and at times we felt like a burden. Particularly at breakfast where the person serving would move only us around. The food in the hotel was nice and that made the stay more bearable. The hotel was in a state of disrepair and badly needed a facelift and modernisation compared to other hotels on the island.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Porto Azzurro for your stay in Malta and finding the time to write a review regarding your stay.

We do apologies if we did not meet your expectations. Most of the time, we do get very reasonable reviews and we always offer type of rooms according to the price that one books. Meanwhile we started changing curtains in the hotel rooms.

In case that you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on charlot@portoazzurro.com.mt

Charlot Abela

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#4 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!