Returned this week from a lovely holiday in Malta. Reception staff at Porto Azzurro were fantastic, although the staff serving food and the food itself at breakfast left a lot to be desired. The breakfast was of poor standard overall, not enough choice and slow to be replenished when things rang out. If I was looking for anything more than self catered I would not stay again on this basis. The management should recognise that the breakfast service is letting an otherwise great place down. One morning there were halves of bananas available which were completely black, and the bacon was deep fried! I survived on corn flakes and toast. Simply not good enough.
There is air con and a room fan in the hotel rooms, however the air con doesn't get very cold which could be a problem further into summer. Also, be aware that your ceiling fan may actually be faster on number 1 than 5. The rooms, although very clean and cleaned every day, need a few odd jobs doing to them, such as repainting peeling paint and getting rid of the old washroom floor plugs in the bathroom which had an unpleasant smell.
The hotel is in the perfect location for a quiet holiday that has easy bus or car access to all the other areas of Malta. We each bought a bus ticket to go anywhere in Malta throughout the whole week for 6.50 Euros! We ate most nights at Munchy Monkey at the bottom of the hill and cannot recommend it enough.
One other point was that the pool is NOT a private pool for the hotel. It is used by locals, and one day there was a kids party being held there. This isn't really fair on guests unless it is stated in the hotel description, so either this needs changing or rules about who uses the pool does.
Overall I would recommend this hotel, just choose an apartment and use the supermarkets in Bugibba rather than the mini market.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Azzurro. The Porto Aparthotel, a family run Aparthotel in Xemxija Bay, is prominently situated overlooking the picturesque St.Paul's Bay with breathtaking views of the Maltese countryside. The resort apartments and hotel rooms are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. The main towns nearby are Mellieha, St Pauls Bay and the tourist resort of Bugibba. The sandy beaches of Golden Sands and Mellieha Bay are less than 3 kilometers away. The hotel's apartments are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. All the apartments have a bathroom or shower en suite, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen complete with a microwave oven, television, safety deposit box and direct dial telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Azzurro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Azzurro Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Porto Azzurro St Pauls Bay
- Porto Azzurro Malta