A couple of friends and I recently travelled to Malta for the first time & stayed at the Porto Azzuro Hotel.
As soon as we got off our transfer bus & into the hotel we were so excited to be there and just wanted to get into our rooms. However, it was not ready yet so we were told to leave out luggage in the storage room (which was not at all secure as we were given the key to the room and told to bring our own bags there along with everyone else) and told to return at 2pm.
I was a bit annoyed as nowhere on the site did it state that check in was that late- but what could we do?
We went out & returned at 2pm to then be told our room would not be ready until 3pm!! The receptionist (Rachel) did not seen very apologetic when telling us this & then proceeded to check in all the others that had just arrived... All we could do was sit there unhappy wile everyone else happily passed us by.
When we finally got our room key and went on our way I noticed that parts of the public areas were in a bad shape- plaster falling off the walls, dirty and patchy paint & a really tiny lift that you often had to struggle with to get to work.
In the actual room, one of the beds were no made up like the others & there was a stain on the sheets- as I work in a hotel I am well aware of bedroom standards and what is acceptable. When I went to reception to let them know the receptionist (Rachel) did not even bother to look up at me & give me any proper attention. Upon closer inspection later on also noticed that the actual pillows and mattresses were stained!!
The room was pretty average but had all the basic necessities- the bathroom was the best part- however there was a load of sand in the toilet which I guess was left over from the previous guests.
One of the things I did not like was that the apartment rooms were only cleaned every 4 days & as we only stayed 5 it did not get cleaned until the day before we left- which is pointless.
In terms of the rest of the staff, Joanna was the best and most helpful along with the lady at reception that helped us organised activities & excursions (sorry I can't remember her name).
We did not use many of the facilities on offer other than the outdoor pool & bar (which we had a beautiful view of from our room) and the mini market which came in very handy. The wifi was a little overpriced in my eyes.
The pool bar staff are amazing! We spent quite a bit of time there chatting to the bartenders and other guests staying at the hotel, enjoying some lovely cocktails & catching a few of the football matches.
I have to say- the newest bar member (Shamma I think his name is) is the best and made our experience that little bit better by taking the time to entertain us. Please make sure to pass on our thanks & big hello from London from us :).
Overall, the hotel has it's ups and downs and is good for a short stay. It's located in a nice area that is close to transportation so you can always get where you need to go & the bus tickets are REALLY cheap.
There is a port/mini rock beach across from the hotel which was really nice & the water was always lovely and warm.
I would say it's more of a place for a "quiet & relaxing" holiday rather than a boozy one. Would I stay there again? Probably not, but after all- you get what you pay for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Azzurro. The Porto Aparthotel, a family run Aparthotel in Xemxija Bay, is prominently situated overlooking the picturesque St.Paul's Bay with breathtaking views of the Maltese countryside. The resort apartments and hotel rooms are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. The main towns nearby are Mellieha, St Pauls Bay and the tourist resort of Bugibba. The sandy beaches of Golden Sands and Mellieha Bay are less than 3 kilometers away. The hotel's apartments are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. All the apartments have a bathroom or shower en suite, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen complete with a microwave oven, television, safety deposit box and direct dial telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Onthebeach, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Azzurro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Azzurro Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Porto Azzurro St Pauls Bay
- Porto Azzurro Malta