“Short break in St Paul's Bay”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
“Short break in St Paul's Bay”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A couple of friends and I recently travelled to Malta for the first time & stayed at the Porto Azzuro Hotel.

As soon as we got off our transfer bus & into the hotel we were so excited to be there and just wanted to get into our rooms. However, it was not ready yet so we were told to leave out luggage in the storage room (which was not at all secure as we were given the key to the room and told to bring our own bags there along with everyone else) and told to return at 2pm.
I was a bit annoyed as nowhere on the site did it state that check in was that late- but what could we do?

We went out & returned at 2pm to then be told our room would not be ready until 3pm!! The receptionist (Rachel) did not seen very apologetic when telling us this & then proceeded to check in all the others that had just arrived... All we could do was sit there unhappy wile everyone else happily passed us by.

When we finally got our room key and went on our way I noticed that parts of the public areas were in a bad shape- plaster falling off the walls, dirty and patchy paint & a really tiny lift that you often had to struggle with to get to work.

In the actual room, one of the beds were no made up like the others & there was a stain on the sheets- as I work in a hotel I am well aware of bedroom standards and what is acceptable. When I went to reception to let them know the receptionist (Rachel) did not even bother to look up at me & give me any proper attention. Upon closer inspection later on also noticed that the actual pillows and mattresses were stained!!

The room was pretty average but had all the basic necessities- the bathroom was the best part- however there was a load of sand in the toilet which I guess was left over from the previous guests.

One of the things I did not like was that the apartment rooms were only cleaned every 4 days & as we only stayed 5 it did not get cleaned until the day before we left- which is pointless.

In terms of the rest of the staff, Joanna was the best and most helpful along with the lady at reception that helped us organised activities & excursions (sorry I can't remember her name).

We did not use many of the facilities on offer other than the outdoor pool & bar (which we had a beautiful view of from our room) and the mini market which came in very handy. The wifi was a little overpriced in my eyes.

The pool bar staff are amazing! We spent quite a bit of time there chatting to the bartenders and other guests staying at the hotel, enjoying some lovely cocktails & catching a few of the football matches.
I have to say- the newest bar member (Shamma I think his name is) is the best and made our experience that little bit better by taking the time to entertain us. Please make sure to pass on our thanks & big hello from London from us :).

Overall, the hotel has it's ups and downs and is good for a short stay. It's located in a nice area that is close to transportation so you can always get where you need to go & the bus tickets are REALLY cheap.
There is a port/mini rock beach across from the hotel which was really nice & the water was always lovely and warm.
I would say it's more of a place for a "quiet & relaxing" holiday rather than a boozy one. Would I stay there again? Probably not, but after all- you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Alineeek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington Township, Michigan
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The window in the bathroom opened into a shaft. The shaft stunk and we could not use the window. The bathroom needed ventilation. The veranda door did not work well. It was hard to open. When I reported it the hotel staff did repair it quickly. Ice would have been nice to have. I could not make ice in the mini room frig. If there was an ice machine in the hotel I didn’t know where it was. I have never stayed in a ‘hotel/apartment’. It was nice having a toaster and kettle in the room. We were able to eat some of our meals in the room. You supplied soap for the bathroom but no soap for washing the dirty dishes. A sponge to wash dishes would have been nice too.

Room Tip: The window in the bathroom opened into a shaft. The shaft stunk and we could not use the window...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank Jim S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We arrived at Porto Azzuro around 12pm sometime not long ago. We were greeted by a lobby full of people waiting to check in. When we ourselves tried to check in we were told that our rooms would not be ready until 2pm. This was understandable and at the time we saw no problem with this. We were told we could leave our luggage in the allocated luggage room and were given the key to lock up. When we arrived at the luggage room there was next to no room for ours. There seemed to be nobody guarding this room either which seemed very unsafe given the amount of personal belongings in the room.

We went for a look around the area to pass the time but unfortunately there isn't much to see. There were a few restaurants, a newsagent and a beachwear shop. The beach wasn't that amazing but without the correct attire we were unable to fully explore this part. We arrived back at the hotel at 2pm as instructed and was told that the room was still not ready and that we should wait another hour. With nothing to do we were forced to wait in the now nearly empty lobby. We watched as other guests who arrived after us were checked in and given rooms. To pass the time we decided to log into wifi which unfortunately is not free and not all that cheap either. Disappointingly it can only be used on one deceive too so if you have an iPad/iPhone for example you must choose between the two or pay for both. The time runs out very fast and although there are instructions on the card they are not all that helpful and do not work well with all devices. When this was mentioned to the staff they seemed disgruntled, impatient and unable to help. We were also expected to pay for the usage of the TV and safety deposit box.

We were finally given a room once we complained yet again and all crammed into the very tiny and VERY temperamental lift (I.e - it takes about 20 pushes of the buttons to actually make the lift work!) and headed to our room. The room overall was not too bad but still not 100% as it should be. Two beds were made up with a blanket and one without. When we went down to reception to ask for one (as the rooms telephone had no instructions on how to contact the front desk) we were told the cleaners did not have enough. There was also a mark on the sheets which was changed straight away by one of the house keepers. A blanket which had supposedly ran out was also brought along too.

A few nights in we decided that we needed new towels and a little clean up, we went to the front desk and took one of the door hanger notices which asked for our room to be cleaned. Having left it up for 2 days with no outcome we asked the staff when our room would be cleaned and she advised that only the hotel rooms were cleaned on a regular basis and the apartments were done every four days (meaning no fresh towels unless you bring them down to the laundry room and request more and in some cases no clean sheets/toilet roll etc..). Ou room was finally cleaned the day before we left.

There were a few good points about the hotel though. The pool and bar area were both lovely (please note the jacuzzi does not work). The bar staff (especially Shabba) we're very friendly and worked well under pressure. There were football matches shown live and music playing all night which was brilliant if you fancied a night in the area as opposed to St Juliens etc.. There were also some good facilities such as a salon, gym/indoor pool (admittedly we did not use), mini market and an activity booker. The lady who arranged the activities was extremely helpful and happy to help. She helped to arrange lots of lovely activities for very reasonable prices. The bus stop was very close to the hotel and bus prices were very reasonable.

I did enjoy my holiday at Porto Azzuro but I personally wouldn't return to the area nor the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Kaunas, Lithuania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Porto Azzuro hotel in Malta, St. Paul`s bay (actually in Xemxija) is well located as the famous beaches are really close comparing to those who have to travel from Valletta, or Sliema, for example (7 min by car). It has a nice pool and lounge area, located in a quiet area.The appartment was quite good, but: 1. arriving late at night (to be precise at midnight) and getting to know that our booked room was not ready and we had to stay for a night in some other one, but the next day at 6am we supposed to move to ours, while we had arrangements (son`s birthday, booked cruise, coach picking early in the morning at 7:30)- nobody cared, so did we. We stayed in the room till we got back from the cruise (till the eve) and then moved. No sorries, nor excuses, nor refund or free gifts for such inconvenience neither from the staff nor the manager. 2. Toiletries. They ought to be included in the room service, but all you get is 1 oz (50 ml) of shower gel and 1 oz (50 ml) shampoo for two for the whole stay of 10 days. Ah, we needed to ask for some toilet paper as well. 3. The TV in the living room broke down-no reaction whatsoever. 4. No free WI-Fi even in the lounge area. 600 min, which somehow ended too fast, cost 5 euros. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our holidays, we just had to ignore the staff and used the TV in the bedroom.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ingaDau
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to write a review on tripadvisor.com regarding your stay in Malta.

I do not think that the main comment describe us as what we really are.

Please note that we had a small incident in the room that you were allocated before you arrived. Therefore, we checked to see exactly what time rest of clients will arrive. Since you were one of the last and most probably clients would have not unpacked, we asked you to move to the room the following morning. Unfortunately, we were disregarded.

WiFi charges are reasonable especially if one follows the instructions on the voucher.

In case that you to clarify any of your comments, do not hesitate to contact me on charlot@portoazzurro.com.mt

Charlot Abela
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks in Malta. We had a really lovely holiday there and the staff at the hotel were very helpful and pleasant but halfway through our holiday we were bombarded with a coach full of Belguim students who were dive bombing into the pool and we couldn't get a sun lounger for love nor money. They also thought it was great fun to scream and shout out to each other when they were right next to that person. One student was constantly clapping at anything and everything that his peers said or did. One guy complained to reception at the time and a member of staff spoke to there leader who got them all together but nothing changed! Also we miss the ala carte menu that the hotel restaurant always served if you wanted. If you just want a snack you can get it at the pool bar but it just seemed to be burgers/chips ect. Rather spoiled our holiday as we had to go outside of the hotel just to get away from the students who ran riot over the leader. A member of the hotel staff told us when we mentioned to them about the students/noise that they won't be back. Well we shall see.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peggysue2770
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to post a review on tripadvisor.com.

I am aware of the situation and it has been tackled. As for the Hotel, I was not informed about the the guests who meant to check in where of that age and purpose until a week before the guests' arrival date.

Kindly contact me on charlot@portoazzurro.com.mt

Charlot Abela

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having recently spent a long period at PortoAzzurro ,my overall experience was great.All staff are friendly,in particularly Alexis,who is always availiable,as customer service,who helps with any concerns that you may have & observing that she gives this to all.Anybody who has complaints,instead of moaning to each other,should relay these to her,as she will do her utmost to resolve any issues that you may have.If she`s not available all of the reception staff will help in anyway they can.-they are approachable! For me personally I find the hotel adequate,yes there are some areas that could do with re decorating & feel sure these will be addressed hopefully in the near future.My room was a 4th floor studio apartment with adequate facilities,overlooking the pool.There`s nothing I like more than the relaxation I feel when on the balcony.taking in views of the countryside,the harbour is only a few minutes away,down the hill where a walk around it is pleasant & bus stops to all areas of Malta with cheap travel only 1.50euros for a day ticket,which includes travelling on different buses. There are plenty of eating places around the harbour,the kiosk is a good place for drinks & snacks,while enjoying the views. The pool bar at PortoAzzurro has been enhanced to a high standard,serving drinks & food & all the staff are friendly.Its kept clean daily.There isn't really much entertainment going on at the hotel,if that's want you want,but to be fair when the staff make efforts to provide some,it is usually not well attended,so as this obviously costs money they cant be blamed if they don't always organise something.However what I attended,I had some good evenings.I agree with some comments that the shop can be costly,but its handy to have it there all the same.There is a bar that opens in the evenings,but again not well attended,most guests appear to go out or stay in their rooms.The pool bar is also open til late in high season,which appears to be better attended.All in all a good 3star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a self catering apartment
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have been coming to Malta for over 25 years and have stayed at Porto Azzurro since 2008. The hotel is suited to those wishing for a quieter location away from the noise of Bugibba and Qawra. These places are easily accessible via a 15 minute bus journey, should you want some vibrant nightlife. Also nearby and to the north is Mellieha with great beaches and watersports. The hotel is set back from the main road, so there is little traffic noise and it is extremely peaceful at night with the Maltese countryside immediately surrounding the complex to the north and a view down St. Paul's bay to the south.

The pool at Porto Azzurro is 'freshwater' and is kept clean each night/morning without over usage of chemicals, so swimming is a very pleasant experience. There is also a well stocked pool bar with friendly service.

The customer representative, Alexis Meylaq is on hand each morning to meet and discuss issues etc with clients. She is very helpful and can also advise on the best places to visit.

If you are looking for a hotel in a great location with easy access to a number of good restaurants and on the main bus route, but want somewhere a little quieter to relax during the day or in the evenings, I would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms available with a pool and countryside views on the north side of the hotel, whilst those on th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,546 reviews

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!