We have just returned after a two week self catering stay at the hotel porto Azzurro. We knew that this was not going to be The Ritz given the cost of the place. We were given room 305 on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool area, which was fine although it is a little strange to have to walk across the road to get to the pool. On arriving in the room we were disappointed to find that it was dirty, including very stained bed covers. We informed reception that these were dirty and were told to throw them on the floor and 'it would be written in the book'. We were expecting that this meant that they would be replaced but after 4 days they were simply put back on the bed - including the dust , fluff and dirt that they had picked up from the floor, which was never swept during the whole 2 weeks! We put them on top of the wardrobe and they stayed there after that. Beds and towels were changed every 4 days but there was no sign that anything else had been done. The kettle in our apartment broke twice but we were told by the totally unhelpful receptionists that the maintenance man only worked between 7am and 7pm - something that assumed even greater relevance later on! Overall there is no way this is a 3 star hotel unless we were really unlucky with the room and the service. The overall cleanliness and presentation of the room left a lot to be desired. On our final day we were up early as we needed to be at the airport by 9.30 am. I was in the shower at 6.30 and as I turned the shower off the bath/shower unit came away from the wall, resulting in high pressure hot and cold water shooting across the room, flooding it very swiftly - we tried to contact reception by phone but the phone did not work so while my wife tried desperatly to stem the flow of water I dashed to reception expalining that there was an emergency. The receptionist told me that he would have to phone the mainteneance man, who would probably be on his way! I asked for the location of the stop cock and tried to emphasies to him that water was actually pouring from our room risking flooding both our room and the rest of the hotel. His shrugged response was less than helpful. I returned to the room and helped my wife to try to prevent further flooding but there was nothing we could do except try to direct this scalding water into the bath, using the shower curtain as a shield. The maintenance man arrived after about 10 minutes and turned the water off but not before my wife and I were soaked through and water was running along the now slippery marble floored corridor and into other rooms. The maintenence man though trying to be helpful was far less concerned about the health and safety implications of all this than we were! If they can be so laid back in this kind of situation what would they be like in a fire or other emergency?!! ningApart from all this ther was a weird feel to the hotel as there were time share people congregating around the top of the pool area each morning and a stream of visitors doing I dont know what. If you want peace of mind do not go here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Azzurro. The Porto Aparthotel, a family run Aparthotel in Xemxija Bay, is prominently situated overlooking the picturesque St.Paul's Bay with breathtaking views of the Maltese countryside. The resort apartments and hotel rooms are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. The main towns nearby are Mellieha, St Pauls Bay and the tourist resort of Bugibba. The sandy beaches of Golden Sands and Mellieha Bay are less than 3 kilometers away. The hotel's apartments are stylish and comfortable and provide a luxurious base for a truly relaxing holiday. All the apartments have a bathroom or shower en suite, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen complete with a microwave oven, television, safety deposit box and direct dial telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Porto Azzurro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Azzurro Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Porto Azzurro St Pauls Bay
- Porto Azzurro Malta