“Dont believe all the negative comments” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Porto Azzurro
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Dont believe all the negative comments”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

We returned from a week break at the Porto Azzuro last Tuesday, and felt the need to defend the place which has had so many negative comments on here. In all honesty I was absolutely dreading staying here, but was pleasantly suprised when I unlocked the door to our 1 bed apartment. Granted the room was a little tired, but it was clean. The bed linen and towels were clean and fresh, the fridge was spotless as was the microwave and toaster. The bathroom again a bit weary but the shower was excellent and unlike many places I have stayed there was endless hot water. Dont let the comment about the pool being across the road put you off, this road is purely an area for hotel guests car parking, it is basically a cul de sac and therefore is not open to thru traffic. I loved the pool area, there were plenty of sunbeds, and although the pool doesn't officially open until 9, you will find plenty of towels reserving the best sunbeds from about 7.30am. As for the timeshare people, yes there are a number of them they have an office up near the pool bar and although I did see them turning up for work at about 9.30 am every morning, not once was I approached by them, nor did I see them approach anyone else by the pool. They were there representing Club Malta, and giving presentations for those holiday makers who wanted them. They certainly didn't bother us. Xemxija itself is fairly quiet, there are a handful of nice restaurants, in particular we liked the Fortress and Eureka, two completely different eateries, but both serving excellent food. The views across the harbour to St Pauls Bay are delightful. We wanted a relaxing Holiday and that is exactly what we got, not much to do for my 15 year old daughter in the way of nightlife, if you want busy bars and clubs then you need to head to Buggiba. All in all we had a good holiday and wouldn't have a problem staying at the Porto Azzuro again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Reviews for this place have been mixed. But given the price, location, service and facilities I think we should give this place its dues.

Its been classed as a 3start hotel and it is. Some say building work is going on daily and starts too early. Well, it’s a holiday and who is staying in the room the whole day... get your breakfast, get out and explore.

At first I was in ground floor but after two days was moved to a room with a sea view and a balcony too. It was lovely. The cleaning service was every 4 days, change of sheets and cleaning of the floor. Plenty of toilet rolls and nothing from personal items was ever touched. The personnel are top notch, polite and well mannered.

Nothing is ever too much trouble for this great bunch of people!
I don’t know where to start?!
Rachel, the duty manager always helpful with advice and practical, anything you need simply ask her. Extremely efficient. Said and done, she will listen, advice, make calls and move things around at speed.

Isabel at reception, great person and very helpful.

Joseph, the night reception a well travelled and kind gentleman who will do his utmost to help you.

Wilson [or Winston] the night reception too, great guy, kind and polite, at anytime ready and willing to help.

The hotel has a minimarket with most things one needs [food, newspapers, drinks etc] and the “young man” in there [well he is 74 y/o] is a great person and so is the girl who works there also.

A small library in the loby, ask reception for the Key.

Internet Access, free wireless or pay 3 Euros for 75 Minutes at Hotel computers.

I found them all to be terrifically efficient and personable and definitely will go again to that hotel.

Porto Azzurro has a bar downstairs open till early morning and with a pool table. Also has a big outdoors swimming pool that I visited at last 4 days and also and indoor small pool and a Jacuzzi. Showers to be used after swimming and a scuba diving shop.

Rooms are clean, with a kitchenette with two hot plates and a fridge. I would have like the hot plates to be heated fast, but it was ok. Also has a microwave oven and all that is needed to cook simple meals. Pan, frying pan, plenty of plates, spoons, fork, cheese grater, wooden spoon, laden, flat turner for eggs and bacon and a kettle and a toaster too.

The kettle could do with a replacement or cleaning as it had lime scale, buts ok. Clean bathroom, toilet, bathtub, shower all in good order.

Going out of the hotel one could turn left and go to Mellieha or Golden Beach or Gozo and turning right one can go and explore Malta from Qawra, Buggiba, Sliemma, St Julians, or to Naxar, Mosta, Mdina Rabat. Valleta and till Buggia.

Malta is a small place, no more than 30 km, but has so many localized centers that is surprising and everyday there is something to do. Dripping in history, with a rugged terrains, little towns and countryside mixed, has anything needed in a concentrated form for everyone and caters to every taste.

I been there before, love the place and the people and will go there again. Maltese are proud people without being arrogant, are helpful and polite without being condescending or invasive and you soon feel that they are kind and generous to a fault.

The place is safe, free from criminality and it has a gentle pace, despite having 5 millions tourist per year, almost 10-12 time the island’s populations, Malta has managed to retain its class and style. Harmony, peace, couture, history, archaeology and cross road of different civilizations all in that tiny island. That is Malta.

If you are looking for a 18-30 style holiday with drinks, fights, cries and scream, this place definitely isn’t for you. : )
Porto Azzurro, has 110 rooms, and despite having so many visitors that change and come-go daily, the staff is EXCELLENT.

For service, location and the quality of its staff, I would give this place a 5 Star service.

We are treated well, our concerns acted on time, the advice given was accurate, the car Hire was provided for us by Marvic Car Hire, a great family run business.
Despite being small, Malta needs a car to visit and enjoy. To go to the sandy beaches [very few have sand, most are rocky ones] visit the neighboring island of Gozo, or to go out for a drink / dinner at night time.

Marv is based in Buggiba, behind the Trolleys supermarket and Mr Kebab restaurant[ a lovely place to visit] just opposite the Buggiba Post Office. His phone No is +356 9987 1879. Give him a try and you wont be disappointed, he can collect you from the airport, or bring the car to your hotel. When you leave you simply drop the key at your hotel reception. I used his car’s twice and am very satisfied with the very affordable sevice provided.

This is his email in case you ever need it. Simple, phone and he will come through for you, no need for long internet searches, comparisons and so one, much better than msot big car hire companies and willing to adapt to your needs day or night. info@marviccarhire.com

This was Porto Azzurro for me and Malta, great hotel located in wonderful and beautiful place.

With thanks to the Management of Porto Azzurro, all the staff and everyone we met in Malta.

London 29 July, 2010

P.S. Do I have any criticism?
Well, yes I do, in Maltesse roads No One Indicates, either left or right.LoL. But all is forgiven, 3 years ago, cars there drove at terrifying speed, buses too, bumper to bumper, now that has changed so its a major improvement.
P.S.2. Don't book directly at the hotel, its less expensive to book through internet holiday providers, I did it with travelrepublic.

Take it easy and enjoy the Maltesse Islands.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank b41_10
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

I would like to say that even though my title states "a little tired" this is the second time I have visited the Porto Azzuro and I feel that I state a true and fair write up on it. We arrived on the 22nd June and had to wait in reception for the cleaners to finish cleaning it. Which is not really that acceptable but we went to have a walk and an ice cream which is down the road to the left of the hotel in a pull in, they sell everything wine, beer, crisps, sarnies and of course delicious ice cream, also in the same lay by is a veg stall which is great if you are self catering.
Anyway we were shown to our room which was far too small to spend a fortnight in marred by the fact that it had one double bed, and although myself and my friend like each other its not that much!
So I went to the reception and we were given a larger room, which contained two single beds, a small kitchenette, and bathroom and balcony.
The kitchenette was equipped but the cooker hob was not clearly marked which rings were which and were on when they were off. Utensils were few and far between a cheese grater would have been useful so would a flat spatula for eggs and perhaps some egg cups?
But we managed to cook some lovely meals (good job we are both gifted in the cooking department)
The room itself was cleaned but a shortage of loo rolls was a problem and it is looking a little tired and perhaps a clean of the windows and in the framing would give it more appeal. But on the whole I am not going to knock it too far.
Breakfasts can be purchased separately at 3.50 euros, it is ok. The lady who is in the dining room is efficient, but one day she was off and the bowl for used tea bags was overflowing and there were no cups, the cheeses were not replenished and guests were having to ask all the time. Also could some fried eggs be placed on the menu? scrambled and boiled are available. Also the utensils to serve are often left in the containers (usually by holiday makers) which makes them hot to the touch and children helping themselves could be burnt. Maybe tinned tomatoes would be better as well rather than the cooked version they have now. But like I say its fair.
The pool is not looking so good as it was last year either the parasols have now gone completely bald and you are struggling for shade from the sun. Litter and bottles are also left at the pool. In fact there are poles now rather than parasols.
The reception staff I found helpful and also the nice gentleman that works in the shop and the lovely girl Maxine, and the lady in the dining room were great.
We had a fire alarm go off at around midnight luckily we were still up at that time however no apology was given by the management for the inconvenience. The bar is not that great I was ignored by the young man in the bar and after waiting 15 mins with only one other to serve I left it.
The local eateries, well lets see, The fortress very expensive for disappointing fayre, lovely surroundings but poor portions.
The Munchy Moose I recommended last year, however not so good this time, we ordered Pizza with chillies no chillies to be seen when we were asked if we enjoyed our meal we stated that there were no chillies, they took a grump and brought a bottle of tabasco sauce, needless to say no more pizzas for us.
The best food in the area is Seashells Chip shop (not only fish and chips I might add) varied menu too much to mention. This is on Tourist Street in Bugibba.
And if you like Indian Cuisine the Star of India in Xemjiha service great and food delicious and I mean delicious. With great views over the bay.
I found on our trip to Sliema that the difference in eateries was vast one after the other with great choices besides being a great resort.
Also in response to the gentleman complaining about building works, he is not wrong, there was a huge tower crane which hovered above our room throughout our stay and there is building work going on, however the noise was not bad for us as we were on the front, the main noise is from the road at the bottom and the sounding of car horns plus barking dogs from neighbouring houses.
There are time share guys there but they dont bother you, unduly but we did get a call from one whilst in our room on the phone so be warned.
If you want a basic holiday no frills and inexpensive and just a base this is for you. If not perhaps you should be paying a little more money for excellence.
However, I do not think I shall be returning which is a shame because it could be so nice it needs some tweeks here and there.
Also after working in a five star hotel in Britain I think I know what I mean.
However Porto Azzuro I am sure you are doing your best but a little harder would go along way.
All opinions are different and I would recommend but with no high expectations. One more thing the lift is too small when you have large cases it carries 3 persons only.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

Shame on youThomsons for selling this holiday. We already knew they were problems after reading previous reviews(after we booked the holiday). We were in 521 and there was construction work on both sides of us(started at 6.30am) the room was tired and when we arrived it was a tip. 2 nights into our stay I had a spring bust through the sheets of the bed, we were not sleeping on the beds under any costs and asked for another bed. We were changed to a lower ground room for the night and the bed was changed next day. No apology was given and no one asked if I had been hurt. We did find the bus service great and the walks were stunning. Most of the people we met were friendly and we had a great time in Malta. However I will never use this travel company again or stay at this hotel. I have seen cleaner and better kept youth hostels.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vance29
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
It is true there is a building site next to the hotel but this has been completed over a year ago and is in shell form and no further construction has been going on. The matresses in all the property are relatively new and still in good shape. When a problem occurs we always take action immediately and try to avoid future problems. I cannot agree with you on the cleanliness as I constantly go around the premises and even though we are certainly not the most modern hotel on the island, cleanliness is not an issue.

Travellers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Mitcham, surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

We have just returned after a two week self catering stay at the hotel porto Azzurro. We knew that this was not going to be The Ritz given the cost of the place. We were given room 305 on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool area, which was fine although it is a little strange to have to walk across the road to get to the pool. On arriving in the room we were disappointed to find that it was dirty, including very stained bed covers. We informed reception that these were dirty and were told to throw them on the floor and 'it would be written in the book'. We were expecting that this meant that they would be replaced but after 4 days they were simply put back on the bed - including the dust , fluff and dirt that they had picked up from the floor, which was never swept during the whole 2 weeks! We put them on top of the wardrobe and they stayed there after that. Beds and towels were changed every 4 days but there was no sign that anything else had been done. The kettle in our apartment broke twice but we were told by the totally unhelpful receptionists that the maintenance man only worked between 7am and 7pm - something that assumed even greater relevance later on! Overall there is no way this is a 3 star hotel unless we were really unlucky with the room and the service. The overall cleanliness and presentation of the room left a lot to be desired. On our final day we were up early as we needed to be at the airport by 9.30 am. I was in the shower at 6.30 and as I turned the shower off the bath/shower unit came away from the wall, resulting in high pressure hot and cold water shooting across the room, flooding it very swiftly - we tried to contact reception by phone but the phone did not work so while my wife tried desperatly to stem the flow of water I dashed to reception expalining that there was an emergency. The receptionist told me that he would have to phone the mainteneance man, who would probably be on his way! I asked for the location of the stop cock and tried to emphasies to him that water was actually pouring from our room risking flooding both our room and the rest of the hotel. His shrugged response was less than helpful. I returned to the room and helped my wife to try to prevent further flooding but there was nothing we could do except try to direct this scalding water into the bath, using the shower curtain as a shield. The maintenance man arrived after about 10 minutes and turned the water off but not before my wife and I were soaked through and water was running along the now slippery marble floored corridor and into other rooms. The maintenence man though trying to be helpful was far less concerned about the health and safety implications of all this than we were! If they can be so laid back in this kind of situation what would they be like in a fire or other emergency?!! ningApart from all this ther was a weird feel to the hotel as there were time share people congregating around the top of the pool area each morning and a stream of visitors doing I dont know what. If you want peace of mind do not go here!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
It is funny how versions change when writing about the same event. In front of me I have a letter from these same guests ending 'Everyone was helpful in the end'! I understand this was an emergency in the early hours of the morning and although maintenance was not yet on duty at the time, the issue was solved in a matter of minutes. Surely you appreciate that the receptionist cannot simply leave reception unattended. I would also like to assure you that the staff is well aware on all health and safety issues and is trained in fire safety and first aid. During your stay we also held an evacuation fire drill to support all this.
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

Just returned from a fab week at the Porto Azzurro apts......where can i start, everything was just fantastic,the staff in every department were delightful....accomodation,pool,restaurant/bar,food,location were fabulous.....just booked to return with more family members in Sept!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

Attracted by a very good price my wife and I booked a week long holiday at the Porto Azzurro. It was sold to us as the hotel had been upgraded to a 4 star and the owner(s) wanted to show it off. They flatly denied that this was a time share operation although when the paperwork was E mailed to me a condition of the holiday was that we attended a presentation. This turned out to be a time share presentation by R.C.I.
About the hotel.......In my view.....there seems to be three types of guests at the hotel. These are time share owners, prospective time share buyers and ordinary holiday makers (Thomas Cook sends guests threre. We found the hotel ok. The apartmentwe stayed in was tatty in parts but it was clean and as we were on half board we never used ti limited cooking facilities.. The view from our room was a bit of an eyesore as it looked out over a building site but we did have a restricted view of the bay. Rooms on the other side of the hotel which overlooked the pool seemed a lot better and far more moderd. The hotel facilities included a small shop, indoor pool and fiktness room. The pool area was clean and tidy and the wall which surroundsit was a useful windbreak.
The restaurant was ok ish. The food wasn't brilliant for those of us on a meal package but meals purchased seperately were filling and tasty, The staff, on the whole, let the place down. They seemed miserable most of the time particularly the receptionists who seemed tohave the weight of the world on their shoulders. There were other members of staff who tried to be pleasant partic in the dining room.
Out and about.....Xemxija is a bit of a nothing area, although the buses stop on the main road at the bottom of the hill leading to the hotel. If you want togoout at night its a long ish walk toget anywhere or a taxi ride as the buses tend to finish early (from 6pm) in some cases.
Whilst I don.t rate the Hotel or Xemxija dont let me put you off a holiday in ,Malta. There are loads of places to visit and sights to see amd we will go backthere just not to the Porto Azzurro.
Holiday hot tip.....forget the car and take to the buses partic the old bone shakers they are cheap, regular, great fun and the drivers are friendly and pleasant,
Holiday don't.....dont book the Porto Azzurro if your mobility is restricted bbecase itis situated on a short but very steep hill,

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Luna Holiday Complex
Luna Holiday Complex
#7 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,197 reviews

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!