“Qawra Malta - Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Salina Wharf

Club Salina Wharf
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
County Galway, Ireland
“Qawra Malta - Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed in Club Salina Wharf, Qawra Malta for two weeks in mid July 2011. Liked the resort but particularly loved Malta - the people, the food and the entertainment (drink!).
The complex is basic but has a very friendly staff, excellent value in lunch by the pool, apartment was fine. I stayed with my wife and my daughter and a friend. Plenty room in apartment 91 bedroom) and all facilities were very good. Pool area was excellent - no queuing or reserving beds as there was plenty room for everyone.
Loved all the restaurants around Qawra and especially in nearby Bugibba. There are so many good ones - just look around.
Took boat trip to the Blue Lagoon and Gozo with Shamu Cruises - well worth while and one of the best days we had.
We will go back to Malta - loved it.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suitable for up to 4 adults
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Having read various negative reviews about Salina Wharf,I am amazed by these bad remarks made. We were here in June 2011 for the first time. But being here November and staying at the Bugibba Holiday Complex (not a place to stay) This was Shangrila.

Our apartment was next door to the one everybody is shown. I have to say that ours was of the same standard, immaculate, cleaned to a high standard. Our view was not a sea view, but this did not bother my husband and I, overlooking the street. which not disturb us. Our bedroom was on the other side of the room and we slept soundly every night. No discos!!!!!!

Whilst there were no outside swimming pool, which was being revamped and was opened before we left, this did not bother us. There were several moaners and groaners about this situation. But Hey, there was an indoor pool for those desperate to swim.
After all whio wants to swim in a pool which for the interests of health and safety was closed down with several faults!!!!!!

The restaurant service (we were half board) was excellent. And the menu varied each night.

As regards to the entertainment. Some good, some bad. If its not your scene dont' go. But you get a good laugh at the wannabees stars!!!!!

All in all you make new friends as we did, and are hoping to see each other in the not to distant future.

After all these comments about John and other reps. If you feel pushed in renewing your next years holiday. Be careful there is such a word as NO. But we have,nt said that yet. See you soon SALINA

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank santorini055
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I definatly will not listen to people anymore concerning future holidays or thinking about time share, I was approched by Salina Wharf where I was offered a holiday in silver star accomodation for a very good price(not inc airfares) where I thought if its too true to be good then it probably is, I was wrong to my dismay, I could not travel on that date for reasons I wont go into, so I emailed Club Salina and told them of my dilema they were professional and understanding and the deposit I paid was debited back to my account shortly after cancelling, from what I have seen and heard about them and the positive feedback I recieved I wish I had taken the offer and I will definatly take a holiday in Malta and stay at the Salina wharf. Dont listen to people that dont know what they are talking about as I have missed out on what I think would have been a great holiday.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dennis048
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I recieved a telephone call from a lady working for the hotel offering a discounted holiday for me and my family. At first i was very dubious about the offer as i thought it was just another timeshare promotion how wrong i was.
I went on this site read a few reviews that were not great but after staying here i am wondering whether we are talking about the same place.
We were collected free of charge from the airport as this was our first visit to Malta we really appreciated this service and we were also taken back after our holiday ended.
Firstly we arrived at this hotel and was checked in by a very nice maltese receptionist who showed us to our apartment. The apartment had a full kitchenette which we found very helpful as my partner is gluten free and somtimes we have to prepare her meals. I foulnd out we were staying in a Bronze apartment which were supposed to be not as updated as the silver and the gold apartments but found it was very comfotable, very clean and very spacious especially if your a family like us.
The next morning we were greeting by a member of staff for our welcome meeting. When they say the welcome meeting is only 60 minutes it was actually shorter then this. They showed us around the resort and also asked if we were interested in joing their members club, we said no as we like to holiday in different destinations they shook our hand and said have a wonderfull holiday we were not pestered and they went out of their way to make our holiday the best holiday we experienced ever.
The kids would love to come back as they had so much fun with so much to do we should of stayed 2 weeks.
Malta on a whole is a beautiful island we so much to offer, if you like history its definitely a place worth visiting, if your a family this hotel is in the best loacation for transport, entertainment and affodable resturants are all in the area.
Thanks Salina we will be back one day.

Derek Huppel-Berry

3 Thank Berry186338
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We are a family of 5 who have been recently looking for a holiday home. Clearly timeshare is an option and we were interested to look at this. Having been recommended Malta, I took up the offer of a promotional week at Salina Wharf with high hopes. I confirmed dates for July back in February after checking availability for a 2 bed 'Gold' apartment. I was given date options and duly rang back within 2 hours having booked flights with Air Malta. Our 'Gold' apartment was secured and I sat back looking forward to all that the CSW staff and website promised.

We arrived the day before my daughter's 16th birthday, full of excitement and refreshed from a delightful flight with complimentary meals and drinks courtesy of Air Malta. Brand new Arriva buses had just replaced the famous, but highly dangerous, old yellow buses. For a meagre 40 Euros, we bought 7 day passes for the whole family for unlimited travel at the airport desk, and boarded the air conditioned, tinted windowed X3 bus which would take us (and all our luggage!) all the way to Qawra. The driver was friendly, smartly outfitted in a proper uniform and over the course of the journey, I discovered, spoke at least 3 languages! What a great first experience for our holiday in Malta. The nearest bus stop (by the Sunnycoast Hotel) was less than 5 minutes walk with wheeled luggage to Salina Wharf and we arrived, warm and happy at 7pm.

Unfortunately after lugging our bags around this rather poorly designed aparthotel, we found ourselves not in the lap of luxury as promised, but in a rather basic, small, 1 bed apartment which consisted of: a living area with sofa bed (not made up); a table and 4 chairs (for the 5 of us?); a tiny kitchen with a hole through the wall to the living area for borrowed light (no window); a small balcony; a bathroom complete with black mould in every crevice which had no extractor and energy saving lights which barely lifted the gloom , its window was situated in a void space shared with another apartment's bathroom window facing it about 2 feet away and from which we were regularly treated to the noises and smells of male ablutions; and a 'master' bedroom with a super-king bed. The large top cover on the bed hid the reality of it being two single beds, SEPARATELY MADE UP with single bedding and pushed together! I travel a lot and have of course come across super-king size beds being made up of two 3' mattresses, however, these are normally zip-together types which are then made up with super-king bedding. The bedding itself was a polyester mix sheet laid directly onto a plasticised mattress, rather as I remember from a hospital stay. It was sweaty and uncomfortable to sleep on. The one, erroneous attempt to cuddle my husband that week resulted in a disastrous separation of the beds opening up like the San Andreas Fault!

Obviously, we thought they had sent us to the wrong room, but after much exhausting argument and being offered a 2 bed 'room of doom' (Room 119, a dark, damp and practically underground cave) the rep squeezed another bed into the living area of the one bed apartment we'd been given first and we went back to room 212 to set up camp. We couldn't unpack as there was nowhere to put anything, My daughter was in tears as the dreams of her 16th birthday were all horribly dashed.

The next day, feeling ragged, we were obliged to speak to the salesman, 'John'. He launched into a patter of telling us how brilliant Salina Wharf is, after giving us some rather dubious tourist information (much of which I found out was wrong after reading my lonely planet guide later on!). He informed us that our apartment booking mistake would be rectified the following day and gave us a tour of the gold show apartment. Having been shown 2 apartments already, and being canny enough to peer in to the open doors of apartments being cleaned, I have to say, I suspect that this show apartment is the only one decorated to such a good standard! If you were to buy in on the strength of this room, I think you may find it impossible to actually book one like it and that you would end up with the type we stayed in, in rooms 212 and later, 215. Evenso, the big bed was still made up of pushed together singles with but a synthetic sheet between you and a waxed mattress!

Needless to say, our experience of an inadequate booking system, coupled with serious issues of fitting and furnishing quality made all the frantic 'telling' pointless. We had been amply 'shown' the reality of Club Salina Wharf.

We resigned ourselves after losing 3 hours of my daughter's birthday to this pointless sales exercise, to make the most of the day left and took a bus to explore the island. There are lots of eateries at reasonable prices as long as you like pasta, pizza or the British seaside menu every day of your life! We found the best value fresh produce and table water in Mosta, a short bus journey away. The new Arriva bus station at Bugibba was less than 10 minutes walk away and although very busy, offered buses going everywhere, including up to the ferry port for day trips to Gozo which I would highly recommend if you feel the need to escape the Qawra/Bugibba area with all its crowds, karaoke bars, thumping music and the jagged rocks of the nearby 'beach'.

Swimming in the Med is very pleasant and we did lots of this. It would have been nice to use the hotel pool, but we prefer to swim at an hour when the sun will not tear sheets off your back, so a pre-breakfast dip is usually in order when we stay at a hotel, or a delightful swim under the stars on a balmy summer's evening. This normal holiday routine of swimming between 7 and 9am or 6 'til 10pm is something we all look forward to. Sadly, this is not possible at Salina Wharf as the pool is only open from 9am til 6pm! The indoor pool is open later, but rather defeats the object of being in a warm country and the stench of chlorine in the pool room air was choking.

The persistent night time 'entertainment' in the bar was overly loud and could be heard clearly inside our room well past the children's (and our!) bed time. When that finally stopped, the party just went on (and on) in the town outside. Dogs barking and the daily rubbish trucks would ensure that your late night was complimented with a very early wake up call. If you need to sleep for more than 4 hours a night, I would not recommend this area!

I would gladly return to Malta though, as it is now enjoying the fruits of European Social Fund grants galore. There is culture, history, crafts (world class glass, silver filigree, leather and lace), beautiful cities, rugged yet gentle countryside and of course, sun and sea galore. I cannot ever think of a reason however, to trust precious family holiday time to Club Salina Wharf, or indeed, to ever revisit Qawra!

7 Thank Helsbiggerpicture

Travellers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We were called by them in February this year saying they were offering a special promotion for guests who had had problems with previous stay to try their newly refurbished rooms for £150 for a week with no utililty charge on the condition that you attend a welcome meeting (obviously to sell timeshare or upgrade to you)
We booked a week in October this year and we paid half of the money in march with the rest to be paid in a couple of months time.

My partner has since lost his job, so i emailed the hotel to ask for our money back as we will not be able to go. The hotel emailed back saying it was not refundable but would keep it open for 12 months for us or a family member.

We were not told this was non refundable, we cancelled 4 months prior to the date, the hotel have no right to keep this money. Not happy so be warned anyone else who takes up this offer

Linden Chance and Christine Cash

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank charities2
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I agreed this booking at a "special rate" which was reasonable and on condition that I attended a "welcome meeting". This I agreed to and I was advised that we would be collected at the airport by a representative of the Complex. We arrived after midnight and there was no one waiting to collect us. I called Salina Wharf and was told that they had no record of the reservation. We got our own taxi in the end and at reception the same information was confirmed. (We later found out that the booking had been made for 2012, although I had quoted 2011 in my correspondence).

They agreed to put us in a room for the night and told us to follow this up the next morning. The room was below ground level and although it looked presentable, smelled very musty. The next day they showed us another room which was only slightly musty, but in generally good condition, clean and modern. There was a leak from the toilet cistern and the shower seal was broken. We kept this room for the week. On day 3, a note appeared under the door that invited us to meet John the next morning at 10am. He seemed surprised to see us, and this was looking like another 'mix-up'. Undaunted, he launched into the Mr Matey routine of a time share seller. I went along with this as I had agreed to a "welcome meeting". After some considerable time during which he refused to name a price for this venture, he called over his boss whose job it was to close the sale and deliver the price. When it was clear that we were not interested, they became quite off-hand, and were totally against us having any time to ourselves to contemplate this deal. I was put off by their unprofessional behaviour to say the least.

We didn't let this spoil our stay although it did leave a nasty taste in the mouth. The Salina Wharf staff were excellent, helpful and friendly. The quality of the complex was OK although we did not use the restaurant as there was not often a vegetarian option available.

I enjoyed Malta but would not rush back at this time of year as the heat can be oppressive if you want to move around and explore, and the lack of sandy beaches was for me a down side. If I did go back, I would not particularly choose this place above any other. The pool area is a little cramped and the balcony space is small and likely to have no view.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Avidtravid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#6 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 16 in Qawra

Been to Club Salina Wharf? Share your experiences!