“Very bad start to a great holiday”
Review of Club Salina Wharf

Club Salina Wharf
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Very bad start to a great holiday”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I booked a week at Salina Wharf in May 2014 through Thomas Cook.
After a very early 1am start from the UK for airport check in at 3am, we were tired and looking forward to a shower and a sleep when we got to the hotel at 10am. We were told our room would not be ready until 4pm and given the key to the luggage room downstairs. As it was hot we needed to change clothes and had to do this in the cramped luggage room with people coming and going, not ideal.
We decided to go out and find some food but having just walked out of the hotel we were accosted by a cockney woman who invited us back inside for "a free drink and a chat about places to go". I am not a naive person so immediately asked is this timeshare? She said "no, we are based in the hotel, no one does timeshare"
You can guess what happened next. We were held captive for over an hour by Realistix Solutions, very unprofessional people who kept asking us the same questions and not getting to the point. When I finally clicked this was a holiday club scheme and asked what the fee was, indicating that I was not interested and wanted to go for food, they kept going over the same spiel and very tediously working through their shabby brochure and script. We finally walked away after an hour and a half, still not having been told what the fee was.
So - at 3pm we asked about a room and were told it was ready. It was on the third floor, and immediately smelled really badly of damp and there were mould stains on the wall. I went for a shower and found that the bathroom door did not fit the frame and would not shut.
My wife said she was going to reception to take back a mouldy picture that was on the bedroom wall, unknown to me she complained bitterly about the room to the receptionist, and became quite upset as the stresses of the day got to her. Receptionist panicked and went to get the manager. He showed her to a much better apartment on the ground floor which was in a much better condition and from then on we had a good holiday, Malta is a lovely place with lots of interesting things to do. But this review is about the hotel. We didn't eat in the bar or use the pool so I can't comment on them.
As we were being driven back to the airport our (English) driver asked us what we thought of "the timeshare hotel" so it is widely known that they operate from there.
So - if you book here, make sure you get one of the good rooms, and don't be enticed by the timeshare reps hanging around reception, and you should be OK.........
To the hotel - timeshare reps should not be allowed to pounce on weary guests who have not even been allocated a room yet, it reflects badly on you. And please do something about the mouldy rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pete C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Myself and my partner have just returned from the most amazing stay in Malta, we decided on a visit as we are looking to move out to this beautiful island away from crazy London (it was that beautiful we've decided to bring the move forward by a year). We decided on the Club Salina mainly due to comments on here, the hotel had taken the time to respond to peoples comments which I think shows how much the hotel values the guests feedback.

I cannot fault the Club Salina at all, I work in a hotel myself so I find I am extremely fussy and a nightmare when choosing somewhere to stay (my other half is very fussy also think he is more of a nightmare than me)!! unfortunately working in the industry you tend to find more faults than most haha. I contacted prior to arrival and asked for a quiet room as I am a light sleeper, the hotel got back to me promptly and promised to help as much as they could be giving a more secluded room... thank you so much for this the room was perfect and we heard no noise all week :-) We found the hotel throughout to be extremely clean and tidy from reception, to all outside areas and our room was spotless and maintained all week, with fresh towels daily. The hotel offer’s fantastic facilities and the option of both outdoor and indoor pool is great, the indoor pool also open quite late which is fantastic if you've been out sightseeing all day and fancy a relaxing swim when you return. Apartments were spacious, well equipped, as mentioned very clean, perfect for couple or family holidays.

I mostly have to thank the reception staff, I am most upset I did not write the ladies names down so I can thank personally... they are a credit to the company I know a few members were new and in training but they are doing an amazing job, very helpful, went the extra mile and advised on things to do and the best way to travel around the island. Always polite and willing to go the extra mile to help and assist.

Location wise there is lots of restaurants, bars, shops, the hotel is so centrally located its perfect. If you do walk down the promenade there is not as many shops and restaurants but if you walk down the side streets there is "tourist street" which is completely full of everything... it did take us several days to find this because we walked the long way round enjoying the sea view :-) and did not realise there was so much on offer. Best restaurant in the area we found was Luzzu which was on the sea front about a five minute walk from the hotel, the service was the best we received in Malta and the food was delicious and so fresh. Highly recommended.

As people have mentioned best way to travel is by local bus service, very cheap and the tickets take you all over the island and can be used as many times you want in a day… hop on and hop off service. Sundays due to a limited Sunday service the buses still operate but seemed to be much busier, we found if the first bus that appeared was completely full to burst, we waited for the next one which always seemed to appear 5 mins later and was much emptier. The bus terminal is about a 5-10 min walk from the hotel anyway, if you take the bus from here it’s the first stop its picks up from so easier to get a seat. We also found the taxi transfer service from the airport to be reasonable and loads of taxi’s waiting, you pay at a kiosk a flat rate for the area you wish to travel too, so the taxi drivers cannot make up prices.

Highly recommend taking a day trip to GOZO … local bus service takes you to the ferry terminal, the ferry service is approx. 20 minutes journey and cost about 5 euros each for a return journey and the ferry runs 24hrs.

Want to take the opportunity again to thank Club Salina for a fantastic stay, we will definitely recommend you to everyone we know and will stay with you again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Annemarie H
Clubsalinawharf A, Front Office Manager at Club Salina Wharf, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Guests

We thank you for the positive review in regards to Club Salina Wharf, and are extremely pleased that you have enjoyed your holiday here and found the Hotel to be clean and well maintained!!

I will pass your good comments to the reception staff, as they always take note when someone praises them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or pass my email (marilynn@clubsalina.com) to any of your friends who would like to holiday here, I will most certainly be most happy to assist you.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here 30th April - 4th May, we had a lovely apartment ( 406 ) it had everything we needed
in it. Our maid Sandra did a 1st class job and we always had fresh towels.
We ate twice in the restaurant and Rita cooked a wicked carbonara.
This a well run property so to the management keep up the good work.
Graham & Julie Jervis

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mr & Mrs Jervis

We are glad to hear that everything met your expectations during your Holiday here at Club Salina Wharf.

Many thanks for taking time to post about your experience on Trip advisor, its reviews like yours that makes our work worthwhile.

Please do contact me directly should you wish to visit Club Salina Wharf again on my email marilynn@clubsalina.com

Caithness and Sutherland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just returned from a week in the Salina Wharf and bearing in mind some earlier reviews must say we were very pleasantly surprised.
The apartment was very well equipped, spotlessly clean and regularly cleaned with clean towels provided (towels for the swimming pool available free (deposit) from reception).
All of the Staff very pleasant and helpful.
On site facilities good with an outdoor pool for daytime plus an indoor pool for evenings (up to 22:00) both have plenty of sun beds to lounge about on.
Did not use the bar or dining facilities as we either ate out or ate in apartment. but others that we spoke to had no complaints.
Bugibba/Quarra is a good area to use as a base to see all the sights in Malta and there are plenty of good places to eat locally also good supermarkets locally to buy any food or drink that you need (all within easy walking distance), there are the usual touts but no worse than any other resort annoying thing is that the expats are the worst as they do not seem able to understand the words not interested (on more than one occasion I almost resorted to other words) this does not apply to the local Maltese who ask once and accept a polite no thank you.
It should be noted that while we were staying construction works are being undertaken on a building opposite the complex and this can be a bit noisy occasionally, also there are road widening works being undertaken on the opposite side of the bay where large rock breakers are being used and if the wind is in the wrong direction they do create quite a lot of noise from 08:00 onwards but this is completely outside of the control of the complex and did not cause us to much of a problem.
The best way to get around Malta is by the local bus service and even better is the 7 day ticket price has dropped from 13 to 6.50 Euro since last September be aware though the the buses can be very busy at certain times of the day, my tip is where possible try and use the various bus stations (one within reasonable walk of the complex) around the island that way you are usually first on the bus so get a seat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoHaz
SeanCachia14, Manager at Club Salina Wharf, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear JoHaz,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you correctly pointed out, our Housekeeping Department are very efficient and hard working in ensuring that the complex is always clean and ensuring the apartments are spotless. Our staff at Club Salina Wharf are trained in hospitality and understand the importance of always providing excellent customer service. In view of the minor disturbance that you experienced from the works across the other side of the road, we are pleased to hear that it did not affect your holiday. In actual fact, we have been informed that the work will stop in a just a few weeks time. I would like to thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will return to see us in the near future. Thanks, Sean
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Hotel is suited for the older generation or with young families. My children are aged 4 and 7 and we went with a family with children aged 2,5,8, if we went alone then my children would have been bored.
The hotel bar/restaurant serves really delicious food and at reasonable prices. The kids particularly loved Malcolm, the bar tender. Entertainment was poor but we were at the end of the winter season so things may look up.
Rooms were cleaned daily and towels/linen changed frequently. Rooms are adequate, bathroom could do with an upgrade. Had to leave towels on the floor as they get completely soaked when taking a shower.
Outside pool was clean although the indoor one could do with a good clean and shower area to be finished.
Overall a good little hotel if you like the quiet life.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank donwoir
Clubsalinawharf A, Manager at Club Salina Wharf, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Guest

We thank you for taking time to write about your stay at Club Salina wharf on Trip advisor

We are happy to note that our Bar and Restaurant met your high expextations and will certainly be passing on your good comments to the Bar Staff.

Club Salina wharf as you said is ideal for the older generation and families, even though in summer we are packed with pool acitvites and entertainment every night,

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to book at Club Salina Wharf again on my email ; marilynn@clubsalina.com

Forli, Italy
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Well we stayed at Salina Wharf last week the accodation wasn't to bad but we did an exchange from are timeshare in New York we never ever get as good as standards as we expect on arrival when we checked in there was a young blonde on the reception who really didn't have a clue she was rude and when we told her about are first apartment had dirty running water and there was a bad damp she just said well there all the same the apartments thank god for the other staff that where very helpful will not come back here again

Room Tip: Corner suites large