“san antonio and spa hotel”

db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just come back form our holiday to Malta and we spent 9 days at San Antonio and Spa hotel in Bugibba, Malta. It is a really nice hotel which offers nice facilities, such as two outdoor swimming pools, an indoor swimming pool, a gym and a wellness centre. The bus terminal is close to the hotel and there are also a lot od shops and restaurants in the nearby, The room was comfortable and large enough for four people. We highly recommend this hotel also for families.

2  Thank silvio552

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I usually love this hotel. Having stayed here many times before I was looking forward to returning and to seeing the new upgrades/refurbishment to the hotel. I thought the building work would have been finished for the peak season....I was wrong.
On the plus side: the new adults-only roof-top pool is now open (and it's lovely, with a spectacular view of St Paul's Bay). The mattresses on the beds are very comfortable and have good quality mattress protectors on them. The AC units and ceiling fans in the rooms work much better than they ever did. The extended entertainments lounge is a huge bonus - previously the 'artistes' had to perform outdoors, poolside, and so there was little peace and quiet until midnight if you were in a sea-view room. The restaurant where breakfast is served has been extended making it slightly less of a bun-fight in the mornings when trying to get to the self-service counters. There's a kettle and tea and coffee in the rooms (yay - they used to charge to hire a kettle!). There's a good-sized safe (free of charge) in the room which fits a full-sized laptop in it. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and have a funky Moroccan theme to them.

It all sounds lovely, doesn't it? And it would be if the hotel was finished! I'm disappointed that db have been greedy enough to open the doors and give their customers such a poor experience - obviously they don't expect their guests to return!

The bad points: db must have added at least 250 rooms to this hotel and yet only put in one additional lift - a lot of queuing and lifts breaking-down on a regular basis. There's a lot of damp-patches in the hotel (I believe because they thought they could put the roof on tomorrow.....tomorrow came, and it rained!), meaning there is a damp/musty smell in most of the corridors. There is dust and rubble in a lot of the corridors. There are a lot of loose wires hanging down, both in the corridors and in the rooms (see pictures). There is a lot of work still going on - yesterday morning we were woken to drainage holes being drilled into the tiles around the pool, and drilling and banging from the poolside bar that is still under construction. Some of the pool features are not yet in operation (the bubble pool and the baby pool) and although the roof-top pool is now open the walls on parts of the roof have yet to be constructed. The fixtures and fittings are shoddy - the bathroom door did not close, the taps were fitted the wrong way (hot for cold and vice-versa) and there was still a dust-sheath covering the smoke alarm in our room!

This *will* be a lovely hotel when the works are finished. Don't book until 2015!

Room Tip: Wait until 2015. Then book a seaview.
7  Thank trainsandpiers
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Am staying at the hotel till 27th July with my family.
We were a little concerned about staying here after reading the reviews and we were half expecting to be walking into a building site but its a million miles away from that. There is work being done but it has had no impact on our stay here. We are in room 481 and we are more than happy. The pool area is lovely with plenty of sunbeds. The staff are all really friendly and professional. We are staying half board and im impressed with the food choices at breakfast and evening meal so far. The room is clean and is cleaned daily.
If you have booked to stay here in the next month or so have no worries about the renovations of the hotel and instead look forward to having a fantastic time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 21 July 2014

stayed at the san antonio from 26th june till 10th july although it is a lovely hotel just been all done up we were there last year and it was a better holiday by far the reception staff were far from friendly or helpful we had workers in our room on 2 days 3hrs each day,The electricity went off twice the first time from 10 pm till 11am with no air conditioning ,3 days in a row the toilet would not flush for about 1 hr each time, the lifts were breaking down every day and the couple that were working were being used by the men working on the roof where there was a lot of banging and grinding so all in all a terrible holiday. We stayed here last and it was far superior.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank john w
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel in itself is rather pleasant but there is building work going on constantly, apparently they have spent €30 million on the refurbishment yet there are buckets placed around the hotel to catch leaks and there are damp patches around the walls and ceiling. The corridor carpets have not been cleaned since we arrived 6 days ago and we have invariably had to wait until mid-late afternoon for the rooms to be cleaned. The breakfasts and evening dinners are very pleasant and the restaurant staff are very efficient, the lunch times however leave a little to be desired with a lack of choice when it comes to the food options. We have booked an all inclusive package but that does not cover even half the drinks menu and if you want a snack throughout the day you half to pay extra, even with the all inclusive. We have enjoyed our week but there seem to be more cons than pros to this hotel unfortunately. Saying this is a 4* hotel is stretching it a little I'm afraid. As for the resort of Bugibba there are lots of people on the sea front trying to scam you into looking at apartments for a free boat trip, alcohol or cigarettes but don't be fooled by them, just a load of tosh.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline W
Reviewed 20 July 2014

i just stayed at the san antonio hotel and had a wonderful time what a beautiful hotel and so friendly. I will definitely be returning there is a little bit of building works but nothing could tear me away from the infinity pool on the roof how lovely it is. The food was great and who ever
redesigned this hotel done a great job the reception flooring and carving is beautiful. I think some travellers have been over critical in there reviews my advice is relax and enjoy the facilities you will have a grt time cant wait to go back. A grt variety of food lots of mediterranean dishes and some maltese dishes too beautiful selection of salads.

Room Tip: please have a sea view as the view behind the hotel is that grt
3  Thank Dawn M
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've just got back from an 8 day stay at the San Antonio and although there is still work going on in relation to the hotels major upgrade my family and I left there with a promise to return later in the year when the works will be completed.
We had an easy journey to Malta and were relieved to arrive at the hotel in the early evening. There was only a short wait to check in and the young man on reception insisted on getting our bags taken up to the room for us even though we would have been happy to take them ourselves.
The room was on the 6th floor and was comfortable and well laid out. Once the air con kicked in the room reached a comfortable temperature quite quickly. The shower pressure was excellent and there was no shortage of hot water.
The choice of food at breakfast was really good and on the occasions we stayed in for evening meals the food was well prepared and presented.
There's no getting away from the fact that there are quite a lot of workmen in the hotel but perhaps it's because I am a tradesman myself I didn't find any of the work intrusive or overly noisy. My wife and kids didn't complain either and they are not usually slow at letting me know if something's not to their liking.
My wife and daughter enjoyed the aqua gym while number one son and I explored the local area at every opportunity with number two son doing his best to charm some impressionable female guests with stories about his latest trip to Africa.
Getting a drink took a little longer than I would have liked but if you didn't wait until you finished one before ordering the next there was no great problem.
My wife and I used the infinity pool a couple of times and the views there were great.
The staff were really friendly and if they didn't know the answer to our enquiry straight away they went out of their way to find out. We hadn't booked a car and when we asked the receptionist if she could recommend a car hire firm she immediately got on the phone and within an hour we had a car delivered to the hotel by a local firm.
I knew before we left the UK that the hotel would not be finished and I must admit I was more than a little worried by some of the reviews I read prior to arriving.
I have given the hotel an excellent rating on the strength of the service we received during our stay. I am not a very lucky bloke at the best of times. If there was one cow pat in a 20 acre field I would probably step in it. Perhaps we were just lucky we avoided some of the dramas I've read in other reviews but I would prefer to think it was the attitude and willingness to help exhibited by the staff that made our stay so enjoyable.

7  Thank Mark L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#7 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra

Been to db San Antonio Hotel + Spa? Share your experiences!