“Exactly what we needed”

db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We were very worried about staying at this hotel after reading all the reviews but our experience was totally different. We had a duplex room which was great for 2 adults & 2 teenagers. The room was clean & modern, & our cleaner was so sweet & helpful. We arrived early due to our flight but the Hotel stored our bags, gave us our towel cards & our all inclusive bands so no time was lost from enjoying our break. The dining room staff were efficient & polite, the dining room itself was spotless & kept so throughout our stay. The food range was fantastic especially for a family who have one veggie, one person wheat & gluten intolerant & one with a nut allergy. As we were all inclusive we were able to enjoy a wide range of drinks throughout the day & all the bar staff, in all the different bars were great. The army of cleaners who cleaned the pool area every morning was impressive & we were very impressed with how clean the hotel was kept. The roof terrace pool was a peaceful break for us adults & a fantastic view!

We didn't hear a single builder our entire trip & certainly no evidence of building work where we were situated.

If I was going to be picky - I cannot see the need for some guests to buy such huge inflatables to use in the pool, it seemed rather inconsiderate to others. But that's the guests fault & not the hotels.

We had a lovely time & if I want a restful all-inclusive holiday again I would go back.

Room Tip: The Duplex rooms were great for a family with teenagers.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank HP6642
dbSanAntonioHotel, Public Relations Manager at db San Antonio Hotel + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear HP6642,

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are happy to hear that you will reconsider our hotel. We hope to have this opportunity in the near future to host you and your relatives.

There are newer reviews for db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Although the hotel wasn't horrendous it misses it's 4* rating by a mile.
The previous visitor stating that the restaurant is like school dinners gives a perfect description. We tried breakfast once and once only. The food hall is packed. You have to spot a table then run and get your food in the hope that your space isn't taken. The food is acceptable, you just have to find your own cutlery and condiments from another table (as instructed by staff) and then queue for your coffee for whilst your food gets cold.

The main pool is ok, but far too busy. There's an inch between each sunbed, if you're lucky enough to find one, and if you get stuck at the back there is pretty horrific gutter aroma to contend with. You could go to the pool bar, otherwise known as the small hole in the corner with no seating.

A typical trip to the spa involved a steam room with no steam, showers with no water, and a jacuzzi with no heat....but a nice indoor pool.

Combine this with the dozens of people crowding every communal area, the few hours without hot water, the 2 am false fire alarm, broken taps and lifts, plus the open maintenance hatch in our room ...and I think 4 star is a little generous to say the least.

Our room was nice otherwise, the staff were polite, and the spa treatments were good (when you could get one). Compare it to the 4* Dolmen hotel next door, and you can see the standard that this hotel should aspire to. It has a long way to go.

All in all it feels like and decent hotel, with too many people and not enough attention. I found out recently that the hotel has been extended to contain more people....clearly the hotel facilities and staff cannot compete with the extra numbers.

A classic case of a drop in standards to bring in more ££££!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel S
dbSanAntonioHotel, Public Relations Manager at db San Antonio Hotel + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your review and we welcome all your comments.

We are happy to hear that our staff was polite and the spa treatment was good. In fact, we have a big demand for our treatments with pre advance booking, which could be the reason why it was hard to find availability. Our spa is fully fuctioning, both sauna and steam room and it is always attended by our qualified staff who are always ready to assist you.

Furthermore, our Front Office, Housekeeping and Maintenance are always at our guest service to solve an issue that one encounter during their stay. So I invite any future guest to raise any issues that encounter with the respective personal to assure a qualitative service during your stay.

Whilst thanking you once more, we hope to have another opportunity to host you again at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have just returned from a 2 week trip with my daughter and granddaughter and my opinions are just based on my personal experiences at the hotel. This is my 3rd time at the hotel and the upgrading is looking very nice and a genuine 4 star.
Area- Bugibba is great and this hotel has an amazing location 10/10
Staff at hotel- if you smile and say 'Hello' first they are fab 9/10
Swimming pool (outdoor)- full tobursting with children but it was the holidays! Whatever was in the water bleaches your clothes and we threw our swimming stuff away as it had also turned yellow but a lovely pool overall 8/10
Kids Club- what kids club? Nothing provided for children 0/10
Animation team- saw them do aqua aerobics and water polo- all seemed friendly- but not much organised or provided 3/10
Kosy Bar- visited once- totally empty but took 10 mins to serve us-ordered Strawberry Daquiri but got strawberry syrup and ice.Disgusting. 0/10
House keeping- all the ladies very friendly and effecient but had far too much to do and more cleaners were needed. 8/10 for the cleaners 2/10 for their managers for giving them so much to do
Information for the guests- only a few leaflets available and staff didn't know what age was classed as child on the buses. Should be a lot better for 4* 3/10
Wi Fi- a bit hit and miss- my laptop couldn't connect, my daughter's IPad kept freezing. 4/10
Rooms- lovely and modern and roomy- main beds comfortable. I had to sleep in the child's bed and my hip replacement is now 5 years sooner!! Storage for a family holiday was poor- just 3 drawers and 2 shelves and that ugly open clother rail... Lovely bathroom and big balcony. Kettle and coffee/ tea suppies provided but table was unusable as you could't get your legs underneath. Bit too cluttered with extras- would have preferred more storage. 7/10
And now my 2 biggest gripes.........
Check-In- we arrived after a hideously early flight from the UK- great transistion through the airport and quick pick up and drop off. Then we had to wait 3 hours for our room.......NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The management need to get this sorted ASAP. There is NO reason why the rooms couldn't be cleaned as soon as the previous guests checked out- we handed our key to check out in at 7 45am so that room could have been cleaned and ready by 8 45am. We had also booked All Inclusive and had that printed on our paperwork but the reception told us we were Half Board and it was our problem to sort out. On return to the UK we were All Inclusive but the general unwillingness to do anything from the reception staff was disappointing- I had given them all the contact emails for the UK office and our reference numbers but they weren't interested in helping. Whilst waiting for our room we weren't given any room card for towels or drinks so we just had to sit and wait.2/10
MAIN RESTAURANT- difficult to get down to if you were in a wheelchair, or had a pushchair or were disabled. Toilets for that group of people also had to be accessed via a lift. Very often didn't open until 6 35pm. All staff lovely and worked hard. The one thing I will say about the food is that you couldn't go hungry but I thought the quality overall in the evening was quite poor. The restaurant clearly needs a fish chef and a pastry chef. The food was dry and overcooked- I only ate the fish- the fish was full of bones, dangerous for children to ea and on at least 2 occasions the fish was off. The roast potatoes were often cooked with meat (Iam a vegetarian). The potato croquettes wered dry and overcooked. the wedges dry, the mash was not fresh potato mashed. The vegetables were in interesting combinations but full of onions ( a lot of people can't have onions). The salad was often combined with onions. The bread/ rolls were dry. The salt cellars didn't work and if you opened them up to access salt were filthy. The glasses the drinks were served in were dirty. Some plates for food were dirty. The desserts were ok, but anything with pastry was rock hard. The silver dishes for the children's food often had lids so hot I'm surprised no-one burned themselves. The fish terrine was grey. I would rate as 2 or 3* food with elements of 4*. 4/10
Breakfast- was better than dinner- scrambled eggwas horrible, cooked with sour milk. At least twice a whole tray of burnt pastries was put out for guests. Juices in machine were the worst I have EVER tasted and even the water tasted horrible. 6/10

Would I stay here again? I have to say I'm really not sure butI wouldn't recommend it to friends based on the food alone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank AdeleLeger

Dear AdeleLeger,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your rates about our Hotel.

May I take this opportunity to clarify your major comments.

It is hotel policy that Check-in is at 3pm. This is clearly illustrated in our hotel description. Furthermore, although there might be few guests who check out earlier than 11am, it is very difficult to be able to match your room type booked with an early check out. You also have to take in consideration the time required to clean up a room, changing all sheets and be ready for the next guest.

Guests who arrive earlier than 3pm are given the possibility to deposit their luggages in our luggage room and acquire towel cards to go down and enjoy the pool until their room is ready.

You also had the opportunity to speak to the Duty Manager about your issue, as we would looked into it and solved it. But if the booking we received was on half board, the front office servants cannot upgrade your stay if it is not confirmed by their manager who would need to liaise with the reservation department.

Our Main restaurant is easily accessible with a lift which goes down from our reception level to the front door of the Gueliz Main Restaurant. As for our food, most of the mediterranean cuisine includes onions as one of our ingredients. We also provide alternative to those people who are allergic to a particular type of food. May i further say that when their is any issue with the food, our executive chef will look into it and address the problem instantly, if it is arised.

We are always ready to serve our guests and we are ready to find a solution to any issue that might arise during your stay.

If you require further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just back for 2 weeks in db San Antonio + Spa, I would recommend it to anyone. The rooms where comfortable,clean and spacious even with 3 adults and a child. We went for just bed and breakfast and the variety provided was excellent even for me cause I don't like breakfast! The pool was very clean and there were enough sun loungers for everyone. The staff were friendly polite and very helpful. On our first night the was a power cut on the whole island and the staff on reception were very apologetic and tried to help. If you have children the hotel is perfect, they're friendly and make them feel as if they are the most important guest they've had at the hotel. I only have 2 complaints and it's nothing that would stop you staying at the hotel, the first is the bathroom, the shower tray isn't high enough and the floor was flooded after every shower. And the other is the lifts, they can be quite unpredictable and slow but the stairs are easy enough to find.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole B

Dear Nicole B,

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We will pass your points to the management to look into them.

We hope to host you and your relatives in the near future.

Thanks and regards

Gordon

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel is fab and as a family very impressed with all the changes . This was our 4th visit and have seen many great changes over this time. Swimming pools are lovely and clean and animation team this year were the best ever. The shows they put on every night were fab and have been showing all our friends back home all the videos we took off the shows. Breakfast is great and evening meals good although I struggled on Maltese eve so ate locally. Can recommend the sailors arms to eat and Mary at melodys shop for trips and exchanging money. You get better rate over there than at home. Overall I recommend this hotel and look forward to my next visit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sarahlousurrey

Dear Sarahlousurrey,

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are happy to hear that you are recommending our hotel. We look forward to host you and your relatives in the near future.

Thanks and regards

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Yesterday we arrived back from Malta and we spent a week in this hotel. A little bit feared that the renovation work will still hold but positively disappointed. Only minor works - but not loud.
We enjoyed it very much. We had a "sea view" room. I highly recommend it for everybody.
Roof top pools were excellent with a beautiful panorama. Enough sunbeds.
Rooms are functionally furnished, the bed is very comfortable. Cleaning in our room was ok.
Small beach was within 100 meters. Nearby there are plenty of restaurants, shops and a grocery store.
We had only breakfast there which was okay for a week. Typical English breakfast, fruits, vegetables, cookies. We never had to wait or stand in line (we were always between 8-9).
Staff were friendly and polite. Internet was fast.
There were several little bad things (but these are really not big things):
1. Coffe (But in front of the hotel we found a nice cafe.)
2. Air condition is a little bit loud
3. Paying with American Express (we only use AmEx when travellig) was quite difficult. A few times they try to use it and then say our cards are invalid (1 hour earlier we used my card at the Budget car rental)! And they offer to pick up cash from an ATM. After we refused to take cash from an ATM the card somehow worked. Many times we experienced this. Hotels don't like so much AmEx (perhaps because of the high transaction costs) and they try to "play" with us.
In summary I highly recommend this hotel to everyone, for the AmEx card holders I advise to be persistent. :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank malnaimado

Dear Mainaimado,

Thank you for your review and recommendations.

We are happy to hear that you had a good week in Malta especially residing at our hotel. We will put forward your points to the management to look into them further.

We thank you once more for pointing out your issues. This will help in improving our service further. We hope we will have another opportunity to host you and your relatives in the near future.

Gordon

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for 10 nights in July 2014 and loved it! The hotel personnel and the animation team are great people, always in good mood and it was really nice to chatter and make fun with them.
The hotel is stylish, decorated Maroccon style, but modern. I knew there might be renovation work going on still, so I asked for a peaceful room high and as far away from the renovation work and bars as possible. This was taken into consideration, so we had peaceful nights and mornings.
The readjustments caused some disorganized operations, though. For instance, you couldn't order snacks at the rooftop pool, nor at the downstairs pools after 3 pm. At breakfast, it was somewhat disorganized as well.
But more importantly, there was always a lot of space to swim and play in the pools and relax on sunbeds.
Location is extremely convenient, as the bus station is nearby, as are the sea and the beach boulevard.

Room Tip: Ask to be high, away from possible renovation work and bars, if you wish to have peace and quiet in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TainaEspoo

Dear Matka-arvostelut,

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We will put forward your points to the Food & Beverage Manager to address your points and improve on your recommendations.

Thank you once more for your time to review our property and we hope to have the opportunity again to host you and your relatives in the near future.

Gordon Borg

Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#7 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to db San Antonio Hotel + Spa? Share your experiences!