“A great stay”
Review of Il Palazzin Hotel

Il Palazzin Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have previously put a negative review on here for a hotel in Manchester & honestly slated it as I was obviously annoyed & wanted people to be aware so they do not experience the same issues. Thereore I thought it only right to put a review on here if I have experienced a good hotel. We've just come back from spending a week at this hotel & can honestly say that it was a very enjoyable stay. It's a small chilled hotel with very good amenities, staff & food. Never any issue with the food - plenty of it, fresh & good choice/selection (not keen on the red Maltese breakfast sausages though). We could see that the pool was getting checked & cleaned/tested every morning. There is also a roof top enclosed pool & sun area. The room was clean & well presented. A good quality mattress & pillow on each bed, a fridge for your drinks plus an aircon unit. We used to leave it on all day so when we came back the room was very cool after a hot day out - it was effective & served it's purpose. The bathroom had a bath with a shower hose off the mixer tap which I thought would be poor but I was wrong, it has plenty of power. The cleaners would aknowledge you as you went down to breakfast & obviously recognised which room you were in so that every time we came back from breakfast the room had been made up. Maybe the Wi-fi should be free but I'd have no doubt that if so, that cost would be built in/added to your room price. It was however available for 1 euro a day which as Simon the Manager said to me, 'we have made it as cheap as we possibly could'. (we met a couple staying at a nearby hotel who said they were paying 6 euros a day for thier Wi-Fi). We used the Wi-Fi on the last day & had no problems with it. Each floor has it's own wi-fi point/address to help with the signal & speed. The staff in general were very polite, friendly & helpful. In my opinion the general feel of a hotel (or any supermarket/organisation etc ) is a direct reflection of how the General Manager Manages/runs that hotel. When you meet & talk to Simon then you know why this is such a pleasant, relaxed well run hotel - he has worked there all his working life & he cares! There had been building works across the road but the local authority has stopped it until the end of the holiday season due to the noise & complaints from the hotel.
My opinion in summary is that this is a very good value for money, well located, relaxed & friendly hotel with good food & amenities. I booked this hotel back in April this year based on the reviews I read on here & the price. It was also ranked as 2nd best hotel in the area. Well I'm glad I did. Would I stay here again & would I recommend it? Of course I would, no negatives from me. Thanks to Simon & his staff for a very pleasant & enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gary J

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just back from Il Palazzin. By Malta standards, this is a very good hotel. It is spotlessly clean, has a lovely ph balanced outdoor pool (& an indoor pool that I didn't try but heard good reports of). My room, a double for single use, overlooking the pool, had everything I could need. The staff were very friendly and obliging. I found the bed very comfortable as I like a firm matress. In all, 13 of us travelled to Qawra, staying in different hotels and apartments. Everyone on the trip thought Il Palazzin outshone the others (which were considerably more expensive, i.e. Park Lane & Salina Wharf). The staff on reception were very helpful arranging transport and late checkout etc. The manager, Simon, was constantly on hand, introducing himself to guests and going out of his way to ensure everyone had a lovely stay.

Well done and thank you to all the staff at Il Palazzin.

Room Tip: Qawra is a good location for families or more mature holidaymakers. Lost of lovely restaurants, lov...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 544Olive_P
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Smallish hotel, good location. Nice bar and good breakfast. Not noisy apart from the daytime when there is a building site active next door. Pools fine. The décor is tired and needs a makeover. Charging a daily extra for slow Wi-Fi these days is not right. The bed was not good at all. Just a solid wood plinth with a mattress on top. Aircon in the room is weedy and failed completely one night. Pleasant enough staff, always happy to help. All in all a satisfactory stay. Would I stay there again? NO. Would I recommend to a friend? NO.

Room Tip: Try a bigger hotel down the road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hotthread
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We already stayed in this hotel so it was easy when it came to choose a place to spend a week with all our family and friends, we were 14 people of all ages in all and none of us found anything wrong about the hotel, I have to thank the general manager Simon although he was very busy he still found time to make us feel welcome and all the staff beginning from the girls at the reception Alison and Roselin that took care of our every need, the cleaners that everyday cleaned our rooms, Justin the bar attendant that took care of us most of the days in such an excellent way always with a smile on his face, the chefs for there delicious food, James the restaurant manager whose a really nice person to know always attentive to all the guests and all his staff which do their jobs so efficiently,well, we had a fantastic time like always so we wish to thank all of them!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debby A
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very friendly staff, great room with sea views. Room was fairly basic but clean and light and had a fridge. Very good choice and quality of food. Broadband in the room did not work but I had the money refunded.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S E
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel just simply is the perfect place to stay. We stayed a year previously and unbelievably we were remembered and expected when we arrived. It was simply wonderful that anyone could remember 2 guests who had stayed 12 months previously and set us up for the perfect start to the holiday. We had even been allocated a room with a sea view especially - what could be better!

The hotel is in a great location, literally a 5 minute walk from the centre, there are some nice bars even closer, yet it is quiet and peaceful. The rooms have all that is needed and are clean and with plenty of storage space, also a safe for valuables. The cleaning staff cannot be faulted and are highly attentive to detail.

Even if you are not staying here, the buffet is well recommended. The chefs are superb and all the food is regularly taken away and changed for fresh. The same applies at breakfast too, and the choice is amazing. The staff in the restaurant are great too, nothing is too much trouble and they do all that they can to accommodate you. The restaurant manager even volunteered to open the restaurant early for us on our day of departure so that we wouldn't feel rushed. It is things like this that illustrate just how much the staff in this hotel want their guests to have a good stay.

The staff at Il Palazzin are wonderful. They can't do enough to help, nothing is too much trouble, and they love to see happy guests. The hotel certainly grades, in our opinion, a far higher rating than its official one. Come and stay here, you certainly won't be disappointed.

Thank you to all the staff for another wonderful stay in Malta.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have seen are nice, but our sea view this time was lovely
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank berylthesilverperil
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked this hotel having looked at many reviews for many many hotels and aw we were traveling as a family of 5 both value and facilities came into it. We had rooms 515 and 516 - top floor, really great view of the bay - 515 had a lovely balcony for reading etc and 516 had a lovely big bay window with no balcony - good for our children as I would not rest with worry that they may be out there messing - as children do. We found lovely bottles of wine and water in our room upon our arrival. The pool outside was good - small in high season maybe if every guest wants to get in -nice seating area but does get quite deep quite quickly. I did see some bad reports about the breakfast etc but to be honest - for the rates charged for our stay we thought it was very good. Lovely bread and rolls, hot drinks, cereals, some hot choices - lovely staff - the juice may not have been just squeezed and the fruit salad may have been from a tin but Malta is a small island and these things come at a premium - we found that most places we ate in did not have fresh cream etc in the cakes etc that we would expect at home - but then we did not see any cows on the island either!
The hotel roof terrace is really good - lovely sun trap and the view is fantastic - don't miss going up to have a look. The hotel arranged a harbour cruise for us in Valetta and that was one of the highlights of our trip. Really gives you an appreciation for the island and its people. Don't miss that either. Our kids used the WiFi - got weekly codes for it and they thought it was really good - think they had just had it all upgraded. The only thing that was not good was the ground works that were going on across from the hotel - not their fault, nothing they could do about them - but the noise was disturbing, you would not have a late lie in!! but everyone seemed to be up and out really early for day trips etc so they were done for the day by the time people came back. Get the bus pass - for 7.50 for a full week its great value - but do expect to be left standing a lot of time as everyone uses the bus.
I would recommend this hotel for people who want to see lots of Malta, who do not want to stay in their hotel being entertained all day - not great for small children. We enjoyed our stay, lovely staff and a star in Simon the Manager - anything you need he will sort out for you. We stayed for 10 days early June .

Room Tip: The top floor 515 is really good - great view and lovely balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Park Lane Aparthotel
#6 of 15 in Qawra
Salini Resort
Salini Resort
#1 of 13 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Il Palazzin Hotel? Share your experiences!