“Won't be returning!”
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My only advice to anyone going to this hotel is to avoid going there when there are international students there. When we were there, there were crowds of them. Our room was next to the lift and the noise every night with students coming and going all night long was desperate. Also when they arrived into the pool the horseplay was terrible. There was nobody watching them and I was quite worried for my little girl's safety when they were in the pool.
The location is a bit dodgy looking with broken pavements and run down looking streets.
The food in the restaurant was quite good and lots of it. I couldn't find anything that my daughter would eat and there was a lovely waitress who used to get her ice cream every evening, as it isn't out for general consumption.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Leeagh

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Arriving at the hotel late at night we were welcomed into an art nouveau styled reception. In its day this hotel would have been ranked highly but is now looking tired. Beds were basic but comfy if you slept on top of the duvet. Rooms were cleaned early every day with beds made up and clean (if rather worn) towels.
The food was hot, the plate rack hotter and my son in law burned his finger on the exposed element.the indoor pool was quiet and clean but the jacuzzi could not tempt me without being scrubbed first. The sauna had sat dormant over the winter, the spiders webs were proof of that. The staff were an unusual mixture and Faulty Towers was the nick name given by the "long stay" guests.

Room Tip: Higher floors, lower numbers to avoid a long walk through a maze of corridors
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim R
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Wife and I were booked into this hotel in June, waited 2 hours in the lobby to get allocated a room. well, the room was not good, the sheets on the bed were stained, the pillows were stained, the shower sealant was all black , the shower did not work. and the handbasin was cracked. Went down to ask the rep to get us another room, surprise surprise, the rep does not call on that day. got on to management, no other rooms, but for £35 each they would transfer us to the hotel Qawra Palace, 200 yards away, down at the beach. Malta itself is a lovely island, we hired a car and went from top to bottom, but the best has to be Valetta Harbour, simply stunning. Back to the Canifor Hotel, OK, we did not pay a fortune for our break, But people have a right to expect basic standards of cleanliness in their accommodation. Bleach is cheap !

Room Tip: Don't !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Old G
Reviewed 2 March 2014

over booking is habitual we have never seen so many rows in one place stayed coldest week of the year ok if you are in a room where heating actually works manager called me a liar but refused to come to the room sent security who was brill asked every night if fixed and logged it for repair left yesterday still waiting for repair gave up asking for change of room or hotel by Wednesday food poor staff unhelpful in every aspect except for security housekeeping and especially clifton in the downstairs bar always has a smile pleasant and friendly stayed in better so called sub standard hotels NO WAY 4*

Room Tip: Avoid room 031 no thermostat and above main delivery area tankers deliveries and collections start a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bob t
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at Canifor Hotel. Excellent and there was a variety of food. The room was good and it was very clean and it was very comfortable too. Entertainment very enjoyable. I enjoyed singing karaoke on monday. Staff very helpfull. I recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank David S
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Arrived with my mother to be offered a double bed! Moved to another room which was damp and cold. Bedding was unacceptable - stains on the duvet covers - don't know when they were washed last. Towels were fit for the bucket - holes in them and dirty white. Pillows were smelly and yellow. Reception staff not very helpful especially the guy (Kitchet) in the black suit. Treated me as if I was 2nd class citizen.The hotel is classed 4 star! It would be struggling to get one star in this country. Food was disgusting. We ended up taking our own juice and fruit into dining room. The fruit on display was all plastic!! My mother had stomach problems from day one. The restaurant manager wore a woolly v neck pullover for his uniform and his hands were covered in sores which he stood and picked and scratched all the time. Charles was the only civilised member of staff trying to do a good job. The pool area is run down with dirty sunbeds. The indoor pool wasn't any better and it was not heated as stated in brochure. We paid far too much for this extremely basic holiday. Some people were only paying 12 euros/night for dinner, bed and breakfast. Every morning there was a load of people at reception making complaints.
The plumbing in the bathroom was suspect as well with sometimes boiling water coming out of cold taps. It is time this hotel was inspected thoroughly and given a lower star rating.

Room Tip: Try and get a front room facing the street on a high floor. It is not noisy but at least there is s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Doreen B
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I wouldnt even know where to start with a review of this hotel! The service in the restaurant was awful, apart from Charles who was the only one who spoke to us as if we were human beings! The food was disgusting, and there is absoloutly no choice for a vegetarian, if I had ate there everyday I would have had to live on potatoes and rice! We travelled in a group of 8 and only once did we actually get to sit together. We tried to move the tables one morning so we could eat breakfast together (or a slice of cake in my case) and were told we couldnt move them, yet there was a group of people only tables away who had done the exact same thing and got away with it. We were also asked to leave one night as were another table who were still there as they were closing, despite me receiving my vegetable pie (if you could call it that) only minutes before due to them taking half an hour to serve me it (cold). Our room was horrendous, their was mould all around the bath/shower area and the room was generally dark and depressing. The bedframe was literally a big bit of hard wood which was all broken at the one side and I kept hitting my leg off it, and the mattress was rock solid. We didnt have a fridge or hairdryer in our room like our friends did next door. The cleaners must have kept all their things in a cupboard outside of our room as they stood there chatting for what felt like hours at stupid o clock in the morning. They claim to have a gym but I wouldnt call a broken treadmill, some weights and some ancient exercise bikes a gym. The 'spa' consists of a dirty jacuzzi and steam room which i wouldnt have dared to use! This is the first time that I have ever felt the need to write a review like this but I would 100% not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel. We seemed to be treated completed differently than everyone else in the hotel, now whether this is because we were in a group, or the wrong colour of skin - i don't know, but its completely put me off ever returning to Malta and for this hotel to ever be seriously considered as 4* it would need to be refurbished and full of new staff!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank WeeJen89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Qawra Palace Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Hotel Santana
Hotel Santana
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!