“If you want SLEEP then give it a miss”
Review of Soreda Hotel

Soreda Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I had used this hotel some three years ago and all was good but this year I book from 28th March to 11th April .I was booked in by the staff and given room 206 . The room was very clean and now had new TV with a lot of news and films in English .The location is good as it's 10min walk to the bus station.where you can get a weeks bus travel for 6.5 euros. The food is very good for the price you paid .i found a pub around the side street (The Bell) run by English people that does very good food . A full English BF is only 2.5euros. Now for the negative side of things. I came as I said because I had used the hotel before with no problems. But this time the hotel had a very large amount of school children from England and France . There was no control over them and the noise and banging of doors at all hours every night stopped you getting a good nights sleep. I had to complain to the reception on more than three times to try and get the noise stopped .many complaints were made to the rep of the booking agent.in fact one person that had been using this hotel for over eight years had asked to be removed to a new hotel because of noise at night by the school children .I went to Malta to have a nice holiday but it turned out to be the worst holiday I have ever had. I told the management that they would loose customers loyal to the hotel as a good name gets around fast blue a bad one gets around faster. So if you want a relaxing holiday give this a miss.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank videoking
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great hotel. food was fantastic something different every night. Service brilliant. Lovely rooms.Nothing to do with the hotel but got completely ripped off by Cartrawler which we booked and paid for through Lowcost holidays. The company tried to surcharge us so much more on collecting the car that it was cheaper to hire from scratch from another company. Shame on Avis. Car Trawler and Lowcost holidays for this. All the money paid in advance for car hire was wasted.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
Reviewed 15 April 2014

You do get what you pay for. If you're expecting Hilton style levels of comfort and amenities for the price you can book this hotel then you're barking up the wrong tree. If you want a decent hotel and don't want to pay the world then read on.

We arrived late at night and Richard on reception greeted us. Check in was very easy and he made sure to give us the run down of everything we would want to know about the hotel. He even sorted us out with some sandwiches and as we had obviously missed dinner by arriving so late.

We had a one bedroom apartment looking out into the central courtyard. I'm assuming it can sleep 4 because the sofa was one of those ones you can change into a bed. The room was very large, spacious, clean and nicely furnished. We had a TV, but don't expect anything other than some German, Maltese, Music and news channels. There was also a fridge which was handy. The one negative about the room was we asked for a double bed but we were given two single ones. Didn't bother us too much but was still a bit of a pain.

The food was probably above average I'd say. There wasn't much variety on offer. I'm not that picky of an eater but I found myself eating the same most days. Although it was all certainly edible and good quality considering the all inclusive buffet style they had gone for. The desserts at dinner were probably the highlight. More choice of which cake to have then there were main choices. This included drinks whenever you wanted them. I had a rum and coke one evening and the guy put about three measures worth of it in there for some reason.

We didn't really use many of the hotels amenities but it has a gym, sauna, indoor pool, roof pool, outdoors pool, wifi, internet cafe, laundry, baggage room, parlour bar etc etc. All free on all inclusive. (Other than the laundry and internet cafe.)

The entertainment was a bit hit and miss. I don't personally enjoy trying to eat dinner with two local traditional musicians blaring away on a guitar and accordion when I'm trying to have a conversation. This was only one night thankfully. The other nights sometimes had a gentleman on a piano while we ate which was much more suitable dinner time music.

In the main bar they had your standard resort entertainment blokes singing every night. That sounded like it was just someone doing karaoke. For some reason the British seem to be happy to sit in a dark bar day in / day out, swilling all inclusive lager, watching the football and listening to some guy wailing out of tune down a microphone.
There was one day when the football went on where some typical English woman thought it appropriate to scream as loud as she could at the football on the TV in the bar. The bartender looked like he would have welcomed a swift and merciful death.

This "entertainment" went on until 11PM every night and even with the windows closed could clearly be heard. Wasn't that bothered but I imagine older couples or families with young children may find almost impossible to get to sleep.

I will add there was on exception to the entertainment, They had a lady with a violin one night that actually did have some considerable talent. In fact, there was a young, talented, German guest who would take it upon himself to sit on the grand piano sometimes playing music from video games and that was genuinely a hundred times better than the blokes singing the same old sad karaoke style songs down in the bar. I especially enjoyed his rendition of the theme from "Metal Gear Solid" and the theme from "Battlefield."

The area of the hotel isn't anything to write home about. It's your standard blocks of holiday apartments in the surrounding streets, but it's only a 5 minute walk down to Qawra / Bugibba / St.Paul's bay seafront which we strolled down every evening and got ice cream. The bus station is also only about a 10 minute walk away where you can get a bus to anywhere you would like on the island for only 6 euros for a whole weeks ticket.

Would I visit again? Yes. If all you need is a base to explore the island from and somewhere to get some meals and drinks then go for it. If you're going to be picky than I'd suggest spending some more money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ryan P
Reviewed 13 April 2014

stayed here on AI for 1 week in march with my wife Room on top floor front of hotel with one of the few views available big room good beds ok bathroom (shower head came off wall but repaired next day no fuss good service) food above average for AI lots of choice particularly good for salad / cold dishes and service top marks Hotel areas quite dark and main bar not to welcoming no natural light the area around the hotel is quite shabby and other resorts we found more appealing It was our 1st time on Malta and still not sure of our opinion Valletta Medina Gozo are all must sees but many parts are run down Overall we had a good holiday and we cannot complain about the hotel

Room Tip: front of hotel better but not great views anywhere
1  Thank daletraveller
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Not booking the Soreda but going to Malta,my husband wasnt pleased,but we were both pleasantly surprised.The hotel was a bit tired,decoration wise,but everything else was so good.Great selection of food and drinks(didnt like the wine,but that was everywhere we went except Crazy Daisies.The staff were all so helpful and everyone we met...young or old...was having a great time.Our thanks to all the Soreda staff for a wonderful holiday.

1  Thank pollywins48
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The staff are friendly and helpful, our room was large and pleasant, though it would be nice to have a chair or something to put one's clothes on overnight. But . . . the sound insulation is dreadful. I struggled to get to sleep and was also woken frequently, sounds of furniture being dragged around, guests calling across the inner courtyards at all hours. We were possibly unfortunate to coincide with large groups of students which meant that the dining room was horrendously loud and crowded. The food was buffet style - strange for an allegedly 4 star outfit - and pretty indifferent. But as I say, you get what you pay for . . . The offering is pretty good if you want mass catering. For the price I guess I shouldn't complain, but I would not consider a return visit under any circumstances. Oh, and the Wi-Fi is terrible, keeps dropping and horribly slow.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PD_tripadviser
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Tayed here in March 2014. Picked this place has it was a bargain.Did read the reviews my girlfriend and I are not really fussy. So having read them was not especting much but to our delight it was excellent. The place was a bit worn, but the food, cleanliness and Bar was great. All the staff, especially the bar staff was brilliant.
This hotel would really suit the older clientele, as it was geared for the older generation especially the entertainment. But we loved (being two of the youngest lol)

5  Thank Wolfieyam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Park Lane Aparthotel
#2 of 13 in St. Paul's Bay
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#6 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Soreda Hotel? Share your experiences!