“Awful”
Review of Soreda Hotel

Soreda Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Food was cold unless you got there first. Bar staff were really good. entertainment was ok

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LiverpoolNorma
There are newer reviews for Soreda Hotel

Reviewed 28 March 2010

My sister loves trip advisor.
Before we left for our trip to Malta she had avidly read the reviews here.
Which, on the whole~
are very mixed.
We travelled as a party of six * 50* somethings, and we always make our own fun.
Here then, are my impressions of * The hotel Soreda, Malta.*
For what they are worth lol!

Pros

Friendly staff
( Hats off to John Borg, the reservations manager who was lovely. Really helpful at all times, thanks John.)
Bedrooms big
Fresh towels in bathrooms everyday
Bus station within walking distance

Cons

Eating

Food really awful, with a turtle made out of some sort of
dough that sat on top of the salad bar. * shudder*
At the end of the week I was existing on toast and soup.
( Lost four pounds lol so maybe no bad thing =)
Filthy tablecloths with remnants of previous meals all over them.
Communal sauces, bread baskets, ( I saw an older lady picking her ear and nose and then sifting through every slice of bread =( yuk!
Guess who skipped toast that morning.
Coffee was the worst I've ever tasted, and the orange juice came a close second.
The whole dining area reminded me of a school cafeteria.
I would say the dreadfulness of the food would really bring this hotel down.

Sleeping
Mattresses rock hard, pillows either lumpy or hard too.
We were there for a week, and the sheets on a weeks visit are meant to
be changed at least once, ours weren't.

Bathrooms

Broken shower, I had to hold the shower to actually get washed.
Water lukewarm most days

Age groups

Apart from a group of Italian kids
we were the youngest in the hotel and we are in our fifties !

Entertainment

Just the usual hotel fodder, ageing DJS and washed up dancers.

Swimming pools

Don't even bother with bringing your swim suit.
I had two with me, both went home bone dry.
( Will add photo later, when I get mine uploaded.)

I've often thought 4* on the continent is an average 2* hotel in the UK.
Sadly, the Soreda lived up to this expectation.

Cleanliness

In a downstairs loo near the main reception I found a dead cockroach.
That made me wonder what wildlife was lurking in the kitchens?

All in all,
I've heard of other all inclusive holidays where the standard has really been 4*, but sadly the Soreda didn't. I also have heard people say *you get what you pay for* ( I personally don't think that's always true.. ..) but this time, we really did.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Anita C
Reviewed 21 March 2010

we booked the holiday with hays travel, upon arriving we found the reception staff carefree and cocky, it is dark in places which didnt go down well with the older folk.
I went with my wife in march 2010 and during the week we had bathroom tiles falling off the wall, cold showers, toilet not flushing on a morning, double bed collapsing with just me on it, and to cap it all the outside roof pool was empty all week.
on the better side the food was above average,
we would not recommend this hotel to anybody,
I also believe you have to find things out for yourselfs so good luck.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank timothyYork
Reviewed 20 March 2010

not in the centre and just a five minute stroll to the centre so you have the best of both worlds.I travel to malta quiet a lot to visit friends and my wifes relations,and have stayed in a lot of hotels and for the money this being the best,forget about the wingers on some reviews.Hotel was clean,staff were excellent,rooms cleaned etc every day,great bar with sandwiches provided in the day,and i am a very fussy eater ,but thought the food was excellent,well done chefs.On my arrival even the deputy manager wanted to take my case for me,what a nice helpful man.thanks to soreda have booked again forlast week in oct,looking forward to it. brian. hyde cheshire, en

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank bnt1943
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Could not really fault the hotel. 3* plus. Immaculate public areas and rooms. Very busy over all 4 days. 5 min walk to Bugiba and bus terminal for excellent links to all parts of the island. Pre book you taxi in and out or you pay an extra £7 each way from the airport. Generally everywhere was slighly cheaper than the UK. Greaty time, saw the sights. Would I go back again, Yes.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank swanseasteve
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Spent a week at the soreda in Feb, arrived at 8.15pm checked in without any problems room on second floor over the top of the main entrance with a not to good view stayed A/I the food was fantastic how anyone can complain about the food is beyond me, the drinks are local and not bad, the dining area was dark with no windows and it did tend to get very warm in there, the staff in the dining area are A1, the entertainment was ok but catered more for older people than us ballroom dancing and crooners singing mellow songs, the pool on the roof is out of use till april as is the bar on the roof which made it a pain to keep going to the bar downstairs for a drink, there are two bars both are not big enough there are also only two toilets per bar so you have to que when its busy or go back to your room .

So the first few nights were pleasent enough then the weekend arrived this is when we found out that the Soreda is a public hotel what happens is this, the doors are thrown open to all and in flock the locals, now we have nothing against the Maltese people indeed they are warm and friendly but on Saturday night we ate in the dining hall then went into the main bar it was packed and we couldnt get a seat , so we went to the small bar holds about 15 again packed , now you dont expect this when you have paid for A/I we ended up going out to the local bars and paying for drinks, it was the same on the sunday we couldnt use the jaccuzi it was full with the locals, some come from a bit further away so book the weekend a cple of families had kids with them they soon got bored and had us awake in early mornings by running in the corriders and shouting whilst banging on their familes doors loudly .

Now for the worst part of our stay we arrived back to our room on the fourth night to be met with 3 large cockroaches my wife let out a scream i battered them with my shoe i flushed them down the loo,we sat for ten mins and thought it was over we decided to get some sleep as i was getting in to bed another 2 came in through the vent above the door another 2 battered with my shoe,
Next morning i informed the young lady at Reception about the cockys i was discreet and made sure nobody else was around, she said i would report it, we went back to our room that night and bingo two appeared so got batterd with my trusty shoe again after that night we didnt experince anymore of them so im assuming something was done , we noticed as sliding frosted glass in the bathroom opened it to reveal a huge ventation shaft so assume this is where the cockys came from .

All in all it wasnt a bad stay and im just being truthfull about our experince at the Soreda its a bit out in the sticks but a 5 min walk to the bus station and your away to experince the wonderfull History that this Island holds, if you have been to Rhodes in Greece and witnessed old Rhodes town then i have to tell you it doesnt hold a candle to what Malta offers .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Having read complaints from previous reviewers and heard them from fellow guests, perhaps people are being unrealistic in their expectations. The 4* rating relates to facilities offered not the quality of them and, generally speaking, Malta hotels are aimed at the tourist market and not the luxury or business traveller market.
My party of five went 'all inclusive' and we always found someone available to serve us. The rooms were very spacious and very well equipped and the food was fine. I accept that my fellow guest who "don't eat lettuce & that salad stuff or any pasta and I can't stand sauce on meat" was going to have a problem but I cannot imagine anyone not being able to make three meals a day from the hotel's offering. All these places can get repetitive so do as we did and eat out at lunchtime and a couple of evenings - what you pay for all inclusive is so cheap that surely you can afford this!
Overall, we found no fault with this hotel. Even though the evening entertainment was not to my taste, there was plenty of space in the other bars to relax with a drink and the younger members of our party (19 year olds) went out and about anyway. I would recommend this hotel but if you are one of those people who expects to get 5* facilities, service and delivery at 1* prices, then travel around a bit more so that you can join the real world.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank denmarcjm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
#1 of 15 in Qawra
Il Palazzin Hotel
Il Palazzin Hotel
#5 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Soreda Hotel? Share your experiences!