“Great stay and would definitly go back and also recommend”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay in this hotel with my partner and 2 Year old son, I visit Malta often has have family out there and have stayed in many hotels, The Sunflower was good value for money. The staff were very friendly, polite and accomadating. The food was very good and had a large choice. The room was large with air condition tv and wifi access, The bed was comfy and the room cleaned to a high standard dailey, the public area were also very clean and tidy and the pool area was clean, All in All a very pleasant stay and would go back. The location is close to the coast only a 5 minute walk and is very close to Qwara tourist area with plenty of bars, restraunts, shops and bus terminal were you can catch a bus any were on the island.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet as there is no night time entertainment, i asked for a large room as would h...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura B

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Do not go there. There a lot of other not expensive and much better places. We stayed for 5 days after Sunflower we moved to Il Palazzin, so we can compare. We were surprised about the ratings: both hotels rating were similar, but totally different hotels.
The only what Sunflower can offer – the price, only. Nothing else. The first impression- old cottage room. The place and surrounding is bad, constructions and dirty fields around.
Breakfasts were average. Possible to eat, but the quality not very good, once we found musty bread.
Air conditioner doesn’t work, flows but no cooling. Air intake makes ceiling flipping.
Beds were terrible – instable and creaking, even waking you up then turning.
Nobody cleans the room, housekeeping changes only towels. The dusts were in the bathroom corners when we came and been there for all 5 days. First time we saw that liquid soap is diluted with water. After a few days it was over and nobody refilled it or brought bar soap.
Roof pool very small, needs efforts to find out who could provide umbrellas, no attendance – service near the pool.
In totally it was the worst hotel we have been. So do not be caught on hotel photos made ages ago and on boosted ratings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Andrius A
Reviewed 20 June 2012

we have just returned from staying at the sunflower hotel 19th June 2012 and had a really lovely stay. Food everso good, and plenty of choice, and staff everso helpful.The Manager Dominic was everso friendly, and the chef was a good laugh.We really enjoyed ourselves, and will be going back sometime in the future.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LlanelliPat
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Seriously i am a business traveller and I can navigate myself anywhere but this hotel took me an hour to find - remember that Malta is only 17 miles long.

NOBODY knew where it was or had ever heard of it.

WIFI is chargeable AND does not work in the rooms - what is this 1984 ????

The air conditioning doesn't work - fantastic when it is 32 degrees outside

Won't be coming back

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank CraigBeck
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This was a late booking made without gaining much information. We were very pleased with our stay. I would describe the Sunflower as a small and friendly hotel situated in a quiet location in ta residential area. Just what we wanted. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful with our enquiries. We signed up for B&B but after using the hotel for our first dinner decided the choice and quality of the food was very good and used the dining room for the whole of our stay. Our twin room was quite spacious, perhaps a chest of drawers would have helped storage. Always kept clean like the rest of the hotel. Our balcony gave us a side view of the sea in the distance. The walk from the hotel to the promenade was approx 10 mins where there was a frequent bus service. We feel the hotel lived up to our expectations.

Room Tip: Higher floors SW side for better views
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlbertD828
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked this hotel with a group of 38 people, and it worked very well.

The location is excellent, walking distance of good bars and restaurants, and also the bus terminal for those wishing to wander. Also, because of the location there are amazing views from the rooftop pool area.

The staff were very accommodating for the group, as usual there were many weird and wonderful requests from the guests which were all catered for very well. We were pretty much given free reign of the hotel. Our first night required a band rehearsal, and we were given access to the rooftop which was a wonderful setting.

My only disappointment was in the quality of the food, and although I know it's difficult to cook for large groups of people, as I have experience of this, I also know you need to start with good quality ingredients to start with. I had booked a dinner for all 38 of us on the first night, and the restaurant staff knew what time were were arriving. They'd reserved an area for us, not a problem, but we were still queuing up for a while waiting for the food to appear as they had run out of all the meat and fish choices. At the same time as we were waiting for this food to be prepared, it then came out completely overcooked and not very tasty. Which puzzled me, was I waiting for my food to be overcooked?

The quality of the bedrooms were pretty good, the facilities were fine, although not very clean. The bathroom needs a good going over, as the shower heads in most rooms (as far as I can gather) were mostly broken and the stands didn't work. In my room, I wasn't provided with a floor mat, so obviously there was water all over the floor. I requested more towels no problem, but when I then mopped the water up, the white towels were turned black because of the cleanliness of the floor! quite off putting. Other than that, the beds were very comfortable, balcony had a great view, my room (604) was really quite noisy however, as it's situated next to the lift, and under the pool pump on the 7th floor! so I just made sure I drank lots of alcohol so I slept through it.

The pool on the roof is such a lovely setting, plenty of areas for lounge chairs, a pool bar, and of course a medium sized pool for bathing in. I just didn't think the area was very clean, and there was a hint of algae smell in the air.

At the end of the day, it is a 3 star property, so I wasn't expecting the world. However, if I were to stay there again, there are a few things which should probably be improved.

Room Tip: don't sleep in 604 if you're a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank NatC2011
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This hotel is great value for money. The room was really nice, plenty of space, and the hotel staff very pleasant at all times. Hotel not full of British, it had many different nationalities staying- it's a continental type hotel - as advertised. The restaurant is cafe/bar type, the food very good. Not far from Bugibba town, and close to the cinema if the weather was bad. Two lifts in the hotel - try to get a room on one of the top floors, better view that way. Be aware that Malta is very windy this time of year - bring some warm clothes for the evening. Would I come back - yes, the hotel's great value for money, and we had a great time using this as our base.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Marianne911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#4 of 12 in Mellieha
Hotel Santana
Hotel Santana
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!