“Great budget hotel with wonderful staff.”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Great budget hotel with wonderful staff.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I booked into here for Christmas, which was great. We went on to stay there three times as we liked it so much. Nothing fancy, which is fine as you are not paying a fancy price. It is quiet when you need it, but has enough facilities for a bit of pampering. Food is great, both night buffet and breakfast. We are travelling with bicycles and these were stored inside for us. What more can you ask for for the money. We would stay a fourth time.

Room Tip: room 502 was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank estherwarren
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Esterwarren,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments.

I note, with much pleasure, that you will be returning to our hotel. In this regard do let us know if we can help you with your booking.

Hotel Sunflower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Carlisle, England
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We booked for a cheap out of season week with B&B and a standard room. Most of the other guests were French and seemed to be there on a half board basis.

Transfers from the airport were straightforward, and the reception staff efficient and welcoming.

The hotel is in a quiet back street at the top of the town, 10 minutes from the centre. We got thoroughly lost on day two! Watch your step at night on the badly lit footpaths nearby. Uneven, and a bit of a minefield of doggy do!

Our room was much better than expected, big and bright with a decent sized bath, table and sofa. The bed was rock hard but that is how we like it. There was air con but we didn't test it. Linen wasn't new but was clean and tidy. The bed was made up perfectly every day and the room cleaned and tidied.

The tap water in Malta is rock hard, so don't expect any lather from your soap! It's drinkable, but bottled is cheap.

Breakfast was included, with fruit, bread, cereals, yogurt etc. a full English was available for a reasonable €3 and we tried it on the last day - lovely! We also had dinner one night but thought it was poor value, even at €9. It was OK, but a bit bland and portions were small. Definitely priced down to a budget. We mostly ate in the Sailors Arms or La Stalla in nearby "Tourist St" a 5 minute walk away.

The hotel bar was perfectly adequate and we had a drink there most days. Not cheap by Maltese standards at €2.90 a pint (the local Cisk lager is great), but operates 24 hours a day and the staff are great. But the staff have to multitask at mealtimes so can be in and out a bit. They do cocktails too, but if the cocktail batman is off duty they only do the simple ones!

There is a small indoor pool on the ground floor which we didn't try. The roof terrace and pool was not in play but we sat in the sun there and admired the view. It looked like it looked like it would be great on a hot day with a swim up bar and multiple little pools.

Good points - pleasant and hard working staff, good housekeeping, large room, incredible value.

Bad points - nothing too bad; dinner uninspiring and poor value if it's not included in price. Location of hotel is a bit off the beaten track.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GasMenace
Dear Gas Menace,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments.

I do regret to note that you were disappointed with dinner and will be sharing your comments with our management team in view of improving the product and services.

In the meantime

Sales and Marketing manager
Qawra, Malta
Reviewed 20 February 2014

we had first floor room, bathroom very small cant even open all the door due the toilet ... bath not fixed well..rooms are not bad...Breakfast was cold breakfast no buffet as said...
pool indoor was fine,and outside too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RoseAnne S
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear RoseAnne S.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I regret to note that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us and apologise for any inconvenience you experienced.

However, concerning your comment regarding the breakfast, may I point out that what we offer is a continental buffet breakfast. This includes a variety of breads and spreads, a variety of cold cuts, a variety of cereals, croissants and chocolate sauce, cakes, yogurt, hot and cold beverages and a selection of fresh fruit.

Hotel Sunflower

Travellers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I booked my trip for myself and my wife for a getaway for 3 nights. The staff from reception to the bar staff and waitresses were polite and courteous at all times. When it came to the room I was rather disappointed to the overall standard. Even though it was a standard, board only room I expected a little more to be honest. Cable tv had only one English channel (sky news), no kettle in the room so had to either go downstairs for coffee in the morning, or wait till went out. I paid for a double bed, and what I got was clearly 2 single beds and mattresses pushed together. Also on one of the walls there was some defect to the paintwork that looks as if it had just been patched up and had started flaking. If only the hotel standards were of that of the staff then I think I would have been satisfied....... I am sorry I can not be any more positive about this hotel.....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark C
Dear Mark C.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us and here take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience you experieinced.
In the meantime please note that I will be sharing your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.

kent
Reviewed 12 January 2014

was a very good hotel had a lovely stay didn't go much on the beds and sheets as the sheets didn't fit in the night I would have to get up and put the sheet back on my bed! the room was clean shower was fine as well but they should have non slip matts in the bath as I slipped a few times. they could put a kettle in room that would have been nice we bring our own tea and coffee but they wanted to charge us 3 50 euro`s for one with the tea and coffee which we didn't need but not a kettle on it`s own but found a shop that hired one for one euro a day it`s a shop just opposite the car museum and down a bit. I do think the smokers should not be allowed to smoke right by the lobby doors we was sat there and had to go as the smoke came in every time the door opened!! The dinners was very good had a good choice breakfast could have been better we only had cooked breakfast on new years day and it was very good but we were half board and I wasn't going to pay 3 euros for a cooked breakfast first time I have stayed in a hotel where you didn't get a cooked breakfast for choice, but the staff was very good. we stayed over new year had rain then the sun came out and had a lovely 3 days of nice weather to explore the island which is a lovely place some lovely sights as well 12 euros a week for the bus good value we shall return...

Room Tip: if you want tea and coffee in your room choose superior and not standard
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbarolly
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Barbarolly,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and will be sharing your feedback with the management team in view of improving our product.
We are pleased to note that you found the hotel to be good value for money and hope that you will be able to return to our hotel in the near future. Should you do so please do contact us in case you need any assistance with your reservation.

Carlisle
Reviewed 8 January 2014

First of all, this was a bargain basement holiday that we got and we were not expecting the Ritz. What we were expecting was clean, tidy, comfortable rooms and that is exactly what we got.

When we arrived in Malta it was New Years eve and the rain was belting down - it set off the mood negatively, our transfer from the airport hadn't been arranged and we had had to get a taxi, we were soaked and miserable. We were shown to our room (quite a small one, not large as other reviewers have mentioned, but then again we paid cheap) which did the job. But the rain had poured in through the balcony window and there was a big puddle on the floor.

We could see the hotel was busy and preparing for NYE dinner so decided to mop it up with a towel. On the bed was a clean, but thin sheet and in the wardrobe we found a blanket each, but due to the weather the room was freezing and the heater only seemed to blow out cold air. Hubby trotted down to reception to ask for an extra blanket each but the hotel was full and there was none spare. We were told the heating would come on at 9pm.

We went out for dinner, into the rain, still miserable, as the hotel dinner was 35 euro each and there was no vegetarian option :(.

When we got back it was still freezing in the room and the heater, when put on full just took the chill off (but also blew orange dust over the bed). We got into bed and eventually got to sleep, but during the night Hubby;s blanket slipped off the bed into the puddle and got soaked - it was like a comedy of errors.

You could choose whether to have a cold blast for a shower or a warm trickle. Once you chose heat the pressure declined greatly.

We checked the menu for dinner every night as they offer quite a good deal if you are staying on a B&B rate, but there were no veggie options at all so we had to eat elsewhere. We did have a cup of tea in the bar a couple of nights though.

No kettle in the room, but you could rent one for 2.50 euros a night! I thought this was a bit excessive as it's only me that drinks tea - I had my own tea-bags and didn't need milk or sugar. We didn't go for this option.

The staff were all lovely, especially Nick who worked in the restaurant - EVERY DAY! Does this guy not get a day off? And the chap behind the bar, Australian I think.

The placement of the hotel isn't too bad if you like exploring. It is a little bit off the beaten track and a 10 minute walk to the nearest clump of restaurants, 15 minutes one way to the sea front and 15 minutes another way to the bus station where you can buy a 12 euro ticket for a weeks travel and explore until your heart is content.

We popped up to the pool area on the roof of the building and it looked lovely. Too cold to take a dip, but it was clean and bright. The indoor pool looked nice too, we didn't use that either.

Breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of different breads, including wholemeal which was appreciated. Tinned fruit and yoghurt, croissants and jams, cheese and sliced meat. On the first morning there was also scrambled egg, beans and sausages, but only the first morning and I suspect because there was a large number of people staying.
You can also order a full English at 3 euros extra should you need it.

All in all we would return to this hotel, the niggles we had were minor and not entirely to be unexpected for the price we paid.

Malta is lovely, we will go back one day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Soozintheshed
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Sooziintheshed,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I have noted the points raised in your review and would prefer to investigate this matter in more depth and then answer you fully on e-mail. Please e-mail me separately on carmen.zammit@sunroutehotels.com with the details of your booking so that I would check matter and revert.
In the meantime I apologize for any shortcomings on our part.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Spent two weeks here over Christmas and New Year 2013/14. The hotel is clean, comfortable, quiet, peaceful and generally very good. The majority of staff are efficient and helpful. Even though it states the hotel has heating, that only relates to certain rooms, so check before booking. I would definitely recommend this hotel to future visitors.
There were a couple of things I did not enjoy and I pass this on to the management in the hope that they will do something about it for future visitors;

When staff come in and out of the kitchen while serving meals, the doors bang very loudly. How thay haven't realised this before now is beyond me. Don't think I am anal, because I'm not, but it frustrated me so much that I resorted to counting how many times it actually happened. 27 at breakfast and 44 at dinner! While eating your meal and you get nothing but this horrendous door slam, can be more than frustrating.
Secondly, the way the waiter staff charge for extras! They seem to be scared that they are going to miss out on charging for a bottle of water. Once you order something extra, you go and get your buffet style meal, sit down and start eating. Immediately a confirmation sheet is thrust under your nose for you to sign for each individual extra. Most restaurants I have eaten at, tend to leave the final costs right to the end of the meal, but not here. You have to interrupt your eating to sign a document for every single extra at the moment you receive it. Come on management team, you can do better than that!

Buyer beware, you are encouraged to buy the local 'award winning' wine. Heaven forbid, whatever it won an award for, it surely wasn't for being termed as wine! And the coffee at breakfast time, is ghastly! Someone should be taken to task for calling it coffee. Yet the hotel has an espresso machine, so why not use that?

Malta itself, is nice, but the streets are not paved in gold, rather dog poo! There is a law that pet owners clear up behind their wayward pets. However, it doesn't happen. So consquently there are calling cards on every street and tracks where people have trodden in it, disgusting. The pet owners of Malta should be ashamed of their poor habits and seemingly lack of caring for other folk.

Much to my chagrin, I found that seemingly 90% of the population in Malta are heavy smokers, so when you are out for a snack or dinner, all around you is the horrible smell of wafting cigarette smoke. You can tell I don't partake in this pitiful habit, but why can't these people consider others around them before lighting up at meal times?

If you want to tour the island, use the buses and the cheap tickets available. These are much better value than the topless tour buses and you get to visit at your own speed.

Malta is a nice holiday resort, go and enjoy it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Terence R
Dear Terence R.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and will share your feedback with the management team in view of improving our product.

In the meantime we hope that you will soon find the opportunity to visit us again and promise our availability to assist you with future bookings at our hotel.

Sales and Marketing manager
Hotel Sunflower
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bugibba
Park Lane Aparthotel
Park Lane Aparthotel
#1 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!