“Would definitely go back to the Sunflower”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I returned from Malta on Tuesday having stayed at the Sunflower for a week. It is a great place to stay. It is situated within a short walking distance to Bugibba Square, which has a great choice of bars and restaurants and a beautiful waterfront area. It is also close to the bus station which runs regular services to all over the island.
The Sunflower is a perfect base, it is very clean, offers an ample breakfast,, great roof-pool area and the staff are friendly

An extra Thank You to Vasco who was working on the reception when I arrived at 1am.....he was so very friendly and welcoming and as I was travelling on my own,his manner made me think, 'yes I think I'm going to be alright here'....and I was.

Great holiday

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Susanne C
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Suzanne C.

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments, especially about our colleague Vasco.
I am pleased to note that you will return to Malta and our hotel in the near future and offer you our assistance with any future bookings you may have.

Best regards from Malta

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a fab basic hotel with excellent staff.
Decent sized rooms with only one downside, they really need a fridge sue to the heat and needing a cold drink.

Lovely pool area that wasn't too busy to get a sunbed, pool bar was fine with good priced snacks and drinks.

Best restaurants we tried were La Stalla, La sorpresa and Grannys, Fat Harrys food was ok but really poor service, this maybe to being busy.

Went to Aquarium, Mediterean and a boat trip with Seahorse around the bay.
Location of hotel is a 10/15 minute walk to either Buggiba Square or Qawra.
Breakfast was adequate with a full English for 3 Euros.

Had a great holiday and would return to Qawra and to the Sunflower hotel, Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear LIW,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments. I will pass on your favourable remarks regarding our staff to my colleagues on the management team so as to pass on to the staff. Such comments are always as source of encouragement to us.

I do hope that you will soon be able to return to Malta and to the Sunflower Hotel and take this opportunity to offer you our assistance with any future booking.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel has great staff, they are very friendly, helpful and can't do enough for you during your stay. That said I agree with the a previous reviewer regarding some of its basic three star hotel standards of mattress protector, the safe has a key to open the door, which isn't a good idea. And it is definitely in need of the DIY hit squad to sort out some of its issues with paint flaking off the walls and other basic DIY work. The food also need some looking at, in that most of what's eaten all tastes much the same...which wasn't great. Breakfast doesn't include any of the basic English breakfast ingredients, so no eggs, bacon, just meat, chees and cereal.
One real annoyance was no spoons on the table, you had to get them when you got your tea or soup or you go back again to get them! The roof pool area was very nice and clean, food is served as long as you get there before 3pm ? It is a quiet hotel and as long as your not looking for the Ritz, it's still worth a stay on BB basis.

Room Tip: Its a quiet hotel all around but we had the superior rooms which had plenty of space ~ Use the DO NO...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Jess245,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments about our staff. I will share your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.
However, concerning breakfast, May I remark that we promote our hotel as serving an enriched continental buffet breakfast. In fact, for the benefit of those reading this review, breakfast at the Sunflower Hotel includes breads, a variety of spreads, a variety of cold cuts, cereals, yogurt, fruit, cake, croissants, milk, tea, coffee and fruit juice. A plated English breakfast is available against a small supplement.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I loved my room - big, spacious, clean, and a great bathroom with a lovely bath. No kettle, but this seems to be normal for a lot of Malta hotels. Wifi was very expensive - again, this tends to be something that everywhere has these days so maybe they need to look at that. That said, the clientele tended to be a little older, so maybe it's not a priority. What I did not like was the large amount of dog poo surrounding the hotel (not their fault but they could maybe do something somehow), the melon that had been stored at too cool a temperature at breakfast and so was all slushy, and the pool on the roof wasn't as big or as pretty as the clever photographs make out. Still, I did not pay a lot, and I found the hotel staff attentive, so I think I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank elbecuardo69
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us and that you will be returning to Malta and to our hotel.
In the meantime I will share your comments concerning the melon with our Chef so that such incident will not happen again. Concerning the Wi-Fi, in the winter time we do have attractive offers including free Wi-Fi from time to time, so do contact us and we will keep you informed.
With regards to the surroundings of the hotel, we will also raise this issue with the local council in view of improving matters.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

just returned from a weeks bed and breakfast in the sunflower.we have stayed in malta several times at various hotels, as we have family there.the sunflower is the nicest one we have found yet and will definitely be booking again.only 5 mins or so from main square in quiet location.pretty hotel, very clean and staff pleasant.huge bedroom with 2 balconies,very light and airy.fabulous holiday, we will be back!

Room Tip: we were on the top floor 6th room 601 corner room.really big,sunny in the mornings,cool by teatime,s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chalmers59
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Chalmers59,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Sunflower with other reviewers on Tripadvisor and for your most favourable comments about our hotel.
I am happy to note that you truly enjoyed our stay with us and will return to our hotel. I also promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking to our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunflower and send you our best regards

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Whilst I enjoyed our stay at the Sunflower,some things could make it better.Malta is still a bit behind in standards.1 no mattress protectors or pillow protectors.2 Menu is weekly,so teeds to be a bit boring over 3 weeks.Still in their favour its clean,and serviced well.Sunloungers need upgrading most of them were broken. Malta is still our favorite place as we have visited it since 1983. Next time we visit I will have a look in.

Room Tip: Rooms are of a reasonable standard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments about our hotel. I will be sharing your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.
I also take this opportunity to offer you our assistance with any future booking you may have to our hotels.

Sales and Marketing manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I are due to visit The Sunflower for perhaps the 12th time on June 5th and we cannot wait. For such a reasonable price, the hotel is more than adequate and has such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. It has a lovely rooftop pool and the pool bar has beautiful snacks for ridiculously cheap prices. It is in a quiet spot, admittedly not the most picturesque location, but it is only 10 minutes from stunning beauty. Can't wait to see everyone again in our second home!!

Room Tip: just try it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevin j

Dear Kevin J.

Thank you for your repeat custom and for sharing your experience at the Sunflower Hotel with other reviewers on TripAdvisor. Your most favourable comments about our product and services are truly appreciated.
Above all, we really look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Hotel Sunflower

Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#8 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!