“A bit out of the way, but clean & friendly”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Alexandria, Virginia
“A bit out of the way, but clean & friendly”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this Hotel for seven nights in July of 2014. The staff are very helpful and alert, the restaurant serves excellent food, (a buffet), and the property is well maintained. The hotel is a bit "off" the beach, but the boardwalk is only a short(ish) walk away. Aside from the location the only negative issue I encountered was that the WIFI was a bit spotty. Overall I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to others!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Peter M
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Peter M.,

Thank you for your most favourable comments about our hotel. We hope that you will soon have the opportunity to return to Malta and to our hotel and promise you our availability to assist you with any future booking.

Best regards
Hotel Sunflower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at the Sunflower hotel situated in Qawra, we arrived early around 10:30am, the cleaners dropped what they were doing and had our three rooms ready in 15 minutes. My room on the 5th floor was comfortable, easy to use A/C and a fan in the ceiling.
Two balconies, a light and airy room, clean and a bathroom with a shower, we only stayed for two nights as this was a business trip, we are an Abba tribute band so we stay in a lot of hotels world wide.
The location is in easy walking distance to Bugibba Square, which hosts a load of restaurants and bars. There is also a local shop within 30 seconds walking that sells just about everything!
It has a fabulous roof top swimming pool, with a bar, good food between 12 noon to 3pm.

Also has a small indoor pool with a jacuzzi, a nice bar and restaurant (did not eat in the restaurant.
Breakfast is good a fine selection of continental food, however for 3 euro's you can order a full English.
Bare in mind this is a three star, in all our 3 rooms we had no complaints, but notice things like; tea and coffee supplied in the room with no teaspoon, a few small things that did not bother us.
Again a 3* you have to pay 6 euros for 180 minutes of WiFi. If you don't log out the Wi Fi continues! We find out the hard way!
I want to return for a holiday i would have no hesitation in staying at The Sunflower for a week or so.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Colin C
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Sunflower Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Colin C.

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Sunflower Hotel in May for 7 nights. On arrival the staff were friendly and I couldn't fault the service received throughout the holiday.
The room was very comfortable, with good mattress on the beds and plenty of seating.
We had a few issues with the pluming in the bathroom, but nothing serious.
The roof top pool and sun bathing area was nicely set out and the pool was lovely except for...the flies. There was so many of these little black flies around it was really off putting to stay out for long. they didn't want your drink or food, they were just attracted to the painted blue walls and pool and occasionally they would fall on to you as you sunbathed, which wasn't very pleasant. The staff were more than understanding about them and had tried to remove them but once some were disposed of more came. They just need to repaint the place.
The indoor pool however was lovely, very peaceful and warm. We used that most days.
Breakfast was great, what you would expect of a continental breakfast.

We would recommend this place to others. Just re-paint your pool area please and we may return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank k_s8825
Dear Client,

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor, for your most favourable comments, and for recommending our hotel.
I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the plumbing and with the flies by the outdoor pool.
I hope that you will return to Malta and our hotel in the near future and offer you our assistance with any future bookings you may have.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I booked this hotel after looking at the reviews on Trip advisor. It is a basic three star an in need of some updating. My room was okay, although had some tiles falling from ceiling and the shower curtain fell off the wall. The staff were extremely unhelpful on numerous occasions. My main concern was that when I put the shower on the tap leaked and flooded the bathroom floor, I asked at reception for someone to look at it (and the shower curtain) and they said that they would get someone to clean it up. I told them I would like it repaired. A cleaner came to clean the floor and he reported the leak to the manager. Shower curtain was put back up but no leak was repaired. As the staff were so unhelpful I used towels to mop it up every day. Also air conditioning did not work and ceiling fan looked as if it would fall off.

I also asked for an internet voucher during my stay and was told to wait for an hour because they were waiting for a coach of new arrivals!!! It takes 2 minutes to issue a voucher could not understand the reason for having to wait. I really disagree with other reviews regarding staff, they were very unhelpful, and once the receptionist raised his eyes up as I entered as if I was the annoying guest.

All rooms need a fridge except that the electricity goes on and off with your room key so would be a problem when out of your room. I dont think I will stay at this hotel again. I know most of the hotels in Malta are very basic but staff should be a little more helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayne1801
Dear Jayne 1801.

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us and take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. I will also share your review with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.

Hotel Sunflower

Travellers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Arrived at the hotel 2 hours early but reception said we could still check in. Reception staff were always helpful and available. Hotel was smart on first appearances, greetings lounge was comfortable and clean. Room was very clean and they changed the sheets and towels everyday. Unfortunately the air con in our room did not work but we had a ceiling fan which provided light relief for the heat. We stayed b and b and the breakfast wasn't great, continental style but very limited although the staff were pleasant and prompt. Overall for a 3 star very good experience. If on a budget again I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The area is very busy 24 hours a day. Not for young families.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Zararosedown.

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments, especially about the cleanliness of the hotel and our staff.
I will also share your comments concerning your remarks about the air-condition and breakfast with my colleagues on the management team in view on improving our product and services.
In the meantime I am pleased to note that you will return to Malta and our hotel in the near future and offer you our assistance with any future bookings you may have.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I returned from Malta on Tuesday having stayed at the Sunflower for a week. It is a great place to stay. It is situated within a short walking distance to Bugibba Square, which has a great choice of bars and restaurants and a beautiful waterfront area. It is also close to the bus station which runs regular services to all over the island.
The Sunflower is a perfect base, it is very clean, offers an ample breakfast,, great roof-pool area and the staff are friendly

An extra Thank You to Vasco who was working on the reception when I arrived at 1am.....he was so very friendly and welcoming and as I was travelling on my own,his manner made me think, 'yes I think I'm going to be alright here'....and I was.

Great holiday

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Susanne C
Dear Suzanne C.

Thank you for reviewing the Sunflower Hotel on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments, especially about our colleague Vasco.

Manchester
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a fab basic hotel with excellent staff.
Decent sized rooms with only one downside, they really need a fridge sue to the heat and needing a cold drink.

Lovely pool area that wasn't too busy to get a sunbed, pool bar was fine with good priced snacks and drinks.

Best restaurants we tried were La Stalla, La sorpresa and Grannys, Fat Harrys food was ok but really poor service, this maybe to being busy.

Went to Aquarium, Mediterean and a boat trip with Seahorse around the bay.
Location of hotel is a 10/15 minute walk to either Buggiba Square or Qawra.
Breakfast was adequate with a full English for 3 Euros.

Had a great holiday and would return to Qawra and to the Sunflower hotel, Thanks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear LIW,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments. I will pass on your favourable remarks regarding our staff to my colleagues on the management team so as to pass on to the staff. Such comments are always as source of encouragement to us.

I do hope that you will soon be able to return to Malta and to the Sunflower Hotel and take this opportunity to offer you our assistance with any future booking.

Best regards

Hotel Sunflower
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#7 of 12 in Mellieha
Relax Inn Hotel
Relax Inn Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bugibba

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!