“Lovely Hotel,great staff”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I think that most of the reviews on this site are really unfair.I don't know who you all are ,but you must be royalty or something.If the worst things you have ever experienced are a ten minute walk, toast for breakfast,and not seeing a stunning picturesque view from every window you look out off you must have led a VERY sheltered life.

We got stuck in Malta for an extra eight days because of the volcanic ash (we ate continental breakfast for 15 days in a row and we survived!),and the staff were lovely.They couldn't do enough.One day when our flights were cancelled for the third time ,and we were feeling a bit down a guy from reception brought up some icecream and cake to cheer us up.

What do you expect from a 3 star hotel?If you want a 5 star hotel stop being so tight and pay for one!The hotel was always clean ,the food was okay (well edible),and the staff were all really nice.I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.I would also thoroughly recommend that some of the people who wrote reviews just stay at home this year.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank katiet1

Reviewed 6 May 2010

*****I am aware that this hotel is a 3 star but I still feel their standards were exceptionally low in terms of customer satisfaction.*****
There’s not much I can say about the Sunflower, not much good that is. I can write an essay on the bad unfortunately, but, in the essence of staying positive, let’s start with the good.
The hotel is situated 10/15 minutes away from Bugibba square and Bugibba bus terminal as well as most amenities such as shops and restaurants and in this respect, it was a great hotel for us. You’re not too far away that you’re walking for miles before seeing anything but rundown apartment complexes, yet far away enough from the hustle and bustle of Bugibba centre. Quiet at most times, with the exception of lorries driving passed the front entrance some mornings and the usual noisy tourist yelling down the corridors.
Any noise made by the outside world was easily cut off by the balcony door which made a change to some hotels where the doors may as well be made of paper. As we were at the front of the hotel on the second floor, the view was, well, there was no view other than more buildings. However, we did not book the holiday with the intention to stay in the room the whole time, we actually spent most of our time sightseeing Malta so this didn’t bother us.
Room security was good, with the rooms double locking with sturdy doors and room safes were available for a small charge of around €1.75 a day. If requested with the door hanger, rooms were cleaned daily and a turn down service performed. Hangers were available in the wardrobe, only around 10 but the room also had 5 drawers. The size of the room was fairly decent; we requested a double room and were given two single beds pushed together, this is not uncommon for most hotels however.
Food at the Geranium restaurant was delicious BUT if you are a fussy eater, this it not for you. Every night there was a form of chicken and fish and on top of that a different type of meat also, however, I did not fancy a lot of the choices most nights as I am picky about my meat. If meat isn’t for you, pasta, chips and salad were available every day but after 2/3 days, this can become boring. In this respect, there is not a lot of choice for children which could be a problem. The restaurant is quite small so in summer months, I would be prepared to wait for a seat if the hotel gets busy. No hot food is served at breakfast.
The hotel offers a free shuttle bus service that you have to book before 9am and usually arrives around 9.30am to take you to the bus terminal. The last positive thing I can mention about this hotel would be some of the staff can be friendly and very helpful, but not all.
This brings me onto the negative side of things. We started the holiday with 5 English channels on the TV and halfway through, the TV turned off and came back on with 4. We had BBC entertainment, Sky News, Sky Sport, MTV and Discovery however we lost BBC entertainment, the only channel worth watching. When we inquired about this to reception, we were told a note would be left for maintenance to check, however, we never heard back during the whole holiday. This also happened when we told them our balcony light was the only one of the whole hotel that wasn’t working, yet again; we heard nothing and had to sit on the balcony with a tea light candle.
A lot of the staff didn’t speak English well or at all, especially at night, which made our complaints go unheard. When we informed the day staff of our problems, they didn’t seem to care. The beds were very uncomfortable, old lumpy mattresses sat on top of a piece of MDF stuck on legs. The blankets on the bed were made of wool which caused me a slight problem as I am allergic yet I didn’t bother to contact reception on this matter because of everything else that had happened so far I’m sure they wouldn’t have listened.
We were shocked as we had to pay for drinks at dinner even though we had paid for a half board status but as I hadn’t experienced this previously, I was told afterwards that many hotels will do this, so although I was disappointed, it seems that it’s not really a negative point. The balcony table and chairs were covered in a layer of dirt which made them not very pleasant to sit at in the evenings or if you wanted to sit outside for a cigarette you’d be better off standing.
The maids did a nice job cleaning the room every day, that was what I thought at least until half way through the holiday when we entered the room after being out all day to find our balcony door wide open and the wet dirty towels we had left on the bathroom for the maid to change had just been folded and placed back on the rail.
The facilities within the hotel are limited. An indoor pool and a whirlpool that didn’t work are available next to a games room that contained 3 old games machines that looked like they belonged in the ‘80’s. The indoor pool did not have a changing room available in it yet the staff tell you off if you do not change or dry off before leaving the area as you drip water everywhere.
My last negative point about this hotel would be the biggest and unfortunately, make me never want to willingly return to this hotel again. When we received the paperwork for the weeks stay, we had requested late check in, late check out and a double room. We didn’t arrive at the hotel until 10pm due to a late flight and checked in fine and as I mentioned previously were given a room with two single beds pushed together, which is not uncommon for a ‘double room’.
However, when it came to check out, we spoke to someone on reception the day before, making sure our late check was going to honoured as so many of our other requests had gone unheard and the normal check out time was 11.00am. This wouldn’t normally be a problem but as we were being collected from the hotel at 6.15pm by the transfer staff, we had 7 hours to kill where we weren’t allowed in our room and the only place we could keep our baggage was a room accessible to anyone else keeping their baggage in there.
To me, this was quite literally, the last straw. We called the transfer staff and asked if there was any possibility they could collect us earlier and we would just spend our time at the airport. Thankfully, they did and we arrived at the airport at 2pm.
The hotel gave us the ‘reasoning’ that if they gave us ‘special treatment’ they would have to help others asking for favours. They offered us the room until 3pm, at a cost to us of an extra €12 and €2.50 for every hour after that. We asked if the room was booked for that day and tried to tell them that if it wasn’t and if we stayed a little later, what difference would it make?
At the end of our stay, I was fuming with the unhelpfulness of the staff and the state of the hotel. The rest of the holiday was wonderful and yet, the hotel still managed to get on my nerves and ruin things. Considering all of the hotels I have stayed in over the years, I’ve never had one where the staff were so unwilling to do everything they could to make my stay as good as possible, especially as we paid quite a lot to stay in this so called 3 star hotel. I would highly recommend no one bothers to stay here if they have a choice; never again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vixst
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My hubsand and I booked this hotel with reservations as the reviews were mixed. We need not have worried. The hotel is clean. The staff were polite, friendly and very helpful. This stems from the senior management. Unfortunately we had to stay a few extra days because of the volcanic ash cloud over Europe. The manager Joseph could not have been more helpful or accommodating.
The chef Charles prepared lovely tasty food for dinner every day. There was something for everyone. The menu varied every night.
Yes the hotel is in a residential area but this is not a bad thing. The pubs pelt out music into the early hours it is nice to be able to come away from this as a lot of the hotels are in the centre close to the bars.
The main square is about 10 minutes walk away also the bus station. If you ask at reception in the morning they will provide you with a taxi free of charge to take you to the station. If you are able to it is a pleasant stroll.
This is a 3 star hotel good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chelseaLondonUk
Reviewed 16 April 2010

stayed at the sunflower for a week with two teenage gailrs and my wife. we had two double rooms which were cleaned everyday and had fresh towels each day as well.
food in restaurant was varied each day and there was plenty to choose from as well.
location is not ideal as it is in the middle of a housing estate but does have the bonus of not being too rowdy at the weekends outside.
overall a pleasant stay and would go back again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sibby50
Reviewed 5 November 2009

2 star hotel at best. Derelict building sites on two sides. Poor entertainment. Location of hotel in a residential area.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

me and friends have just arrived back from a fantastic 2 week holiday in malta with thomas cook and had a lovley time.
The hotel staff including reception and maids were very helpful indeed.the standard of the hotel is what you would expect from a 3 star hotel if you want a luxury 5 star resort then put your hand in your pocket and fork out for it instead of being tight and complaining that the brochure is wrong when its actually you that is wrong!
the food is repetitive every morning for breakfast BUT WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE EAT FOR BREAKFAST??????everything that is served for breakfast is normal breakfast food unless i live on a different planet and have a weird taste for breakfast!
Yes there is cats outside the hotel but the hotel is on a residential estate and i believe in subaran areas people have cats as pets the cats dont go shopping for them lovley collars they wear!
Again pool size is small but as the hotel is small why does the pool need to be the size of the atlantic ocean!
The hotel is in a nice part of town and within walking disatance of the main town square the reception still offer a free bus in to town but obviously people dont like walking 100 yards this obviously explains the obesity problem in the uk.
you will enjoy the sunflower as much as we did as we are real people who know what to expect not these dreamers!AS IT IS A 3 STAR HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank jdl51
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This hotel was very nice, clean and friendly. The staff were lovely but then I found that all the maltese people are lovely. the breakfast is pretty pooh for choice but only cos it is a continental one. the pool is not brill for swimming in and I would not stay here if you got kids cos nothing to do. It is no t close to things so be prepared to walk and malta is very hilly. But you don't have to worry about staff, rooms, food, cleanliness or the weather.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!