“No way a 3 star!”

Euroclub Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
“No way a 3 star!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I travelled to Malta with my husband for a week long holiday, returning last week and all I can say is I am glad we were able to afford to move to another hotel! I have stayed in some dodgy places but this is by far the worst of all.

From the reviews on here previously, I wasn't expecting much but thought I'd give it a go, it was just a last minute deal and the price wasn't too bad. We arrived at the hotel and already the disappointment set in, after dropping other passengers off at some gorgeous hotels on the way in, the outside of the property left a lot to be desired, but hey don't judge a book by it's cover.

We walk in to the front desk, where there were 2 members of staff having a discussion. We stood there for a few minutes before we were actually acknowledged and after handing over necessary documents, we were shown to our room by one of the members of staff.

We got to the room, which was a twin (when I had asked for a double) and I immediately noticed there was no aircon unit. When I asked the lady she said 'some rooms have them and some rooms don't, but there's a fan there, is that not enough?' , well no, I would like to have aircon. She then asked us to wait in the room while she checked if another was available. I sat down on the bed and noticed there was paint dust all over the bed (obviously had come from the ceiling fan), so I was happy when she came back and said the manager would see us.

When we met the manager he said that I had booked a standard room and to have aircon I would need a superior room at an extra charge per head for the room and then a further charge for the aircon. I quickly said yes and paid. We were then shown up to our new room and I must admit it was better, the decor was a bit tired looking but you can't expect much from a supposed 3 star.

We settled into the room and as I went to use the bathroom, I noticed it clearly hadn't been cleaned properly after the last guest, due to the fact there were hairs all over the place. It was disgusting, my husband was ready to leave at that point, but I thought lets not let it ruin our holiday we'll just ask them to clean it. The lady from the front desk came up and said that they weren't expecting anyone to be in that room so it would have just had a quick clean and not a thorough one! The cleaners had gone home at this point but we agreed they would come in the next morning.

When we went for breakfast the next morning, there was a selection of the usual eggs, bacon, beans & sausages, they had one type of cereal and some bread for toast. Unfortunately, I dont eat any of that, totally down to personal taste and health choices, but I thought they may at least have some fruit (even a banana or an apple) or a yoghurt. We were booked as half board but at that point we figured we would end up eating out a lot. When I asked the receptionist about the breakfast, she said I should ask the breakfast staff or the chef. So a couple of days later I actually seen the manager standing near the doorway at breakfast.

I approached him and said is there anyway I could have some fruit or a yoghurt (I wasn't asking for a tropical fruit salad or anything) and he quickly cut me off saying 'this is a 3 star not a 4 star hotel'. My partner who was standing on the other side of him, gently touched him on the shoulder to get his attention and said 'yes we know it's not a 3 star' However, he didn't get to finish his sentence, the manager looked at my husband in disgust and said 'Don't touch me' in a confrontational manner.

Then, I think he saw the shock in our faces and realised that others were looking, he quickly put on a smile and said come to my office when you are finished with breakfast and walked off.

At that point we decided to leave and get another hotel.

That is just a snippet of the service we received for the 4 nights we stayed at the hotel, the staff were so unwelcoming and unhelpful. The pool facilities were awful, with mould growing inside the pool! We literally couldn't wait to get out of there each morning. There is no way this place should have 3 stars, we stayed in a 3 star for a night in Gozo and it was worlds apart from this place.

I would not recommend anyone to book here if you are looking for a relaxing holiday.

Also, if you notice any of the bad reviews on here the manager responds saying they didn't stay at the hotel. That is exactly what he is like in person combative and unapproachable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank dawnmcj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
surrey, england
Reviewed 5 August 2014

recently stayed at euroclub with my wife for a week on half board, it was my 1st stay but my wife visits regularly with her pals. the rooms are not luxourious but they are clean and anyway who wants to sit in a room! the food was fine again not fine dining but remember peeps you are not paying fortunes to stay here. in the watsons pub there is something on every night. it is in a great location for sightseeing as its very near the bus terminus. the staff are very friendly and i will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: ask for poolside if you want it quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hairybloke
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just come back from staying for 11 days All Inclusive at the Euroclub Qawra and we honestly had a good holiday there, not great, not fantastic but good.

When we arrived there was a mix up with our room due to incorrect information being sent to the hotel from Low Cost Holidays. The manager "Sayed" who was a very pleasant man offered us a replacement room straight away and we were sorted. The next morning we complained about the room we were allocated as it was not completely finished and had problems with the shower, lighting and ceiling fan. We contacted the manager "Sayed" who moved us to a much better room within an hour. He went out of his way to make our holiday stay a pleasant one.

Rachael who works on reception is a lovely person and is very helpful no matter what the request.

Rooms:
The room we stayed in for our holiday was bright breezy on the 4th floor overlooking the pool.
We had a small fridge which worked ok but had to be switched off during the night as it heated the room up. The ceiling fan was not much use as it blew warm air back down at you but kept the air circulating around the room. The beds were comfy and the bathroom was fit for the purpose except for the lack of water pressure when trying to get a warm shower. My wife and daughter had to settle for baths every night. I just settled for a cold shower.

Drinks:
The All Inclusive drinks arrangements were a bit of a pain. You could only get served drinks at the reception bar. So if you were at the pool area you had to go back and forth to reception for a drink. This was the same when you had your evening meal, there was no drinks facility in the restaurant. The drinks selection was limited but done the job for us. Beer is served in a can and water is served in a bottle which we thought was a good idea. The first bar person we encountered was Christian and found him really rude and nasty. It felt like you were inconvenience ing him when ordering a drink. Teresa (the other bar person) on the other hand was a lovely lady and was very friendly to me and my family. She is a credit to the hotel. Watsons pub next store was good entertainment but you had to go back and forth to the hotel reception bar if you wanted a drink. The All Inclusive was not included in Watson’s pub.

Food:
Breakfast was the usual English selection and was alright apart from the streaky bacon and lack of eggs every day. Lunch could only be ordered and eaten at the reception bar. There was a selection of four meals all accompanied which chips and salad. Evening meals had a limited selection of 5 heated containers. Usually two meats, a fish, potatoes and vegetables. There was tuna fish, boiled eggs and salad available but on a couple of occasions the tuna was missing. The meats had to be served by the restaurant staff so you couldn’t choose what cut or slice you wanted and felt guilty if you went up for more.

The restaurant air conditioning was never on and it was very hot during breakfast and evening meals. This was annoying for us as we had just been bathed / showered and then sweating like a pig whilst eating.

Pool Area:
The pool area is small but does the job in the sun. The pool area was kept clean and tidy every day by Harry the pool man. He worked very hard keeping everyone happy around the pool and we liked him a lot. The pool was closed for a day, drained, jet washed and painted whilst we where there. I was surprised how dirty the pool walls were. The pool was opened the next day. The pool area became very busy due to local vacationing Maltese families who basically took over the place with their screaming kids booting football at anything and anyone. We had to resort to going to the beach most days to get a little piece and quiet.

Local Places:
There are loads of shops and restaurants close to the hotel. The main beach front is a 5 minute walk away. The beach and sea are lovely and must be seen. We took the Horn Blower all day boat trip to Blue Lagoon, Comino and Gozo. This was the best boat trip I have ever been on and the Blue Lagoon is the cleanest and warming sea I have ever been swimming in. This trip is a must and it only cost 20 Euros each. Absolute holiday highlight for me.
Plenty of historical places to visit and are all within an hours bus ride.

Overall:
Nice hotel that needs some work and definitely AC installing and a revised All Inclusive program. Don’t expect a 3* when paying 2* prices. If you want more you have to pay more.
The hotel staff are the friendliest I have ever met whilst on holiday.
Malta is a beautiful place to see and stay.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the 4th floor with a pool view. Be advised that there are mosquitos so t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Philip W
STEVENAGE
Reviewed 3 August 2014

As Talking Heads so eloquently put in their tune "Road to nowhere" for that I'm afraid is where your at if you think that comparing the San Antonio Spa with Euroclub is anyway a fair scrap....a bit like comparing Man Citeh's transfer budget with that of Grimbsy's!!! I trust you've seen the prices over at the San Antonio Spa (recently refurbished).....well into 4 figures on Travel Republic MINUS your flight!! Anyway rant over!! my review of the Euroclub?......lets start with what I paid for 2 weeks (give or take) B & B....somewhere in the region of 250 notes...for that money I got...
- a nice room...comfy bed and cleaned daily and was able to have a shower/shave and that
- nice breakfast in a clean restaurant.....certainly enough to keep me sustained
- the staff are brill.....really very friendly from the night receptionist who was always helpful in getting water in the early hours...to Sayed who I must is very professional and understanding, in fact I would go so far as to say that he's destined for bigger and more expensive hotels...takes his job seriously but in a professional manner that is really comforting,he's a blinding wee fella....and the blond lady too (sorry name really does escape me) who again does a fine job in sorting out any issues that may or may not arise throughout your stay(doh :-)!!!)
- the location is 2nd to none...if you want a base then you could do a lot worse for the money
- round the pool is ok.....I never really frequented, bar 1/2 hour here and there but I saw plenty of happy faces and kids playing in a clean pool with sun loungers round it..what more do you want?
- Watsons Bar again wasn't a regular but was clean and tidy....cold beer and hot snacks...again..what more do you want...?

On the downside...well its not in anyway the fault of the hotel this but those rooms that overlook Incognito's are man o man noisy...from the local boy racers with widened exhausts to the apartments across the road and folk chatting until early hours....then every Thursday Dennis does his trick with murdering Neil Diamond...then he gets a karaoke going...finally a disco....no bad thing really but if its the night before your home time...or you want a quiet night in...nightmare!!! Just try and get a room over looking the pool and you'll be laughing
TV's are not up to much....SKY News in the end will do your head in!!!

But to conclude I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget or if you just want to use it as a base for a week or so to explore the island.....Sayed and his team will welcome you in a very nice way and will do their very best to insure your stay is enjoyable and a price that you will find amazing!!! RECOMMEDED!!!

Room Tip: Definite a pool looking room!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank TheStath
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 6 day stay at Euro club with my colleagues and kids, this was our first time visiting Malta and for some of the kids their first experience of foreign travel. We stayed all inclusive and on arrival I was a bit concerned by other guests reviews. The rooms were clean and the staff were friendly, the pool was small but nice. My only complaint was the all inclusive, the meals were good but limited choice for kids although as they were healthy options they ate well, the desert menu was cake or melon and cake was only on offer twice. When I explained melon was a started not a desert the server was not amused!!! the drinks were flat and it is a long walk from the pool to the all inclusive bar which is situated at reception. I was concerned the kids would slip as the tiles were wet and it was a lengthy trek from pool to reception. There were no snacks for kids. Apart from the food and drink dilemma which would stop me from recommending this hotel to anyone, we all enjoyed our stay, Hari who works at the pool is a wonderful, hard working and friendly guy and the kids loved him, he made their holiday and will be in their memories forever, huge thanks to him, he even sang and danced with us at karaoke nights in the hotel bar, a true asset to the hotel. All in all we had a wonderful trip to Malta and will return again probably not to Euro club sadly due to all inclusive package which we need for the kids, but will visit the staff as they were lovely. PS good location.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynn R
North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very run down ????"hotel" rooms basic if you want anything like kettle in your room you will have to ask for it we were all inclusive for 7 days supposedly we arrived late on the 24th so had no evening meal or drinks so our first day started on the Friday. We left the hotel the following Thursday and were only allowed breakfast so that is false advertising for a start. I asked on the friday mornng to have the air conditioning switched on and confirmed I was already aware that this had an additional charge I was happy to pay for this as the ceiling fans were hopeless, i was told they would get them switched on by the time we came back , this didn't happen I again asked the following day and was told that they needed to do something as there was a problem with it but again they would sort it , still didn't happen sunday again i was told it would be fixed that day after that I just gave up . The pool tiles were filthy however they closed the pool and emptied it on the Sunday night ,used a jet wash to remove the mold and painted over the more stubborn areas to cover them up the pool was then re filled and should have remained out of use to allow the chemicals to settle but was back in use before the end of the day. The English staff were pleasant but the guy on the bar in reception not sure his name but someone said they thought it was Chris was really unpleasant never saw him smile once and when you put in an order for drinks or lunch he made you feel that you were inconveniencing him. Food choice was pretty much non existent very little choice , one evening my kids could eat nothing on offer so we had to get them something outwith the hotel. In the restuarant again English staff were pleasant, there was a tall bonde woman with glasses who stood over proceedings which I found a bit off putting you felt that you were going to be pounced on if you ate too much . I would rate it as less than 2star and would say even at the price it was not value for money if it hadn't been for us looking to book with the San Antonio round the corner for next year and getting access to this for the full week we would not have had such a good holiday we were in the San Antonio every day and would say that this hotel was everything the euro club was not great staff great food clean great entertainment will definately be going back to the San Antonio but if you are wise anyone reading this will avoid the euro club unless you are OK with paying over the odds for a poor hostel standard ,will not be back and will most definately not be recommending it to anyone I had read some of the reviews but had already booked but tend to make up my own mind but all the bad reviews appear to be accurate this was booked online through super escapes who got the hotel through low cost beds super escapes are also a nightmare to deal with and have written review about them aswell I would advise anyone in their right mind to avoid all 3 but would thoroughly recommend the San Antonio

Room Tip: Don't touch it if you are wise stayed in better hostels
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank evb1963

Travellers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Kildare
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just back home after spending a week at this hotel and found it to be better than expected after reading some of the reviews on here. I should not have read these reviews as I was worried sick with what might greet me on arrival in malta. I need not have worried.
I stayed in room 412 and found it cleaned daily and more than adequate for our needs with a pool view. The best way to describe the hotel is that it's very similar to self catering appartments elsewhere in sunny holiday destinations with all inclusive and 24hour added.
The staff were excellent and food was above average.
The only suggestion I would have is that the hotel broaden it's all inclusive to include ice cream and snacks between main meals as well as a wider drinks selection in all inclusive bar even if it means charging more for all inclusive package.
My wife and I had a lovely holiday and we will return again to the euroclub.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank 49jimmy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bugibba
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#10 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Euroclub Hotel? Share your experiences!